The Student Room Group

Want to sue the university

I am a local ethnic minority research student in Scotland, with registered long-term illnesses, who haven't been treated well by supervising staff. Lots of service failure, wilful negligence, behaviour borderline on indirect discrimination having set me up to fail once.

I went through all the complaints handling procedures, got local politicians' help...all the way up to the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) that is currently investigating. The university is dragging their feet on any formal investigations they have promised as well as their response to SPSO's information request.

I have to get this sorted by the end of this month since I am on academic probation which I have to pass...already discussing with the only lawyer I managed to find last month, who said he would charge more than 200 quid + VAT per hour even though he was the most junior one...Geez, how to afford that. He told me legal aid wasn't available for this type of services.

Neither the EASS nor Citizens Advice could refer me a lawyer since they said they were merely advisory services...feeling totally helpless and my life in shambles.

I can tell more via private messages if someone responds...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Those toxic university administrators accused me of being a "vexatious complainant" for raising concern over everything that endangers my well-being. Lots of horrible victim-blaming from them despite them claiming that "zero tolerance for harassment or discrimination" blah blah blah...they are simply protecting their academic staff rather than caring anything about their students.
Reply 2
Anyone having similar encounter and able to give humble opinion?
Reply 3
I suggest you leave /transfer to a different University/course and look for an alternative if you cant make the current situation work.

Think about what your end game is here? Wasting your time going to see solicitors is not healthy or a good use of your time, i don't see what you expect to gain from it frankly.

Further, if you want to sue a University, even with tens of thousands of pounds to do it, the case, if you have one would take years to get anywhere, long after you have gone, so i don't see the point, are you thinking you will get free cash out of it?

Go and see the student services and see if you can get on a better footing and pathway to success where you are. IF that's not possible then as i say leave and transfer to something more suitable.

You need to move forwards, just dwelling in negativity is not constructive. Sorry but you can only control your actions, not others. Good luck,
Reply 4
Original post by LsDad
I suggest you leave /transfer to a different University/course and look for an alternative if you cant make the current situation work.

Think about what your end game is here? Wasting your time going to see solicitors is not healthy or a good use of your time, i don't see what you expect to gain from it frankly.

Further, if you want to sue a University, even with tens of thousands of pounds to do it, the case, if you have one would take years to get anywhere, long after you have gone, so i don't see the point, are you thinking you will get free cash out of it?

Go and see the student services and see if you can get on a better footing and pathway to success where you are. IF that's not possible then as i say leave and transfer to something more suitable.

You need to move forwards, just dwelling in negativity is not constructive. Sorry but you can only control your actions, not others. Good luck,

No, I don't want a lawsuit, but I believe it is not unworthy spending a few dozen quid to get the lawyer write a letter before claim to the university to force them into a settlement so that I could get something out of it. I start losing my patience on waiting for the SPSO to come back with a decision which may not be fully in my favour.
Reply 5
I am fed up with the institutional abuse, but will never let them get their way. I must triumph over these psychopaths taking fun in ruining the life of disabled students.
Reply 6
What year are you in?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
No, I don't want a lawsuit, but I believe it is not unworthy spending a few dozen quid to get the lawyer write a letter before claim to the university to force them into a settlement so that I could get something out of it. I start losing my patience on waiting for the SPSO to come back with a decision which may not be fully in my favour.

Oh i see, so you are after a bit of cash, you want a financial settlement out of them, nice....
Good luck with that
Reply 8
Original post by LsDad
Oh i see, so you are after a bit of cash, you want a financial settlement out of them, nice....
Good luck with that

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean and how you come to such a conclusion about me?
Reply 9
Original post by Scotney
What year are you in?

I am a postgrad in their final year.
No, I don't want a lawsuit, but I believe it is not unworthy spending a few dozen quid to get the lawyer write a letter before claim to the university to force them into a settlement so that I could get something out of it.

I dunno if that letter is going to have the earth shaking effect on the unis well resourced legal team that you think it will.
Original post by StriderHort
I dunno if that letter is going to have the earth shaking effect on the unis well resourced legal team that you think it will.

This - particularly if they've already used the phrase "vexatious complainant"- they're prepared for any legal complaint and have already prepared their defense
Reply 12
No chance.
Reply 13
Original post by PQ
This - particularly if they've already used the phrase "vexatious complainant"- they're prepared for any legal complaint and have already prepared their defense

Why are you so sure?
Reply 14

I certainly know. What would be the best course of action then? Should I just let myself be subject to the 50% chance of expulsion and career destroyed by a bunch of narcissists refusing to take responsibility for service failure?
Why are you so sure?

Because unis aren’t in the habit of making themselves more liable. Especially when dealing with an ongoing issue. They’ll have chosen that wording specifically because they’re comfortable that’s what they’re dealing with from their POV.
Reply 16
Original post by Admit-One
Because unis aren’t in the habit of making themselves more liable. Especially when dealing with an ongoing issue. They’ll have chosen that wording specifically because they’re comfortable that’s what they’re dealing with from their POV.

Unless I am able to disprove them
I certainly know. What would be the best course of action then? Should I just let myself be subject to the 50% chance of expulsion and career destroyed by a bunch of narcissists refusing to take responsibility for service failure?

I can't give an answer to that tbh, I have no idea what happened in reality, bluntly I have no way of knowing if your complaints have merit. But I'm just telling you that while a pre action lawyers letter might scare a member of the public or maybe a small trader it will not worry/force an institution such as a university with ongoing representation and a budget for legal affairs. They also know fine well you won't get legal aid, you are basically bluffing on a bad hand.

As above 'Vexatious Complainant' is them making how they feel clear, it's the formal way of claiming you are a petty timewasting pain and they are done with trying to resolve it.
Reply 18
I can't give an answer to that tbh, I have no idea what happened in reality, bluntly I have no way of knowing if your complaints have merit. But I'm just telling you that while a pre action lawyers letter might scare a member of the public or maybe a small trader it will not worry/force an institution such as a university with ongoing representation and a budget for legal affairs. They also know fine well you won't get legal aid, you are basically bluffing on a bad hand.

As above 'Vexatious Complainant' is them making how they feel clear, it's the formal way of claiming you are a petty timewasting pain and they are done with trying to resolve it.

So what is the best course of action in your humble opinion? Waiting for the SPSO decision or something else?
So what is the best course of action in your humble opinion? Waiting for the SPSO decision or something else?

That's really the same query again. I can't answer, as much as I'm a Scottish alumni I've never had to fight with them or experience complaint processes. The only thing I weighed in on was to tell you that a lawyers letter won't faze them at all, especially if they're already calling you vexatious. For 200 p/h save your money imo, there might be a reason none but a rookie will take this task on.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending