The Student Room Group

University still hasn’t awarded my masters?

Hi so I completed a masters supposedly in June of 2023. However I still have not received my final results, qualification, certificate, graduation info etc…. I have sent at least one email a month since September but have either been getting ignored or been told “we’ll look into it” then never hearing back.
I do have results, but am told they need to be checked by the “officials” and averaged 70% (50% pass mark) so I definitely should have passed.
It was a new masters and the first year this university had ran it so I have been understanding that it may take a little more time, but it’s been almost a year now, and I’m hesitant to put it on my CV because I don’t actually have the official qualifications yet, and it’s been very inconvenient for applying to jobs who ask for proof of qualifications.

Im not sure what to do next? Is there somebody I can complain to? I have tried emailing the programme leads, the admin of the university, ringing the university and not getting anywhere.

Apart from it being a very tough 12 months masters, I also paid a lot of money to do it so i would like to be able to get the qualification!
Original post by Student_11899
Hi so I completed a masters supposedly in June of 2023. However I still have not received my final results, qualification, certificate, graduation info etc…. I have sent at least one email a month since September but have either been getting ignored or been told “we’ll look into it” then never hearing back.
I do have results, but am told they need to be checked by the “officials” and averaged 70% (50% pass mark) so I definitely should have passed.
It was a new masters and the first year this university had ran it so I have been understanding that it may take a little more time, but it’s been almost a year now, and I’m hesitant to put it on my CV because I don’t actually have the official qualifications yet, and it’s been very inconvenient for applying to jobs who ask for proof of qualifications.

Im not sure what to do next? Is there somebody I can complain to? I have tried emailing the programme leads, the admin of the university, ringing the university and not getting anywhere.

Apart from it being a very tough 12 months masters, I also paid a lot of money to do it so i would like to be able to get the qualification!

The university will have a formal process for making a complaint. You don't mention what university you were at, so I can't provide you any details of that process.

If a formal complaint to the university doesn't work, you can raise the issue with the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education, at https://www.oiahe.org.uk/.
Oftentimes you just need to be extremely persistent. Unfortunately this is quite time consuming for you, but it can be hard to get traction otherwise.

I had a similar experience for my CertHE which didn't get awarded until nearly 18 months after I finished the course - and only then because the last 3 of those months I went to campus once or twice a week every week to follow up with them to make sure it did get awarded (and correctly - as initially they sent me a certificate for the wrong qualification...). I hadn't been able to go to campus before then as I didn't live nearby after the course finished for a year.

I did look into the formal complaint process at that uni for after I got the certificate but I was so drained by that time I didn't go through with it as it would've just been even more time and effort.

Quick Reply

Latest