The Student Room Group

dental hygiene apprenticeship?

hi! i was wondering if there were any alternative pathways to dental hygiene other than university. i have done some research but have only got very vague answers so i’m still left confused. i was wondering whether if i completed the following apprenticeships:
- dental nurse level 3
- oral health practitioner level 4
if i would be able to become a dental hygienist through that pathway. on a couple websites it’s said that those apprenticeships can be a progression towards dental hygiene but not necessarily explaining how to actually become one (if possible) after completing both those apprenticeships. any advice would be appreciated:smile:
As far as I know, you need to do the Oral Health Science degree (Dental hygiene/ therapy degree) to qualify as a DHT. Many DHT students are/were dental nurses prior to starting their degree so I imagine that if it was as simple as doing an alternative qualification, most people would have done that instead of put themselves through 3 years of university.

I’m not 100% sure though so will tag @Dentaldreams who is a dental nurse applying for DHT to confirm.
Hi there,

Unfortunately there are no alternative pathways. I have done quite an extensive amount of research and have not come across any reliable sources.
As @Mesopotamian. stated you will have to complete an Oral Health Science degree or higher education diploma.

Thanks for the tag:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest