dental hygiene apprenticeship?

Watch this thread
rosia22055
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hi! i was wondering if there were any alternative pathways to dental hygiene other than university. i have done some research but have only got very vague answers so i’m still left confused. i was wondering whether if i completed the following apprenticeships:
- dental nurse level 3
- oral health practitioner level 4
if i would be able to become a dental hygienist through that pathway. on a couple websites it’s said that those apprenticeships can be a progression towards dental hygiene but not necessarily explaining how to actually become one (if possible) after completing both those apprenticeships. any advice would be appreciated
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
As far as I know, you need to do the Oral Health Science degree (Dental hygiene/ therapy degree) to qualify as a DHT. Many DHT students are/were dental nurses prior to starting their degree so I imagine that if it was as simple as doing an alternative qualification, most people would have done that instead of put themselves through 3 years of university.

I’m not 100% sure though so will tag Dentaldreams who is a dental nurse applying for DHT to confirm.
Dentaldreams
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

Unfortunately there are no alternative pathways. I have done quite an extensive amount of research and have not come across any reliable sources.
As Mesopotamian. stated you will have to complete an Oral Health Science degree or higher education diploma.

Thanks for the tag
Last edited by Dentaldreams; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (128)
40%