The Student Room Group

PGCEs help choosing

I'm a total failure. All I've done for the last ten years is phone and register with getintoteaching and not actually chosen a subject to teach or taken the jump. I was a welder. I went and re-did my GCSEs and then a access to HE, I worked very hard to get a 2:1 hon degree BSc psychology and to change my career a d life but I've ended up back welding and have been for the last 7 years. I so desperately want to use my degree and teach, but where do I start? How do I pick a subject please? I'm considering TA but I'm a little worried about how I can get enough hours and overtime in to pay the mortgage. Any advice would be appreciated and I feel like I've been going in circles for years
Original post by Adi9626
I'm a total failure. All I've done for the last ten years is phone and register with getintoteaching and not actually chosen a subject to teach or taken the jump. I was a welder. I went and re-did my GCSEs and then a access to HE, I worked very hard to get a 2:1 hon degree BSc psychology and to change my career a d life but I've ended up back welding and have been for the last 7 years. I so desperately want to use my degree and teach, but where do I start? How do I pick a subject please? I'm considering TA but I'm a little worried about how I can get enough hours and overtime in to pay the mortgage. Any advice would be appreciated and I feel like I've been going in circles for years

Go and get experience in a school to confirm that you want to do it.
Primary or Secondary?
Then in the Autumn, submit your UCAS Teacher Training application for nearby PGCE courses. (Depending on where you live SCITT may be a good option too.)
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
Go and get experience in a school to confirm that you want to do it.
Primary or Secondary?
Then in the Autumn, submit your UCAS Teacher Training application for nearby PGCE courses. (Depending on where you live SCITT may be a good option too.)

Thanks. That sounds good. I'm going to go change job in September and try it out as a TA. a new career is what I need. I know I want to teach secondary and I know I don't want to do psychology as it's not got available teaching jobs at the end of it and I don't want to go through years of that again, not being able to use my qualifications that I've spent do much money on. I'm confused as to start at the beginning with GCSEs and retrain. I'm certain that's I need that and a A level in the subject I want to teach but I've no idea how to pick. I'm wanting a job so I'm assuming it has to be something core like maths or biology as they have jobs going for them often. Been thinking ICT is up an coming too as pcs have been becoming more part of life. It's just knowing what to pick to ensure I don't fail to secure employment this time
Original post by Adi9626
Thanks. That sounds good. I'm going to go change job in September and try it out as a TA. a new career is what I need. I know I want to teach secondary and I know I don't want to do psychology as it's not got available teaching jobs at the end of it and I don't want to go through years of that again, not being able to use my qualifications that I've spent do much money on. I'm confused as to start at the beginning with GCSEs and retrain. I'm certain that's I need that and a A level in the subject I want to teach but I've no idea how to pick. I'm wanting a job so I'm assuming it has to be something core like maths or biology as they have jobs going for them often. Been thinking ICT is up an coming too as pcs have been becoming more part of life. It's just knowing what to pick to ensure I don't fail to secure employment this time

Don't worry about employment. Being a TA for a year is a good choice to get to experience everything. Most importantly, it's going to give you a lot of practice for how to speak to and interact with children - especially those harder to reach ones. Look on TES Jobs and eTeach for teaching assistant posts in your area and just go for it. If you can't secure one, join a supply agency as a TA (do this by start of August if you haven't secured a TA job). Make sure you hand your notice in for welding in time to start working in schools for September.
Reply 4
Original post by Adi9626

You are not a total failure! You are incredible. Look at what you've done, re-taken GCSEs, HE access, 2:1 in psychology! That is amazing having to juggle that and work!

Welding is also an amazing skill btw. You are exactly the sort of person that should be teaching. You have stacks of life experience.

How is your maths? If you can stomach doing another qualification (a subject knowledge enhancement) you'd get a bursary to cover your training and you'd walk into a job at the end of it.
Reply 5
Thanks. That's very kind of you. My maths is terrible. But that my just be my confidence. I got a B when I re-did the GCSE. I'd have to do the online A-level for it. I'm looking forward to the scary TA stuff. Unfortunately I do this every year around September and have done for years, and I often find an excuse and end up back where I started. I'm curious to find if others go through this same cycle or if there's something I'm missing that I need to get me started.
Hi @Adi9626,
I think the fact that you went back to study shows extreme resilience and determination. It is hard to take the plunge in the unknown.
Why not get back in touch with your teaching adviser from Get into Teaching? If you have forgotten their details, just call the Get into Teaching line on 0800 389 2500 and you will be assigned a new adviser. They will help you discuss all your options and help you set up school experience so you can decide the subject/phase you are suited best for, that is what they are here for.
Good luck!

Laure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending