The Student Room Group

I am a failure

I just need somewhere / someone to rant to and as silly as it sounds I thought I’d do it here. Let me start from the beginning of the year I applied and got into a masters for mental health after graduating with a psychology degree.

I found it so challenging and emotionally difficult so I dropped out in the first 3 days. I now work a full time job as a admin in a school not my passion at all - but it gives me some money. I know don’t even know what I want to do - I want to be a therapist / councillor but I don’t think I’m read to go to university.

I feel so lost and like a failure with everyone constantly bringing up my lost potential. I don’t even know what I want to do.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I just need somewhere / someone to rant to and as silly as it sounds I thought I’d do it here. Let me start from the beginning of the year I applied and got into a masters for mental health after graduating with a psychology degree.

I found it so challenging and emotionally difficult so I dropped out in the first 3 days. I now work a full time job as a admin in a school not my passion at all - but it gives me some money. I know don’t even know what I want to do - I want to be a therapist / councillor but I don’t think I’m read to go to university.

I feel so lost and like a failure with everyone constantly bringing up my lost potential. I don’t even know what I want to do.

Pontential does not go or get lost just because we struggle, if anything potential gets bigger if we dont achieve what we want. If you achieved and succeeded at everything, then it wouldnt be potential it would be reality.

The way i look at it you dropping out has potentially made you more efficient, as most therapists roles dont need a masters at all. If you want to be a counsellor you dont even need a degree, this is generally done as a practical diploma over a few years. Roles like psychological wellbeing practitioner or CBT therapist are generally done this way also, on the job and through specific trainee roles advertised through the NHS or MIND, so basically dust yourself off, and learn from this difficult period. You are not your failures, these are learning points, you either learn or you learn to beat yourself up.

I have failed at lots of things, and i can tell you now, while these were painful they have made me the person and therapist i am today. How can you help clients if you have never got a few scrapes and grown yourself.

Take care,

Greg
Reply 2
Original post by greg tony
Pontential does not go or get lost just because we struggle, if anything potential gets bigger if we dont achieve what we want. If you achieved and succeeded at everything, then it wouldnt be potential it would be reality.

The way i look at it you dropping out has potentially made you more efficient, as most therapists roles dont need a masters at all. If you want to be a counsellor you dont even need a degree, this is generally done as a practical diploma over a few years. Roles like psychological wellbeing practitioner or CBT therapist are generally done this way also, on the job and through specific trainee roles advertised through the NHS or MIND, so basically dust yourself off, and learn from this difficult period. You are not your failures, these are learning points, you either learn or you learn to beat yourself up.

I have failed at lots of things, and i can tell you now, while these were painful they have made me the person and therapist i am today. How can you help clients if you have never got a few scrapes and grown yourself.

Take care,

Greg

Hey Greg,

Thanks so much for that, as silly as it sounds I needed to just let it out. I also wondered what do you think is the best way to get experience for therapist roles as a lot of places don’t seem to like people shadowing. I know that the therapist applications are also very competitive.

Also how did you decide what type of therapy / therapist you wanted to be - and how did you decide your course? Is it similar to a masters or is it more like you train and you go?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hey Greg,

Thanks so much for that, as silly as it sounds I needed to just let it out. I also wondered what do you think is the best way to get experience for therapist roles as a lot of places don’t seem to like people shadowing. I know that the therapist applications are also very competitive.

Also how did you decide what type of therapy / therapist you wanted to be - and how did you decide your course? Is it similar to a masters or is it more like you train and you go?

It doesnt sound silly to me, venting is perfectly normal. Not good for any of us to bottle things up.

I went down the clinical psychologist route. I wanted to be a psychologist as it allowed me a greater breadth of working, allowing me to work with all age groups and areas and use any therapy modality i want. I also like working within larger teams in more complex areas, currently work in a CAMHS team and its very challenging/rewarding. Like any job it wont suit everyone though.

Shadowing is very difficult due to the nature of the work. Therapy in my eyes is about relationships and being a therapist is about how reflective you are to yourself and others within this space. These skills can be gained in lots of different areas, basically anywhere you get 1 to 1 connections with others, such as care homes, schools, healthcare areas etc. If you want to actually train and do therapy then google the roles and services i said earlier. It is a big space to explore, so speak to people about their day to day roles to get a flavour of what sort of skills and interests you have already.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest