The Student Room Group

Feeling like Trash right now. I've potentially failed a first year module.

So, i'm not going to sugarcoat it, theres been an awful lot going on in my life recently.
I've had a rough time these last 6 months, with years of chronic depression, and anxiety finally leading to a breakdown. On top of this, i've had to serve as a carer (or at least a support carer) for my younger brother with severe autism, who occasionaly has violent meltdowns against my mother to which i have to be within running distance of them to split them up at all times, and who also makes loud shouting noises throughout the night, which has made me severely sleep deprived. Years of dealing with this all built up, leading to the breakdown. I had a phase of coming close to suicide (thankfully, i'm no longer in that state of mind), and i was in an extremely dark place.

Needless to say, i've not been able to do much uni work, but i have started going to therapy, and taking medication. I've had about 7 therapy sessions in total, and only finished very recently. But then, my cousin died, at only 32. It's been a massive blow to my family, and i've had to pick up more care duties whilst my mum handles the loss (she was a lot closer than i was). The funeral was only today.

As you can imagine though, i'm very behind on this module. The other 2 modules i'm also doing right now, i've managed to keep myself above 55 marks on each (much easier modules), which isn't as much as foundation year and the first half of year 1, but is decent. But the third one is just bad. It's a programming module, to which there is 2. The first one i did in the first half of the year, to which i scored 89/100. The second one (different programming language, a lot more complex), well, i suffered the breakdown very early on during it. I wasn't able to keep up, and haven't done really anything. I've not been able to with everything thats going on. 5/100 marks. I pretty much wrote 1 line.
I've even applied for an EEC plan, though i've been told i need more evidence. Apparently, several screenshots of my medical records showing each time i went to the GP about my condition, pictures of my perscription, and screenshots of all the therapy sessions (call log on Teams and email comfirmations of the sessions) doesn't cut it. I'm still waiting on student wellbeing to write a supporting statement, and my brothers new social worker to also write a statement.

I really don't know how to feel about the situation. I've heard people say failing a year 1 module doesn't matter, i've heard others say it does. But what really bothers me is the feeling of going from 89/100 on a program, to 5/100. I really feel like trash submitting 1 line of code (which is all i've got). Anybody have any advice on what failing a first year module would mean if i'm not able to get a EEC plan, and how to cope with this feeling of failing? Sorry for the long paragraph.
Hi,

I'm sorry that sounds like you have alot on your plate right now. Have student support service at your university got back to you? Would you maybe be able to retake that exam? At my university they have extenuating circumstances policies, that give leeway to students who may have failed, and they can retake assignments and exams, or get more support.
If you are struggling with a particular module, is there a module lead or main lecturer that you could contact who can help you and give more support?
For first year at university, you only need 40% to pass and get onto second year, I think this is generally for most universities in the UK. But with extenuating circumstances they should let you to retake it.
I hope I helped, and look after yourself :smile:
you got this! x

Quick Reply

Latest