The Student Room Group

Getting a Pharmacy Job After Y13

I have recently completed my A-levels and I am now looking for a job. I want to work in a Pharmacy since I want to do MPharm at University. What are some job roles that I can look into applying for, with only my GCSEs and A-level predictions on my belt in terms of qualifications?
Original post by IK1326
I have recently completed my A-levels and I am now looking for a job. I want to work in a Pharmacy since I want to do MPharm at University. What are some job roles that I can look into applying for, with only my GCSEs and A-level predictions on my belt in terms of qualifications?

See if there's any counter assistant or dispenser roles, many will be apprenticeship so you get a qualification
You dont need w/exp for Pharmacy, you just need to know what the job entails and have an idea of how this fits in with the rest of the NHS.

There wiil be Clearing places in August for Pharmacy - including at good STEM Unis like Bath,
Anyone who starts a degree spending £37k in fees, and half a decade of their life might want to see the job they are going to be doing at the end of the course, whether it's required or not. So good idea as c.65% of pharmacy graduates end up in community pharmacy, hospitals/GPs around 25%.
Many people pick pharmacy in clearing knowing nothing about it because they have missed their grades for dentistry or medicine. A couple of years ago I had a Saturday boy in one shop I used to locum at, and he had done exactly that, and hated his degree, and his job! He missed by one grade, so should have re-sat and taken the course he wanted to do, but felt under pressure from friends and family to 'do something'. This is much more common that you would think, hence lots of pharmacists trying to get into GEM.
Original post by IK1326

Hi @IK1326

You could apply for job roles such as a (trainee) pharmacy advisor, trainee dispenser or a medicines counter assistant.Have you googled any pharmacy vacancies?
You could try and hand in your CV to local pharmacies, that way if any pharmacies do have any vacancies or are suffering from staff shortages they have your details to hand - plus it would be a good way to get your name out in the pharmacy world!

I hope this helps :smile:
Aaliya ~ 3rd year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi @IK1326

You could apply for job roles such as a (trainee) pharmacy advisor, trainee dispenser or a medicines counter assistant.Have you googled any pharmacy vacancies?
You could try and hand in your CV to local pharmacies, that way if any pharmacies do have any vacancies or are suffering from staff shortages they have your details to hand - plus it would be a good way to get your name out in the pharmacy world!

I hope this helps :smile:

Hi aaliya
I have a few questions about pharmacy as I am interested in studying it and wanted to ask if I can message you directly to ask them?
Original post by starrystudent987
Hi aaliya
I have a few questions about pharmacy as I am interested in studying it and wanted to ask if I can message you directly to ask them?

Hi @starrystudent987

That's fine to ask any questions related to pharmacy privately :smile:
You can also ask on this thread too, your questions may also help other students on TSR :smile:

Best wishes,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending