The Student Room Group

autistic pharmacist??

Ok so I'm very interested in studying pharmacy, possibly working in a hospital afterwards (long time away) but I'm worried I won't be able to cope as a hospital pharmacist. I know I would hate working community, as I often get overwhelmed in shops and on shopping trips (and then I find a quiet shop to sit down on the floor at the back lol), also the thought of trying to 'sell'/advertise anything makes me recoil, especially medicine related things for profit, I find unethical. I've also heard you don't use your degree as much in community and become a 'glorified shopkeeper' - not sure how true this is? I struggle with eye contact regarding people I don't know, and have anxiety. Also, I get scared going to the doctors, because official appointments just set off my autism in an extreme way. I've also started to become anxious in any clinical environment, mainly because I have only ever had negative experiences in these places. This might seem like I'm entirely unsuited to the job, however, I've got over much worse anxiety triggers in the past (school, though I'm scared university would set it off again). A big problem for me is if I get too overwhelmed for too long everything comes crashing down and I'm unable to do said thing for a while (e.g. ended up not going to school for a year because of something 'minor'). Reading this, you might think I'm incapable of anything, but I'm currently doing really well overcoming my anxiety. The thing is I can't gauge how working would affect me, having never had a job. Once I got used to something, it would be a lot better. I wouldn't even be going to university for a few years, despite the fact I'll be y13 in sep (have to do extra sixth form or foundation year bc grades owing to the aforementioned missed school) so the situation with the anxiety will be a lot better I hope. Basically I just wondered if there are any people on here who are autistic and studying pharmacy, to see how they can cope with all that stuff and if they think autism wouldn't be too big of a barrier to overcome in becoming a pharmacist. On a positive note, I'm good at attention to detail and chemistry and interested in drugs in particular. Contrary to popular belief, I also would like helping people to get better, even if only in a small way. Anyway, opinions please. Bad choice of career, or?
Original post by icewaterforblood
Ok so I'm very interested in studying pharmacy, possibly working in a hospital afterwards (long time away) but I'm worried I won't be able to cope as a hospital pharmacist. I know I would hate working community, as I often get overwhelmed in shops and on shopping trips (and then I find a quiet shop to sit down on the floor at the back lol), also the thought of trying to 'sell'/advertise anything makes me recoil, especially medicine related things for profit, I find unethical. I've also heard you don't use your degree as much in community and become a 'glorified shopkeeper' - not sure how true this is? I struggle with eye contact regarding people I don't know, and have anxiety. Also, I get scared going to the doctors, because official appointments just set off my autism in an extreme way. I've also started to become anxious in any clinical environment, mainly because I have only ever had negative experiences in these places. This might seem like I'm entirely unsuited to the job, however, I've got over much worse anxiety triggers in the past (school, though I'm scared university would set it off again). A big problem for me is if I get too overwhelmed for too long everything comes crashing down and I'm unable to do said thing for a while (e.g. ended up not going to school for a year because of something 'minor'). Reading this, you might think I'm incapable of anything, but I'm currently doing really well overcoming my anxiety. The thing is I can't gauge how working would affect me, having never had a job. Once I got used to something, it would be a lot better. I wouldn't even be going to university for a few years, despite the fact I'll be y13 in sep (have to do extra sixth form or foundation year bc grades owing to the aforementioned missed school) so the situation with the anxiety will be a lot better I hope. Basically I just wondered if there are any people on here who are autistic and studying pharmacy, to see how they can cope with all that stuff and if they think autism wouldn't be too big of a barrier to overcome in becoming a pharmacist. On a positive note, I'm good at attention to detail and chemistry and interested in drugs in particular. Contrary to popular belief, I also would like helping people to get better, even if only in a small way. Anyway, opinions please. Bad choice of career, or?

Hey, there! I'm sorry that I can't help you with the pharmacy stuff, but I have a suggestion that'll really help. I am also autistic. I get overstimulated everywhere I go, especially hospitals or restaurants, so my parents got me these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B091CQH6VT/ref=twister_B0973K1R32?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I cannot begin to tell you how much these have helped me, I am now able to go out and enjoy myself without having a panic attack in public and a shutdown for the rest of the week. It does cost a very pretty penny, but it is worth it. Hope this helps:smile:
Original post by icewaterforblood

Hi
Working in a hospital and community may possibly be too much for you, from all that you describe, and it can be very, very stress inducing dealing with the general public, especially if they start to kick off.
Do you enjoy lab work, as that would probably be a relatively much calmer environment to study in and also work in later. Perhaps a pure science, like biology or chemistry, then maybe a MSc and try to move into working for something like a drug company. I think you would find it more suited to you and a much calmer environment than doing something in healthcare with patients, which can be triggering, stressful, short-staffed, and you would be constantly talking to the general public, and that might not be good for you?

As you have never had a job, have you looked into volunteer work in a local charity shop? That would give you a chance to maybe do a morning or an afternoon, and might be a good short introduction to work.
Regarding going to university, there is always the OU open university, where you could live at home and study a science degree online. You would need to go in to do some lab work if you pick a practical science though I believe.

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/chemistry/degrees/bsc-chemistry-r59

this sounds good, so many options to make your own degree basically!
https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/science/degrees/bsc-combined-science-maths-technology-engineering-r28?setAcc=true

(Do keep in mind, that around two-thirds of pharmacy graduates 65%-ish still end up in community i.e. a shop!)
Hope this helps
Good luck!
hi yes I think I would be more suited to lab work - thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending