The Student Room Group

gap year for pharmacy

i want to know what stuff i can do during my gap year so i can apply for mpharm / mpharm foundation 2023 entry
i know some stuff:
- do an apprenticeship but leave after a year, so they can see i have been doing smth
-volunteer at a pharmacy? somehow?
-work at a pharmacy part time?
Original post by 5_ooo
i want to know what stuff i can do during my gap year so i can apply for mpharm / mpharm foundation 2023 entry
i know some stuff:
- do an apprenticeship but leave after a year, so they can see i have been doing smth

They all sound like great ideas! Remember to have some fine aswell:smile:

@artful_lounger might have some more ideas:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by _Rusty_

thank you, and you mean time right or?😅
Reply 3
anyone have any other ideas?
Reply 4
If you can intern even for a few months, voluntary or otherwise, it will help a lot in boosting your portfolio.
Original post by _Rusty_

Sorry, I saw this notification and meant to reply then forgot completely!

Original post by 5_ooo
i know some stuff:

I gather that for pharmacy work experience or voluntary work isn't necessary, but it might be helpful. Since you're planning to take a gap year anyway, I expect looking for a job in a pharmacy (any job really) would probably be very helpful so you can get an understanding of what it's like to work in that environment, better understand what a pharmacist does in relation to the other employees there and the interactions between pharmacist, pharmacy tech, customer service people etc in there :smile:

Since it's a gap year definitely prioritise finding paid work I think. However for some things (such as hospital pharmacy, or pharmacy in a GP surgery) you might not realistically be able to get paid work but they could be valuable experiences to see how they differ from commercial community pharmacy in a big chain where you are more likely to get a paid job, so a short period of unpaid work experience or shadowing in those settings may be handy (they could also help with applying to a paid position in a chain pharmacy somewhere).
Original post by artful_lounger
Sorry, I saw this notification and meant to reply then forgot completely!

I gather that for pharmacy work experience or voluntary work isn't necessary, but it might be helpful. Since you're planning to take a gap year anyway, I expect looking for a job in a pharmacy (any job really) would probably be very helpful so you can get an understanding of what it's like to work in that environment, better understand what a pharmacist does in relation to the other employees there and the interactions between pharmacist, pharmacy tech, customer service people etc in there :smile:

Since it's a gap year definitely prioritise finding paid work I think. However for some things (such as hospital pharmacy, or pharmacy in a GP surgery) you might not realistically be able to get paid work but they could be valuable experiences to see how they differ from commercial community pharmacy in a big chain where you are more likely to get a paid job, so a short period of unpaid work experience or shadowing in those settings may be handy (they could also help with applying to a paid position in a chain pharmacy somewhere).

Np :lol:
See if you can do the level 2 pharmacy assistant course...
Reply 8
Original post by 5_ooo
i know some stuff:

I was on a gap year this past year too, hopefully starting MPharm in september. I worked part time during the gap year and did quite a lot of travelling. How was your gap year, and are you still planning on going for Pharmacy this september?
Reply 9
Original post by kraw9
I was on a gap year this past year too, hopefully starting MPharm in september. I worked part time during the gap year and did quite a lot of travelling. How was your gap year, and are you still planning on going for Pharmacy this september?

nice to hear! my gap year was pretty chill, mostly helped out at home and recovered from alevels lol they took a toll on my mind.. this year im starting my foundation/prepatory mpharm year.. quite nervous but excited at the same time :-)
Reply 10
Original post by 5_ooo
nice to hear! my gap year was pretty chill, mostly helped out at home and recovered from alevels lol they took a toll on my mind.. this year im starting my foundation/prepatory mpharm year.. quite nervous but excited at the same time :-)

oh nice! what uni are you going to? i’m looking forward to get back into education, my brain feels dead after a year of just chilling out lol. i just hope my timetable is not too hectic
Reply 11
Original post by kraw9
oh nice! what uni are you going to? i’m looking forward to get back into education, my brain feels dead after a year of just chilling out lol. i just hope my timetable is not too hectic

i'm going to uni of reading.. what uni are you going to? and samee i kind of miss being in education haha but i'm going to miss being able to actually sleep in😭
Reply 12
Original post by 5_ooo
i'm going to uni of reading.. what uni are you going to? and samee i kind of miss being in education haha but i'm going to miss being able to actually sleep in😭

i’m off to uni of wolverhampton.. i didn’t even think about not being able to sleep in anymore, that’s depressing😭
Sounds like a great plan :smile: Hope the gap year goes well
Original post by 5_ooo

Hey @5_ooo,
We thought we'd just jump in here and say hi! We hope you enjoyed your gap year - the nerves about starting are totally normal! If you have any questions about starting here at Reading please give us a shout and we'll do our best to answer them :smile:
Kat
BA History Graduate

Quick Reply

Latest