The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get pharmD with bachelor's in pharmacology

Hello, I'm currently studying pharmacology, is there a way to get the pharmD without restarting
Unclear exactly what country you are studying in or what your goal is. In the UK the usual pre-reg pharmacy course is the MPharm. You could do it as a second degree after a BSc in Pharmacology but you'd need to start from the beginning so there's little point in doing the pharmacology course beforehand unless you changed your mind after originally deciding against pharmacology.

If you want to become a dispensing pharmacist though a pharmacology degree doesn't do anything to progress you to that goal in the UK.

In other countries such as the US where the pre-reg pharmacy course may be a postgraduate degree then a pharmacology undergraduate is probably a fine first degree.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
Unclear exactly what country you are studying in or what your goal is. In the UK the usual pre-reg pharmacy course is the MPharm. You could do it as a second degree after a BSc in Pharmacology but you'd need to start from the beginning so there's little point in doing the pharmacology course beforehand unless you changed your mind after originally deciding against pharmacology.

If you want to become a dispensing pharmacist though a pharmacology degree doesn't do anything to progress you to that goal in the UK.

In other countries such as the US where the pre-reg pharmacy course may be a postgraduate degree then a pharmacology undergraduate is probably a fine first degree.

My goal is to be a registered pharmacist or work in pharmaceutical company, I'm planning on doing a second degree in Pharmacy in any EU country, that is if bsc in Pharmacology isn't useful, what are your thoughts, could furthering in pharmacology get me any where good in the pharmaceutical industry?
Original post by Hidunno
My goal is to be a registered pharmacist or work in pharmaceutical company, I'm planning on doing a second degree in Pharmacy in any EU country, that is if bsc in Pharmacology isn't useful, what are your thoughts, could furthering in pharmacology get me any where good in the pharmaceutical industry?

You can work in a pharmaceutical company with a pharmacology degree, but you couldn't work as a pharmacist with it.

While it's not useful in the sense that it's not going give you advanced entry at least in the UK (I can't speak for EU countries - this website focuses mainly on UK universities and courses), the content may make things a bit easier when you do start the pharmacy course. However you would still need to start from the beginning and undertake all the same assessments as someone who hadn't done such a degree.

A PhD might be desirable for industry for working in more research based/scientific roles, for more managerial positions a BSc would likely be sufficient to start off on a graduate role I would imagine. Again this is based on my knowledge of the sector in the UK - in the EU things might be different as there might be specific regulations there which don't exist in the UK.
Original post by Hidunno

To be a registered pharmacist, Im afraid you need a degree in pharmacy (not pharmacology) and do a 2 year registration period after graduating (it is currently 1 year but will be 2 years) . In the uk, MPharm is the equivalent of a PharmD stateside and is the degree you need to be a pharmacist in thr uk (you can have a bachelor of Pharmacy from abroad but you need to do a 1-1.5 year conversion course called ospap for it to be recognised as an MPharm in the UK).

A British PharmD, which is the equivalent of an American PharmD PhD, you need a degree in pharmacy.

In terms of getting jobs in pharma, a pharmacology degree is ok but you need a degree in pharmacy or medicine to be a signatory in medical affairs, as well as some senior regulatory affairs roles.
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending