The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

saima-10
Should be okay :yep: they're still giving out offers obv.....

that I haven't heard back from yet!!! :frown: :s-smilie:

Cheers. I will e-mail them now.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 621
Flummox
I have a BBB offer for English & Philosophy.

Congrats, hopefully I'll hear from them soon...
Reply 622
Hey guys, I'm new to TSR. I'm applying to study abroad at Edinburgh next year and after debating for a while over whether I should do a semester or a full year, I think I've finally decided to go for the year:smile:
Reply 623
Have any of you actually managed to get an offer from Edinbugh Uni?

After reading a letter in the paper about a girl who got 5As at As and is doing 3 languages & 2 Sciences (applying for languages) got rejected as her subjects aren't "diverese enough" and myself getting rejected when Im predicted 4As and typical offer is 3Bs I'm thinking there's just a bit of discrimination going on..
What subject is this?

I am still pending with a History (V100) application, I am predicted AAA, the typical offer is BBB (But the rarely give this. This is to people with little family and local further education backgrounds).
Reply 625
The girl in the paper was Modern Foreign Languages, think it was Spanish and French.
I've applied for french with european studies (RL92)

Wasn;t interested in going there, just appears a bit strange.
Maybe they just didn't like the girl? They can pick and choose as they please!
im english and got an offer for Physics Bac, offer ABB.
i do further maths, chem, physics and an AS in bio
I'm still waiting on Edinburgh :smile: although people doing the different parts of my course have started to receive offers/rejections (so far I've heard of 2 offers and 1 rejection) so I'm getting nervous now. I REALLY want to go!!

When I was at the open day I remember them telling us that for the really competitive courses they can have up to 30 applicants per place, so naturally there will be some surprises as to who gets rejected.
inksplodge
Maybe they just didn't like the girl? They can pick and choose as they please!

This. What a lot of twaddle to suggest that there is discrimination going on - that's the whole point of the application process; they pick who they like the look of and tell everyone else to go away. There could be a multitude of reasons why the girl featured in the OP was rejected, but my money would be on her having a poor personal statement. The personal statement is closely read by at least two admissions tutors at Edinburgh, which means if it isn't up to scratch, then you're not coming.

JakeCordell
I am predicted AAA, the typical offer is BBB (But the rarely give this. This is to people with little family and local further education backgrounds).

Again, complete rubbish. The typical offer is BBB because it's the typical offer. I've met very few people outside of medicine who came here with an offer different to BBB. It can hardly be an offer made to locals, given that Scots don't take A Levels.

There is no conspiracy theory; Edinburgh are not against English students, or anyone else. It is simply one of the most oversubscribed universities in the UK and subsequently they have very refined methods of selection. They don't always get it right, but more often than not they do.
Reply 630
I get the point but it was that other oversubscribed unis, also higher up in tables (although I get these cant be relied on completely), gave offers, including an invitation to apply for scholarship at Exeter.
Reply 631
I try not to listen to the anti-English conspiracy theories, because they just don't seem logical.

But stories like these make me really worry about just the general competitiveness of the uni :frown: I've applied with the minimun grades (34) and so my chance of getting an offer is incredibly slim, but I want to go there so badly! The course is perfect :frown:
It's very course dependent- History at Glasgow is usually AAB-ABB offers (did a spot of work back at clearing once), and the Arts faculty were usually full, so it was rare that someone missing this (though there was a small chunk of BBB students who were accepted without having to enter clearing on exam result day after missing their offer) gets in. For some reason though, Higher students tended to get in with ABBB or similar, which I would say is definitely less than the A level offers, but is in all likelihood to do with the 4 year honours in Scotland.

On the other hand, the 15-20 applications per place can be as little as three for some other subjects. Theres big concerns UK wide about computer science now, the bubble of the mid-late 90s seems to be well and truly over. To this end, we still had lots of places in clearing, and and this doesnt count people who were made offers on exam day despite missing their conditions. BBC was usually enough here, provided Maths was one of them.

There will be people with good grades, well above requirement who miss a place on a course simply because its got a lot of good candidates that year- entry changes every three years or so when they review how hard its been to get in based on the last few years intake. They'll change the 'typical' offer on the website, but in reality, if you get unlucky enough to catch a course with 20+ applications per place, a bad personal statement could scupper four As at A level- and its nothing to do with English discrimination, Im afraid.
Oedipus
I get the point but it was that other oversubscribed unis, also higher up in tables (although I get these cant be relied on completely), gave offers, including an invitation to apply for scholarship at Exeter.

So? They did have a point, her subjects weren't very diverse at all. Language + science? Doesn't show much talent across the board. In Scotland university works differently and they are looking for multi-skilled applicants, particularly in the arts. It's not unfair - if she didn't get an offer then someone else was better suited to be made an offer.

I also can't help but be astonished at your two (different!) misspellings of Edinburgh.:eek:
Oedipus

League Tables can't be relied on for anything- Russell Group Unis usually have more applications than the rest and (with the with the exception of Durham and St Andrews) generally more privately schooled applicants, who (usually) have higher grades. Liverpool ranks 40-oddth in a table and QUB is somewhere similar, but I'll bet they'll still be more competitive than some which are around the top 10. Its all down to the course and admissions tutor really. Two good universities might have a small and a large dept in the same subject, and can only accept 50 vs 200 students, the 'higher' in the table Uni might have the larger dept and thus be able to make slightly lower offers. It means nothing really. There'll be weak students who get in, and stronger ones who don't. If you end up with a first from any Russell/1994 group Uni, you'll be doing well, so worry more about that than what some newspaper journalists league table methodology makes of it all.
IMO, I do think they favour Scottish applicants over English ones.
PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
IMO, I do think they favour Scottish applicants over English ones.

No. They. Do. Not.
nearlyheadlessian
No. They. Do. Not.

Well if you twist the "Applications from schools in the local area and the wider locality" from http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/applications-admissions/selection/humanities but I guess that's spesific circumstances, not the university as a whole, and there's a whole buch of other stuff in there too, plus the "For our highly competitive degrees, offers are normally made to applicants who possess academic qualifications far in excess of the minimum and/or for whom one or more of the additional factors may also apply."
Also I imagine most universities have some sort of policy like that anyway....
I got a BBB offer from Edinburgh yesterday, and I'm an English student, which disproves two of the theories on here - there is no 'discrimation' against English students, and as someone has already said, they say BBB is their typical offer because it IS their typical offer.

OP - I'm sorry you were unsuccessful. But it's a very popular and prestigious university, so for over-subscribed subjects they have to turn away perfectly good candidates. It's nothing personal and doesn't mean that you're at all worse than someone who has got an offer, so don't take it that way.
Reply 639
NolaGirl
Hey guys, I'm new to TSR. I'm applying to study abroad at Edinburgh next year and after debating for a while over whether I should do a semester or a full year, I think I've finally decided to go for the year:smile:

Welcome! :smile: What do you plan to study? And where are you from?

Latest

Trending

Trending