The Student Room Group

Official: University of Edinburgh A100 2023 Entry Applicant and Offer Holder thread

Welcome to the University of Edinburgh A100 2023 Entry Discussion.

Edinburgh A100 2022 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7089689

For general information click: https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-me...chool/medicine

For entry requirements click: https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-me...y/requirements

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thinking of applying to Edinburgh, I've been looking at Edinburgh's last year threads and it seemed that some plus applicants didn't get an interview, aren't they guaranteed an interview. I'm scared as I'm WP plus flag woth 2600 band 2 and 14 points academics, I know not the best!!!!
Original post by Hussein2004
Thinking of applying to Edinburgh, I've been looking at Edinburgh's last year threads and it seemed that some plus applicants didn't get an interview, aren't they guaranteed an interview. I'm scared as I'm WP plus flag woth 2600 band 2 and 14 points academics, I know not the best!!!!

This is what Edniburgh says about the plus flag for medicine: "In the majority of cases, a “Plus flag” applicant will be guaranteed an offer at the minimum entry requirement. You need to be predicted to meet those grades if you haven;t already met them.

You’ll also need to have any required subjects that we need: this varies depending on your chosen course, so check our degree finder for the degree programme you are interested in studying.

Unfortunately, we can’t make this absolute guarantee for subjects like art, design, medicine, veterinary medicine, education and nursing. This is because we look at more than just academic grades in the selection process for those subjects (we also look at portfolios, UCAT scores, interviews etc.)

In these cases, if you have a “Plus flag” and have achieved or are predicted to achieve the minimum entry requirement, we guarantee that your application will be given extra credit and will progress to the next stage in the selection process (e.g. Veterinary Medicine progression to interview stage; Medicine - 10% uplift in UCAT, additional consideration in terms of academic score and guaranteed invitation to an assessment day; Art/Design progression to portfolio stage)."

It sounds like for medicine, you still need to achieve minimum entry requirements, so the interview is not always guaranteed.
Reply 3
Original post by becausethenight
This is what Edniburgh says about the plus flag for medicine: "In the majority of cases, a “Plus flag” applicant will be guaranteed an offer at the minimum entry requirement. You need to be predicted to meet those grades if you haven;t already met them.

You’ll also need to have any required subjects that we need: this varies depending on your chosen course, so check our degree finder for the degree programme you are interested in studying.

Unfortunately, we can’t make this absolute guarantee for subjects like art, design, medicine, veterinary medicine, education and nursing. This is because we look at more than just academic grades in the selection process for those subjects (we also look at portfolios, UCAT scores, interviews etc.)

In these cases, if you have a “Plus flag” and have achieved or are predicted to achieve the minimum entry requirement, we guarantee that your application will be given extra credit and will progress to the next stage in the selection process (e.g. Veterinary Medicine progression to interview stage; Medicine - 10% uplift in UCAT, additional consideration in terms of academic score and guaranteed invitation to an assessment day; Art/Design progression to portfolio stage)."

It sounds like for medicine, you still need to achieve minimum entry requirements, so the interview is not always guaranteed.

Yes, all very smoke and mirrors. And because Edinburgh use pre interview scoring for 50% of post in terview score, how much "additional consideration" they give is critical, as that score is going to still be used in deciding if you get an offer
Original post by GANFYD
Yes, all very smoke and mirrors. And because Edinburgh use pre interview scoring for 50% of post in terview score, how much "additional consideration" they give is critical, as that score is going to still be used in deciding if you get an offer

Yes, the big question is what the "minimum academic requirements" you actually have to meet are (including UCAT etc).
It seems like a great scheme if you are NOT a medic, vet, nurse etc, but smoke and mirrors if you are!
Well I have limited choices so I'm gonna apply anyway. I think probably 90% I will get an interview but I need to do really well in it so I can have a chance of an offer. Thanks for your help
Want to apply to Edinburgh and I know they weight SJT quite heavily will band 2 get an interview? Or will they mainly take band 1 ppl?
Reply 7
Original post by jellycat12
Want to apply to Edinburgh and I know they weight SJT quite heavily will band 2 get an interview? Or will they mainly take band 1 ppl?

You have required full academics, a B1 SJT and >3000 UCAT for an interview if RUK. I am not sure of the cut offs for Home applicants, but you can certainly drop a few marks and still get an interview. Check out last year's thread for an idea of what was successful, if you are Scottish
So if you’re RUK and haven’t got band 1 you will not get an interview?
Reply 9
Original post by jellycat12
So if you’re RUK and haven’t got band 1 you will not get an interview?

You would not have done in recent years. You have needed full marks on their scoring system for an interview.
I don't know whether that will be different this year

if you dont mind me asking, what grades did you achive you in Higher ?
AAAAB at highers and AAB at advanced highers
Hi, I'm wondering if it is worthwhile applying to Edinburgh as an RUK student for medicine as I have heard it is notoriously hard for RUK students to get in.
My gcse's were 9 x 9's & 1 x 8
3140 band 1 at ucat
3 A* predicted
Does anyone know what the UKCAT cut off was for a Grad Applicant with 1st Pred RUK last cycle? Seems like it’s shot up last cycle for all med schools :frown:

hi! i was a plus flag applicant last year in a very similar position as you, and now im starting my first year of medicine at Edinburgh next month! i had 2630 band 3 ucat, and AAAAA higher and i ended up with ABC advanced higher grades. i got 4 interviews (glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, and Aberdeen), i only sat 3 because i declined the glasgow one as i already had offers for the other 3 and i didnt think i would meet their advanced higher entry requirements, but i would never recommend another person to decline an interview and honestly dont know why i didn't sit it anyway lol. if you have any questions about being plus flag specifically dont hesitate to ask!
Original post by SWest77
hi! i was a plus flag applicant last year in a very similar position as you, and now im starting my first year of medicine at Edinburgh next month! i had 2630 band 3 ucat, and AAAAA higher and i ended up with ABC advanced higher grades. i got 4 interviews (glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, and Aberdeen), i only sat 3 because i declined the glasgow one as i already had offers for the other 3 and i didnt think i would meet their advanced higher entry requirements, but i would never recommend another person to decline an interview and honestly dont know why i didn't sit it anyway lol. if you have any questions about being plus flag specifically dont hesitate to ask!

Congrats🥳🥳🥳 good luck in your next 6 years. If you don't mind can you tell what was your national 5s? Also what was your advanced highers predictions and were you wp for Aberdeen as well again huge congratulations for getting an offer. I'm taking a gap year and apply again my nat 5s are not good AAABBB but I got AAB in advanced highers so I'm hoping this balance it out. Last question were the interview for Edinburgh hard or was it straight forward or manageable? Thanks a lot.

Last year, some of those with a WP plus flag that didnt get interviews was because it was a second degree for them. I am sure the WP Flag isnt applicable for those looking to study a second degree

Email Edinburgh and confirm - the admissions staff were lovely with me last year
Original post by Hazard0202
Last year, some of those with a WP plus flag that didnt get interviews was because it was a second degree for them. I am sure the WP Flag isnt applicable for those looking to study a second degree

Email Edinburgh and confirm - the admissions staff were lovely with me last year

Oh that is why. I did email them and they confirmed it but when I came here I saw that some applicants who didn't have a band 4 didn't get an interview so I was a bit worried but to now I'm definitely applying to Edinburgh, I'm hoping that I can do well in the interview so I can have a good chance of an offer.
Oh that is why. I did email them and they confirmed it but when I came here I saw that some applicants who didn't have a band 4 didn't get an interview so I was a bit worried but to now I'm definitely applying to Edinburgh, I'm hoping that I can do well in the interview so I can have a good chance of an offer.

Good Luck. When I was looking - I think St Andrews also offered a 10% uplift in certain circumstances.

Glasgow and Aberdeen and ? Dundee also offered WP concessions
Original post by Hazard0202
Good Luck. When I was looking - I think St Andrews also offered a 10% uplift in certain circumstances.

Glasgow and Aberdeen and ? Dundee also offered WP concessions

Yea I'm also definitely applying to st Andrews since I get 10% increase. I'm just unsure about Aberdeen as I have 80 points academics and a ucat of 2600 so I'm not sure yet, just hoping for the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending