The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

anyone planning to go to the applicants day thing on march 18th?

my sympathies to everyone who got rejected, i felt the same about my UCL rejection (but applying there was unrealistic and plain stupid knowing i didn't meet the subject requirements), and congrats to the offer holders!

:smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Got rejected today ):
Reply 722
AliceBoreas

I am! Though it's different open days since I'm going to the Informatics one and you're probably going for the School of Arts :smile:.

I'll actually be staying all week in Edinburgh that week from Monday 16th to either Friday or Sunday. I'll take the opportunity to check the different accommodations and just pretend it's September already ;D.
AliceBoreas

:smile:

I am. I will be at the law and history talks!
A lot of us are English rejects but I've yet to see one English applicant who's been accepted!
Anyone know of anyone?
there's some english, all variations of the course, offer people listed here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=727323

Nelien
I am! Though it's different open days since I'm going to the Informatics one and you're probably going for the School of Arts :smile:.

I'll actually be staying all week in Edinburgh that week from Monday 16th to either Friday or Sunday. I'll take the opportunity to check the different accommodations and just pretend it's September already ;D.

haha, i'll probably be doing the same thing although I'll have to keep it short, only two days because of some other responsibilities i have in that period... taking walks, pretending to look busy going to lecture ( :biggrin: ), and trying to get into as many of the s/c flats as possible to see what they look like :tongue:

moonshine_1991
I am. I will be at the law and history talks!

i'll be at the english & scottish lit talk in the morning and history of art in the afternoon...

as for us coming to the open days, anyone feels like arranging some sort of a get together of people who are on TSR, in the evening? i'll probably be going alone and i know i'll simply explode if there's no one i can comment with :biggrin:

are you guys bringing friends/family members/general tag-alongs who want to be there?
AliceBoreas
there's some english, all variations of the course, offer people listed here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=727323

haha, i'll probably be doing the same thing although I'll have to keep it short, only two days because of some other responsibilities i have in that period... taking walks, pretending to look busy going to lecture ( :biggrin: ), and trying to get into as many of the s/c flats as possible to see what they look like :tongue:

i'll be at the english & scottish lit talk in the morning and history of art in the afternoon...

as for us coming to the open days, anyone feels like arranging some sort of a get together of people who are on TSR, in the evening? i'll probably be going alone and i know i'll simply explode if there's no one i can comment with :biggrin:

are you guys bringing friends/family members/general tag-alongs who want to be there?

I am bringing my mum even though I live in Edinburgh.lol
moonshine_1991
I am bringing my mum even though I live in Edinburgh.lol

haha well thats quite okay, i wanted my mum along, but she refuses to come with me... i got the lecture on "maturity and making my own choices" etc. :rolleyes: i dont want her to make my choices, i just want her to be there to listen to me so i don't have to talk to myself :biggrin:
AliceBoreas
haha well thats quite okay, i wanted my mum along, but she refuses to come with me... i got the lecture on "maturity and making my own choices" etc. :rolleyes: i dont want her to make my choices, i just want her to be there to listen to me so i don't have to talk to myself :biggrin:

lol. Mum WANTS to come. I suppose it will be OK as I will get a lift there and she usually thinks of good questions to ask. Where are coming to Edinburgh from?
moonshine_1991
lol. Mum WANTS to come. I suppose it will be OK as I will get a lift there and she usually thinks of good questions to ask. Where are coming to Edinburgh from?

part of my family is originally from Devon, but my gran moved ages ago to Croatia and married here, so I'll be flying in from quite a long way off :smile:
AliceBoreas
part of my family is originally from Devon, but my gran moved ages ago to Croatia and married here, so I'll be flying in from quite a long way off :smile:

Quite a distance! Is it your first choice then?
moonshine_1991
Quite a distance! Is it your first choice then?

yup. i firmed it already, i really want to study at Ed and they've given me a fair offer of 34 IB pts which is quite reasonable... my family insisted i apply to oxbridge (cambridge, king's) and that didn't go that well, but personally wasn't that keen on it anyways, so i was ecstatic when Ed sent the offer.
How about you, what are your other options?
AliceBoreas
yup. i firmed it already, i really want to study at Ed and they've given me a fair offer of 34 IB pts which is quite reasonable... my family insisted i apply to oxbridge (cambridge, king's) and that didn't go that well, but personally wasn't that keen on it anyways, so i was ecstatic when Ed sent the offer.
How about you, what are your other options?

I am going to firm it for law with history and put history at Aberdeen as my insurance as it is unconditional.
Reply 733
shoop_de_lang
I got rejected for English Lit at edinburgh today too!!! I'm so gutted. :frown: It was my first choice too, had my heart totally set on it... And I'd worked really hard, straight As and taken up extra projects and everything to boost my chances. All for nothing! How annoying. York Uni here I come then... sighhh.

I know how you feel! I spoke to an admissions woman on the phone today as well and she was so dismissive. She basically straight-out said I wasn't good enough! I was like, what more could I have done woman?! So you're going for York now? I have to decide between birmingham and there. Don't know what to do!! I know York's higher in the tables but when I went a week or two ago I just didnt feel it was right for me. Aaagh! I don't know!
Reply 734
AliceBoreas

I will be bringing a couple of friends though they'll be flying back home to Sweden on Wednesday afternoon so I'm alone at most of the actual open day and the rest of the week. Won't be bringing any of my parents as I feel I'm a bit old for that to be honest :P, being 22 and having moved out from home 2 years ago they let me make my own decisions:smile:.

A get-together would be really nice, if we find enough interested people, maybe some of the current students (Oxy? Nearlyheadless? artorscience?) could join and share some Uni survival tips for a pint or so? :smile:

Oh and I'm really sorry for all of you who got rejected, this thread isn't in the best of moods now with all the rejections coming in :frown:. Don't loose hope though, Edinburgh isn't the only University worth going to!
They'll probably say that you at least have to attend the talks alone as there is simply no room in the lecture theatres for everyone to take their mum, dad, brother, granny and pet dog along too. This was the case when I went to the post offer days a few years ago and there were various arguments between parents and admissions staff when they were politely asked to leave so that another applicant could come and sit in the seat instead. At the end of the day you're old enough to go to a meeting on your own if you're old enough to be applying to university, you don't need someone to hold your hand.
I'd certainly go to the subject specific meetings alone, as at mine there were only around 15-20 students and no one had a parent there, and it would have just been odd given the few people who were there. They were just in small tutorial rooms in the department, so there is even less room for the family to come along there.

I won't be in Edinburgh unless anyone is there for the last week in Feb because I'm back then. I'm not there this year cos I'm on exchange.
Reply 736
Woooo! An offer for Arabic yesterday :biggrin:
Makes me happy even though I don't think I want to pick it - at least a good uni wants me!
Reply 737
Yeah I've applied for Edinburgh aswell and its still the only one I havn't heard back from!
Nelien
A get-together would be really nice, if we find enough interested people, maybe some of the current students (Oxy? Nearlyheadless? artorscience?) could join and share some Uni survival tips for a pint or so? :smile:

I'm sure myself and nearlyheadlessian can make ourselves available at some point. Perhaps a separate thread about the open day might make this easier to organise (I know I for one manage to miss some of what goes on in this tread when it gets busy).
Reply 739
AliceBoreas

I'm going on that day :smile: I'll be going to the English Literature and History talks. Anyone else going on that day?

Latest

Trending

Trending