The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Is the University of Birmingham a good university for politics and ir

I’m looking to take a degree in politics and international relations at the Univeristy of Birmingham (2023), but everyone keeps telling me it’s a risk given the job prospects for the degree, an I can’t work out where UoB ranks for the subject . Is Birmingham a good option?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by candle_shyy
I’m looking to take a degree in politics and international relations at the Univeristy of Birmingham (2023), but everyone keeps telling me it’s a risk given the job prospects for the degree, an I can’t work out where UoB ranks for the subject . Is Birmingham a good option?

Hi there,

It's understandable to be concerned about employability with everything that's going on at the moment! Based on the last data set available 90% of students on the Politics and IR course at Birmingham were in employment or further study 15 months after graduating, so hopefully you find that reassuring :smile:

It's of course worth recognising that a key element of a good CV is work experience, it's important to build this up throughout your three years at Uni, don't just wait 'til third year whilst you're trying to write your dissertation to try and cram everything in! :biggrin:

There is honestly so much support available in terms of Careers at UoB, from workshops and interview prep, job fairs, to exclusive internships and entrepreneurship programmes. The careers team typically send out a weekly bulletin filled with all the opportunities during term time, but you do have to be proactive enough to check your emails regularly and apply for plenty of opportunities :smile:

Any questions let me know! - Molly
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by candle_shyy

The only thing that will impact your employability is whether you have done at least one summer internship or a placement year. Most graduate jobs do not require a specific degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending