The Student Room Group

How do I get from a languages degree to an IR masters and a diplomacy career

Hi this is my first post on here, I'll try and make this fairly brief :smile: basically just panicking about my future so any advice/ insight would be much appreciated

so I chose to do a languages degree at uni (French and Russian), have just finished first year. I really want to become a diplomat and it has since become apparent to me that the degree I'm studying is not best suited to this career path (in hindsight probably would've gone for something like history or politics) just wondering how I can increase my chances of getting this career, especially as all work experience I come across seems to only welcome applications from groups I don't belong to.

Moreover, as part of my intended career progression I want to do a masters in International Relations, but courses I'm interested in e.g Oxford say that if you don't study a subject such as IR/history/ law for undergrad you have to prove how your degree is relevant. I'm just wondering if anyone actually applies and gets in with an irrelevant degree or whether there is no point?
Original post by Emily473839
Hi this is my first post on here, I'll try and make this fairly brief :smile: basically just panicking about my future so any advice/ insight would be much appreciated

so I chose to do a languages degree at uni (French and Russian), have just finished first year. I really want to become a diplomat and it has since become apparent to me that the degree I'm studying is not best suited to this career path (in hindsight probably would've gone for something like history or politics) just wondering how I can increase my chances of getting this career, especially as all work experience I come across seems to only welcome applications from groups I don't belong to.

Moreover, as part of my intended career progression I want to do a masters in International Relations, but courses I'm interested in e.g Oxford say that if you don't study a subject such as IR/history/ law for undergrad you have to prove how your degree is relevant. I'm just wondering if anyone actually applies and gets in with an irrelevant degree or whether there is no point?

Some courses have more stringent requirements than others. I know someone who studied an IR master's at Birmingham having studied Drama at undergraduate level.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Some courses have more stringent requirements than others. I know someone who studied an IR master's at Birmingham having studied Drama at undergraduate level.

that's good to know thank you! I mean the oxford course in particular grabbed my attention but that's not to say that I wouldn't consider other courses
that's good to know thank you! I mean the oxford course in particular grabbed my attention but that's not to say that I wouldn't consider other courses

It will be a case of doing extensive research into which courses will accept your undergraduate degree. You'll also find that some will say something like "a first degree in a related subject preferred..." which could mean some flexibility depending on other aspects of your application.

Update: The person I was talking about has just got a job at the Foreign Office. Hopefully that's a good omen for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending