The Student Room Group

What A-Levels should I choose for a CS course in uni

I want to go to a good university like Manchester /Liverpool/St Andrews, these first two being the closest to me and St Andrews is my "main goal". I want to do a course in computer science for university but I can't decide on which A-Levels to choose. My first option is Maths+CS+Spanish, since Spanish is my first language (although I speak fluent English). But I've seen most universities ask for Maths+CS+a science subject, so physics is what I'd be willing to do, but I still would like to be able to choose Spanish instead of another subject as it is an easy A-Level and most universities will only look at the grades you get. I'm just not sure what to do and what the best option would be.
I'm open to suggestions since I want the best for my future.
Also, should I do a MEng or a BSc/BEng once I reach uni? I've read a bit about their differences and it looks like doing a MEng first and then a BSc/BEng is the best option, but I'm still young and I don't know as much as people that have already been through it.
I'm applying for Uni this year(Putting in my UCAS in a month or two!), but to my knowledge very few ask for CS.

Some do ask for a science subject(Manchester being the only one that I've seen), but for almost all I'm pretty sure you could just get away with Maths + 2 other subjects.

OxBridge like Further Maths I believe, so if you plan on going there maybe take that into consideration.

Pretty sure St Andrews have a preferred subjects list so have a look there for some ideas maybe?

Quick Reply

Latest