The Student Room Group

Help choosing A levels

I have applied to sixth forms however they only take 4 a levels. I want to take five as I have already done most of the CS A level content in my free time. The ones I would like to take are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, CS and Econ.
Problem is I do not know whether or not to take CS or Econ outside of the sixth form. The school holds cs competitions and events only exclusive to comp sci a level students and has none for econ which is the main concern on my mind. As I want to study a PPE or Mathematics with either stats or philosophy at uni, would it be worth sacrificing the competitions for the sake of getting better support in terms of essay writing and insight into a more writing based subject in case I choose to do that course and also having to do more work by learning all the econ stuff in my free time as compared to cs which I know very well. I have done some competitions before and really enjoyed them so I am conflicted as it seems like a lot of fun. Also more people at my sixth form take cs a level as compared to econ which gets at most ten.
Any advice would be very much appreciated- please do not try to dissuade me out of doing five btw I have made up my mind on that regard.
Reply 1
Original post by untitled.title
I have applied to sixth forms however they only take 4 a levels. I want to take five as I have already done most of the CS A level content in my free time. The ones I would like to take are Maths, Further Maths, Physics, CS and Econ.
Problem is I do not know whether or not to take CS or Econ outside of the sixth form. The school holds cs competitions and events only exclusive to comp sci a level students and has none for econ which is the main concern on my mind. As I want to study a PPE or Mathematics with either stats or philosophy at uni, would it be worth sacrificing the competitions for the sake of getting better support in terms of essay writing and insight into a more writing based subject in case I choose to do that course and also having to do more work by learning all the econ stuff in my free time as compared to cs which I know very well. I have done some competitions before and really enjoyed them so I am conflicted as it seems like a lot of fun. Also more people at my sixth form take cs a level as compared to econ which gets at most ten.
Any advice would be very much appreciated- please do not try to dissuade me out of doing five btw I have made up my mind on that regard.

It’s a hard choice.
Coz if they do events for CS then I feel like that would help u a lot with ur knowledge on CS, and u won’t have forgotten what you have done in ur free time.
I honestly feel you should take economics in school as it’s an entirely new subject and you’d need more support. If you just keep on doing what ur doing now with CS u could probs get ur first A level with it by the end of year 12, and you would’ve done it all urself. That would be a flex.
Reply 2
Taking FIVE A levels is total waste of time and effort.

Unis only require 3 - and the only case for taking 4 is where you are applying for a STEM degree and need FM.

If you take on too much you risk all your grades - remember AAAB will always look better than ABBB / BBBBB and that this could cost you a Uni place.

Quick Reply

Latest