The Student Room Group

Do I need therapy?

I hate the way I look and spend way too much time thinking about how much I hate the way I look.

I never speak about this with friends and family, except my sister. I vent to her all the time to the point where she is fed up and I feel so bad about it.

I don't seem to have very low self-esteem around people because I'm good at hiding it, but I HATE people getting close to my face and I even subconsciously try to hide my face (according to my sister) when people get close.

Is this normal? I've been like this for years! But the career I want to go into requires daily face-to-face interaction...
Hi there. I think there is a degree of normality in what you describe but I suppose the question is how much it controls your everyday life. You sound very self-aware so may be dealing with it quite effectively already but the fact that you are asking this question suggests that you are unsure if you would be able to manage as well in a new and challenging environment. I don't think it would do any harm to talk this through with a professional. You might have a few sessions and decide that you are managing OK. On the other hand, if this thing runs deep, you would be able to support yourself while you enter into the new profession. I have heard that CBT is particularly helpful with this "condition", should you decide to try therapy. The NHS page goes into more detail and lists the treatments that can be helpful. https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/conditions/body-dysmorphia/#:~:text=Body%20dysmorphic%20disorder%20(BDD)%2C,affects%20both%20men%20and%20women.

Quick Reply

Latest