The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

A111 Newby

Have decided to get back to studying and am wondering if, while I'm waiting round for everything to kick off, is there anything I could be reading, writing or just doing that may give me a little start. Or just, something to fill the time I feel I'm wasting waiting for the start date. Any ideas will be very much appreciated. Have signed up for A111 Discovering Arts and Humanities.
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm not sure if you've already started but since there's no answer here and somebody else might be wanting the answer: if you go on the course details on the website, you can pull down what will (mostly?) be covered. I'm planning on starting Y031 in Feb 2024 to prepare for the Arts & Humanities Bachelors, so I lifted all the set books from the course details on each module and created a reading list to get started on. Y031 doesn’t have set books listed, but it does give topics to be covered which is just as useful.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Hi,

Have you looked at Open Learn? There were three courses on there which I found helpful called 'Being an OU Student' , "Essay and report writing skills' and 'All My Own Work: Exploring Academic Integrity.'

Good luck. I hope you enjoy A111 (I did!).
Original post by Zelda21
Hi,

Have you looked at Open Learn? There were three courses on there which I found helpful called 'Being an OU Student' , "Essay and report writing skills' and 'All My Own Work: Exploring Academic Integrity.'

Good luck. I hope you enjoy A111 (I did!).

I didn't know about the "Essay and report writing skills" course, It'll be something that be definitely be useful to me as it's something I struggle with.
Reply 4
I can't remember if you get access to Student Hub Live before you start your first module with the OU, or after, but they also do useful tutorials regarding essay planning and writing, researching and so on. All of their tutorials are recorded so you can watch them whenever you need to.

They aren't module specific, but I have found them pretty useful for essay planning skills.

Another to look out for are the tutorials run by the library on how to navigate their system, and on referencing.
Reply 5
Thank you for beginning this thread! I have struggled to find others studying A111! This information is really useful!

Quick Reply

Latest