The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Vykeera
Breastfeeding, no matter where you are, is normal. There's no way to do that without "taking your breasts out", be you in private or public.

Also, what do you consider a "private place"? Because I can't think of any that I might encounter out shopping, or down the beach, or at the park, etc., that aren't toilets (or changing rooms! :p:)

I'd consider a "private" place to be anywhere where other people aren't going to be able to see you (unless they try to deliberately). So you might use your car. Or in a lot of shops which sell children's clothes, like mothercare, there are breastfeeding rooms available. A lot of mothers also feed the child breast milk using a bottle. At the beach or park, there probably won't be much available, although in a park, it's not usually that difficult to find an area with nobody around.
Reply 101
anna_spanner89
breastfeeding bringin on an anxiety attack??

no, being in a situation what people are uncomfortable with. id be uncomfortable if someone was breastfeeding next to me and i didnt know where to look. its about the situation
Reply 102
anna_spanner89
women can breastfeed anywhere they want, no legal restrictions..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4139093.ece

According to that article, currently (or until the law is passed) women can face charged under public indecancy laws.

Breast feeding in public has been a legal right in scotland for the last four years but not here.
Reply 103
nolongerhearthemusic
Wtf? Anxiety disorders are the problem of the person with the anxiety disorder, not the hungry infant. We can't all live our lives catering for people with anxiety disorders.

read the post. she said "i cant understand why people would have a problem. its just small minded" and i was giving her the reason why, some people might be uncomfortable with it, they cant help that fact.
AmyK
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article4139093.ece

According to that article, currently (or until the law is passed) women can face charged under public indecancy laws.

Breast feeding in public has been a legal right in scotland for the last four years but not here.

Thats disgusting, an awful approach and simply doesn't surprise me why many lower-class and uninformed women choose not to breastfeed because of this taboo
I'm a liberal kind of a gal, but it's effing disgusting. "It's natural"? So is taking a crap but I don't do it in the middle of Starbucks. :mad:
tom//
read the post. she said "i cant understand why people would have a problem. its just small minded" and i was giving her the reason why, some people might be uncomfortable with it, they cant help that fact.

Ah, right. But their being uncomfortable isn't actually caused by the anxiety disorder, rather the anxiety attack is caused by them being uncomfortable.
chaseside
Men get off on tits, they're sex organs! It is normal, regardless of whether a baby's clutching its mother! That's why i wouldn't breastfeed publicly!.. Or anyone else not a fecking attention seeking slut :rolleyes:

You are a very stupid girl.
nolongerhearthemusic
I don't think the ones doing it in public are the ones sticking to a schedule. They are doing it because they have to. Because their baby needs to eat. I don't think you can just make a newborn feed if it doesn't want to.

It doesn't matter either way. If the baby needs feeding, for whatever reason, it needs feeding.

If the baby needs feeding, it needs feeding, true. But it isn't true that every single woman who breastfeeds in public is doing it because their baby is crying of hunger at the time. There are some who just do it "because it's lunchtime" or something. And in that case, I don't see why "lunchtime" can't be postponed for a couple of minutes.
tom//

and i'd like to know- as someone who suffers with anxiety, WHY breastfeeding would trigger anxiety attacks
Reply 110
tazarooni89
I'd consider a "private" place to be anywhere where other people aren't going to be able to see you (unless they try to deliberately). So you might use your car. Or in a lot of shops which sell children's clothes, like mothercare, there are breastfeeding rooms available. A lot of mothers also feed the child breast milk using a bottle. At the beach or park, there probably won't be much available, although in a park, it's not usually that difficult to find an area with nobody around.

Right... so the mum should walk all the way to her car (if she even has one) with her screaming baby, to sit in isolation, instead of maybe sitting with her friends and feeding her child? As for mothercare... I'm not trying to be funny here, but what if there aren't places with breastfeeding rooms?

At the end of the day, why should a mother feel like she is doing something wrong by feeding her baby? When did that become a vile act that they should be ashamed of? It's almost as if it would be more virtuous to not feed them...

Edit: final para not just directed at you, Tazarooni89
anna_spanner89
if i remember right, if a woman 'feels the need' to breastfeed (some women can get heavy and painful breasts with too much milk) then they're encouraged to breastfeed whether the child wants it or not..i think newborn children don't know they're hungry...and many feed for a good hour at first, Unfortunately a situation like you've put has never existed....babies want food when they want food..end of.

Source? :s-smilie:
Reply 112
anna_spanner89
Thats disgusting, an awful approach and simply doesn't surprise me why many lower-class and uninformed women choose not to breastfeed because of this taboo

Exactly, but at least the law is finally changing :biggrin: Although I wonder when exactly it will pass
tazarooni89
If the baby needs feeding, it needs feeding, true. But it isn't true that every single woman who breastfeeds in public is doing it because their baby is crying of hunger at the time. There are some who just do it "because it's lunchtime" or something. And in that case, I don't see why "lunchtime" can't be postponed for a couple of minutes.

Thats so untrue, you can tell by the cry when a baby is hungry and by their hand movements...
Babies don't have a lunchtime..unless lunchtime happens 8-12 times a day :shifty:
Reply 114
nolongerhearthemusic
Ah, right. But their being uncomfortable isn't actually caused by the anxiety disorder, rather the anxiety attack is caused by them being uncomfortable.

but they cant help being uncomfortable. say you was sat next to a woman on a bus, and she just undone her top and got her breast out to feed the baby, i personally would feel extremely awkward, not knowing where to look. but i cant help that, in the same way the baby wouldnt help being hungry. im not saying that it should be banned in public, just discretness should be used.

and it was the more "i cant understand why. its small minded." comment that annoyed me :wink:
I'm sure that many, many hundreds of years ago society would have coped fine with breastfeeding - did they even have bottle milk? :rolleyes:
lilith_bloom
I'm a liberal kind of a gal, but it's effing disgusting.

I'm sure you had a different opinion about that when you were the one screaming for food as a baby :^_^:
Reply 117
lilith_bloom
I'm a liberal kind of a gal, but it's effing disgusting. "It's natural"? So is taking a crap but I don't do it in the middle of Starbucks. :mad:

What exactly is disgusting about it?
Reply 118
anna_spanner89
and i'd like to know- as someone who suffers with anxiety, WHY breastfeeding would trigger anxiety attacks

its not the act of breastfeeding itself. if youre trapped in a situation you feel awkward in, you cannot help that. it could be because of something thats happened in the past.
SovietRussiaFH
Surely she wasn't more than 5 minutes away from a public toilet though?

What woman would want to breast feed their baby in a public toilet, where people p*** and s*** and where it is rarely even clean?

Latest

Trending

Trending