hellohello5
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am coming towards the end of my degree and i have realised for a while now that it isn't for me. What can i do with this degree in terms of jobs or courses?
Satori Tendō
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's quite a specific course but I nabbed this from UCAS site:
"Understandably, the vast majority of midwife graduates will go on to become practicing midwives in the NHS.
-Interdisciplinary skills also lend themselves to careers as:
-community health worker
-learning disability nurse
-care worker
-psychologist
-family project worker
-nurse "

In terms of courses, you can research conversion courses. These are courses for people like you who have changed their mind about a degree or job and would like to go into a completely different career path. This can include courses on: Psychology, Law, Medicine, Teaching, Nursing, IT, Computer Science, Business, Engineering etc...
They are usually quite short too depending on what subject

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgrad...C125428&page=2
Last edited by Satori Tendō; 1 month ago
paub
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it would have been better for yourself and the number of practicing midwives if you had discovered that 3 years back. you have cost the nhs a lot
hellohello5
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by paub)
it would have been better for yourself and the number of practicing midwives if you had discovered that 3 years back. you have cost the nhs a lot
I've cost the NHS a lot?? I have worked for free for 3 years, full time, during coronavirus, as part of staff with patients of my own, without getting paid, having to pay for travel AND having to pay over 9k each each year for the course. It has cost MYSELF a lot, time and money.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Many jobs in the NHS - they may not initially pay as much as Midwifery - https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/search_vacancy/

And there are also Masters level courses to lead you into other, totally different areas such as Psychology, Social Work, Law etc - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/postgrad...ersion-courses
zoe.nyaku
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by paub)
Lol hardly, you do know student midwives work for FREE doing full time hours, the NHS owes them if anything. Just cos you do the degree doesn't mean you are now indebted to the NHS . Sometimes we realise things late, it happens
Satori Tendō
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hellohello5)
I've cost the NHS a lot?? I have worked for free for 3 years, full time, during coronavirus, as part of staff with patients of my own, without getting paid, having to pay for travel AND having to pay over 9k each each year for the course. It has cost MYSELF a lot, time and money.
Did you use the NHS learning support fund?
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Satori Tendō)
Did you use the NHS learning support fund?
This thread is not asking 'have I let the NHS down/cost them money' - the OP is asking for career/pathway suggestions so please can you respect that and keep your other opinions to yourself.
Satori Tendō
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by McGinger)
This thread is not asking 'have I let the NHS down/cost them money' - the OP is asking for career/pathway suggestions so please can you respect that and keep your other opinions to yourself.
oh no, I was just curious about how that works (since they've paid over 9k, maybe not all midwifery students get it?). I have no opinion on it, just a question.
They don't have to answer
Last edited by Satori Tendō; 1 month ago
paub
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zoe.nyaku)
Lol hardly, you do know student midwives work for FREE doing full time hours, the NHS owes them if anything. Just cos you do the degree doesn't mean you are now indebted to the NHS . Sometimes we realise things late, it happens
it costs over £51,000 to train a midwife/nurse. Workforce Plan for England 2015/16. (2015). Health Education England. so probably a lot more now.
lucyyy12
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
a lot of jobs now just ask for a degree in anything so I guess keep an eye out
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
14.96%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.3%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.51%
I need help with my personal statement (47)
37.01%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (33)
25.98%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.36%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.87%

Watched Threads