The Student Room Group

Medicine Courses With Places

I’ve only got one interview, I have had 3 straight rejections but my interview is for a uni that I do not really want to go to. Are there any courses for medicine that still have places available, maybe so that I can get ready for clearing? Is this a good idea? I am predicted A*AA but my UCAT was 2500
Original post by (olive)
I’ve only got one interview, I have had 3 straight rejections but my interview is for a uni that I do not really want to go to. Are there any courses for medicine that still have places available, maybe so that I can get ready for clearing? Is this a good idea? I am predicted A*AA but my UCAT was 2500

Are you specifically talking about UCAS schools? If yes, then try QMUL Malta or Buckingham. I'd say even if you don't want to attend this uni that you got an interview from, to try your best anyway. Don't wait for clearing! Your UCAT is quite low so the chances of you getting an interview through clearing = slim (schools such as SGUL look for a 2690+ UCAT and the same goes for QMUL Malta). Hull York is usually in clearing but keep in mind they weigh the UCAT quite heavily when it comes to offering interviews. If you reapply during your gap year (should you take one) and with those achieved results and with a slightly higher UCAT score, you might have a much better chance. What did you get for SJT btw?
Reply 2
Original post by Tulipbloom
Are you specifically talking about UCAS schools? If yes, then try QMUL Malta or Buckingham. I'd say even if you don't want to attend this uni that you got an interview from, to try your best anyway. Don't wait for clearing! Your UCAT is quite low so the chances of you getting an interview through clearing = slim (schools such as SGUL look for a 2690+ UCAT and the same goes for QMUL Malta). Hull York is usually in clearing but keep in mind they weigh the UCAT quite heavily when it comes to offering interviews. If you reapply during your gap year (should you take one) and with those achieved results and with a slightly higher UCAT score, you might have a much better chance. What did you get for SJT btw?

Yes I haven’t done the BMAT. So unis that usually heavily weigh UCAT, even in clearing do they still heavily prioritise high UCAT scores? Do you think there any other unis or option? I’m thinking of foundation year medicine course but I’m not sure if they go into clearing and I think it may be too late if they do not go into clearing
For now, I would focus all your effort on your upcoming interview. Good luck with it.

Smash that and at least it will give you another option when it comes to making a choice on next steps.

Medicine is a wierd one because successful students go to uni where the uni will offer them a place, rather than applying to a university that they particularly love. and they all come out with essentially the same degree / professional qualification.

I know there are differences in cost and location which may make some choices harder for people, but an interview is one step closer to an offer. And you only need one !

In general clearing has very very few places for medicine, if any, as most seem to draw from their reserves /wait list. The UCAT score that would apply is your existing score.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending