The Student Room Group

Cambridge Design Tripos

Opinions and speculations on the course? For those that are aiming to apply, what are your a-level subjects? Are you planning to do a portfolio too?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by cocafiola
Opinions on the course? For those that are aiming to apply, what are your a-level courses? Are you planning to do a portfolio too?

Go somewhere with a year in industry - I wouldn't recommend Cambridge.
Reply 2
I don't mind not having a year in industry since I don't plan on actually pursuing it strictly in industry in the future.

I suppose Cambridge isn't as well regarded in architecture as some other schools but their engineering department is very strong. What makes you say this?
Original post by Muttley79
Go somewhere with a year in industry - I wouldn't recommend Cambridge.
(edited 1 year ago)
It's a personal preference at the end of the day, go with what you would like to study - Cambridge would be one choice out of 5. If you apply to courses with a variety of entry requirements then it's usually worth a risk on a really competitive one like Cam.

However, my advice is to always do your own research.
I don't mind not having a year in industry since I don't plan on actually pursuing it strictly in industry in the future.

I suppose Cambridge isn't as well regarded in architecture as some other schools but their engineering department is very strong. What makes you say this?

Engineering is not strong at Cambridge - no year in industry, poor results in Formula Student - it's not what companies want now.

It's very theoretical if you want to get a job at the end.
I don't think really much info has been released yet, so it's hard to say what they will be expecting. The course won't be available until 2024 entry remember :smile:

Formula student is not the be all and end all of engineering activities and for many is totally irrelevant, just ignore it. Also completely ignores that Cambridge mandates 8 weeks of professional experience for all the engineering degrees, unlike other courses...not to mention that the term times at Cambridge potentially give more scope for pursuing professional placements and internships since the winter and spring vacation periods are 6 weeks each.

In any case, as noted above this is a brand new course which is neither architecture nor engineering. Design is a distinct field from both, but intersects with each. Until more information is released it's really speculation, but if you're interested in it I expect it'd be well worth keeping an eye out for any updates or open days they plan in future :smile:

I'd also note that Cambridge is reasonably well considered for architecture - perhaps not as well known as the Bartlett, but the course is much smaller (they only have about 20 something students per cohort, which is also why it's usually one of the if not the most competitive course(s) at undergraduate level at Cambridge).
Reply 7
Does anyone have any information on when more will be released about the course?
Does anyone have any information on when more will be released about the course?

Hi there!

The course page is now live: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/design.
Reply 9
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
Hi there!

The course page is now live: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/design.

Thank you!!!

From the website it appears that we will have to take a written assessment. The sample paper given is that for the architecture course. Would the design students be writing the exact same papers on architecture too?
Reply 10
It's been a while since the course details have been released. What are people's opinions on it?

I find it a bit confusing how the course wishes to incorporate aspects of engineering and material science but has an admissions process that is exactly the same as the architectural course. Perhaps this could disadvantage those without an architectural or arts background as the content would need to be compiled over the next few months. I am a bit hesitant about continuing with the course for this matter.
(edited 1 year ago)
I think this course needs great abilities on drawing. So an interest in engineering or computer science is not enough. Also, there will be 60% percent of time spent in the studio, which is similar to architecture students.
It's been a while since the course details have been released. What are people's opinions on it?

I find it a bit confusing how the course wishes to incorporate aspects of engineering and material science but has an admissions process that is exactly the same as the architectural course. Perhaps this could disadvantage those without an architectural or arts background as the content would need to be compiled over the next few months. I am a bit hesitant about continuing with the course for this matter.

Yes that is what I'm thinking as well. This course looks like a good balance between art and science but an entry process like this makes it seem more art focused and maybe not as much on STEM at all. What A Levels are you taking?
Reply 13
Original post by QueenSensational
Yes that is what I'm thinking as well. This course looks like a good balance between art and science but an entry process like this makes it seem more art focused and maybe not as much on STEM at all. What A Levels are you taking?

So sorry I didn’t see this earlier. I take further maths, physics, and music tech plus epq. I ended up applying for engineering instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending