The Student Room Group

Official Optometry Applicants thread 2024

Who’s applying for optometry this year, how are you feeling about it and what experience do you have?
(edited 9 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
omggg no way, end of years didn’t go so good either, stressed but ready for my summer academic comeback💪 hopefully i can try and work on my chemistry. I have like care home volunteering experience but I’m gonna try and ask to go specsavers or any opticians and shadow. What exactly did u do and how did u ask them?
Reply 2
Original post by fatz0
i had an eye test at my local specsavers last year and so i just asked the optician for work experience there and then

what did you do with them also where u tryna apply too
Reply 3
Original post by fatz0
i shadowed a few opticians during the eye tests and did a bit of pre-screening exams myself but i was mainly just on the shop floor for the most of it talking to the pre-regs that were there. i live in brum so aston would probs be my top choice but honestly just need my predicted to be patterned by next year. wbu

i went to the open day in aston today it was so nice wth, really wanna go aston ugh. ou okay i defo need to get some work exp then cus that sounds nice. yh aston grades are quite high lol chemistry needs to be patttterned cus i dont do 3 sciences i do bio chem psych so the grades i need is AAA ffs
Reply 4
Original post by fatz0
yeahh i went too, i do 2 sciences aswell but bio maths and psych. they've really increased the grades since past years when people were getting in with bbc but they did say if the interview goes really well theyll lower it to AAB.

BBC??? dpmo wtf
i’m jealous acc imagine. AAB is better ig 😒, how did u find the talk n the tours
Reply 5
Original post by sashagrace.x
Who’s applying for optometry this year, how are you feeling about it and what experience do you have?

ahh im applying for both biochem and optometry bc im like really indecisive, I haven't acc done any work exp yet but I am doing it over the summer w my cousin for like a week bc he is an optometrist but yeah idk
Reply 6
Original post by luvdaphne
ahh im applying for both biochem and optometry bc im like really indecisive, I haven't acc done any work exp yet but I am doing it over the summer w my cousin for like a week bc he is an optometrist but yeah idk

Ou what makes you want to do biochem and what makes you want to do optometry, they're quite different
Reply 7
Ou what makes you want to do biochem and what makes you want to do optometry, they're quite different

biochem because I like bio and optometry because I don't want to go into med and have no idea what I want to do with my life so I just went with what looked fun (my eyesight fluctuates a lot between good and bad so I grew up going to the opticians quite a bit and thought it looked like a fun thing to do - am aware that it is probably not as fun as I saw it to be but life isn't always set, I'll figure out what I actually want to do eventually lol!)
Reply 8
Hi, I'm looking to do optom next year as well at aston, however my EOYs went extremely bad. My grades were CDE, and im trying to use the summer to at least boost my grades up by 2, i do bio chem econ, and bio&chem is what i have done bad in, and i know the requirements are quite high, is there any advice you guys could give me - whats the most efficiebt way to revise?
Hi~
I'm looking to apply to Optom this year as well. I am going to the Autumn open days instead. Hoping to look at Bradford, Manchester, and UoHertfordshire 😁
hey, also planning on applying for optom too, my predicted grades are a bit dodgy rn at BBC but been grinding over summer hoping to improve each by one hopefully when we have resits in september so hopefully AAB worst case ABB ( the C is in bio) i do bio chem maths
thinking of like city manchester aston and idk what else
ive done 3 days w/e at pharmacy and a hospital
i also volunteered at a hospital for like 5 months ish
i initially wanted to do med at start of year 12 but sort of changed my mind if u didnt notice lol
I’m thinking of applying to optom. I originally wanted to do dentistry but I’ve been interested in optom, I’ve got no work experience, how did you guys get optom related work experiment. I’m thinking of applying to the foundation year
Original post by spooky123
I’m thinking of applying to optom. I originally wanted to do dentistry but I’ve been interested in optom, I’ve got no work experience, how did you guys get optom related work experiment. I’m thinking of applying to the foundation year

i was interested in med too but swithced to optom. i dont have any optom w/e idk how much of an issue itll be , only pharmacy and hospital
i really wanna find a virtual one or some sort of ted talk or something giving insight into optom for personal statement
why foundation year? subjects or pred grades or?
Original post by aneer3wq3wt
i was interested in med too but swithced to optom. i dont have any optom w/e idk how much of an issue itll be , only pharmacy and hospital
i really wanna find a virtual one or some sort of ted talk or something giving insight into optom for personal statement
why foundation year? subjects or pred grades or?

I need to do a foundation year because i only have bio and they want 2 sciences, i have psych too but not all of them accept it as the science unfortunately:frown:
Original post by spooky123
I need to do a foundation year because i only have bio and they want 2 sciences, i have psych too but not all of them accept it as the science unfortunately:frown:

ah i see rip D:
Original post by fatz0
I don’t think it would be that much of an issue as long as you link what you learnt during your w/e to an optoms role. You could also read an article from an optom related journal and expand a bit on that

yeah thats my plan
trying to find stuff about optom myb a ted talk or article etc
hey, i’m applying to optometry at GCU! is anyone else?

@CamembertPaws FYI to add to applicant threads list
Hi guys I’m starting uni soon. Got into optometry.
Don’t stress too much and just try your best with ur a levels!!
My predicted were AAA (knew I wasn’t getting that 😂)
I ended up getting BBB—maths bio chem
Original post by fatz0
I don’t think it would be that much of an issue as long as you link what you learnt during your w/e to an optoms role. You could also read an article from an optom related journal and expand a bit on that

Check out OptometryToday. They have quite interesting articles every now and then

https://www.aop.org.uk/ot
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest