The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

What is Selly Oak really like for Birmingham students?

I loved the look of UoB. Loved the campus, the course, the vive, the diversity and the hockey and sport. But when looking online about crime around the Selly Oak area, I’m not sure I fancy living in a big city. I love in a small town near larger towns and cities but am not proper street wise! What is it really like? Do you feel safe as a female walking home in the dark as it would be in the winter months? Thanks
Original post by Maddie57
I loved the look of UoB. Loved the campus, the course, the vive, the diversity and the hockey and sport. But when looking online about crime around the Selly Oak area, I’m not sure I fancy living in a big city. I love in a small town near larger towns and cities but am not proper street wise! What is it really like? Do you feel safe as a female walking home in the dark as it would be in the winter months? Thanks

I'm interested to hear this too as I'm also from a rural area. (Also love the hockey and sport there :smile:)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Hi Maddie! :hugs:

Also waiting on an answer for this, since I'm also applying to Birmingham.
I live in the vale currently (got a house in selly for 2nd year) but we do go over to selly oak to see people who's accomodation is there. I am also from a small town so it's definitely more busy than I'm used to. Walking home in the winter as a female is okay, I always make sure that I'm with at least one other person as otherwise I think I would be a bit scared walking back. I've been here for 3 months and no one who I know has actually been a victim of a crime or anything- but you do hear about it happening. You'd also get this in any city... Long story short- it is an amazing uni especially for sport as u say so don't let people telling you how bas the crime is put you off as it would be the same in most other places. You've just got to be careful!
Reply 4
Hi, a second year at UoB, I leave pretty far up Selly Oak (about a 20-30mins walk to campus) and can say I almost always feel safe walking around it at almost any time, as it almost always has other people there. Selly is very populated with uni students but also has a lot of families a bit further up so generally a fairly safe environment. You do hear about the occasional crime but that is usually in any student-heavy populated area or big city. However, overall I would say it is safe. As long as you are being safe and not running into roads or getting into arguments with strangers I would say it is a decent place to live.
Hello!
I live in selly oak, I moved here for my final year and I’ve had the most problems so far in the 4 years I’ve been in Birmingham
I was burgled once, caught somebody looking through my bedroom window (ground floor), my car and my housemates cars have been hit and also multiple of my friends cars have been stolen.
My house is beautiful but I’m not sure it’s worth the constant stress I’ve had since July when I moved in
Original post by Myoung98
Hello!
I live in selly oak, I moved here for my final year and I’ve had the most problems so far in the 4 years I’ve been in Birmingham
I was burgled once, caught somebody looking through my bedroom window (ground floor), my car and my housemates cars have been hit and also multiple of my friends cars have been stolen.
My house is beautiful but I’m not sure it’s worth the constant stress I’ve had since July when I moved in

Thanks for your honest account, it’s what worries me about firming UoB. When I came to the open days they stressed quite a bit that Birmingham isn’t crap anymore and I had a questionnaire come thru after my offer asking whether the area would put me off firming. It’s just fuel to my worries tbh and UoB isn’t for me I don’t think, I want to do a masters so it’s four years and I don’t think I fancy the hassle of always looking over my shoulder and having to never walk anywhere alone after dark.
Did you firm UoB? My DD in same boat
Original post by Raven3444
Did you firm UoB? My DD in same boat

Nope. I preferred Bath and for my sport, I play nationally atm, the options are better for me at Bath and besides I am being offered a masters for less than UoB are offering so Bath it is 😎

Hi hi

Final year UoB girl here, and whisky I love Birmingham as a whole and feel safe here, I hated Selly oak! Was very noisy dirty and smelly compared to london and there were deffo some weirdos just roaming around... in first year I lived in battery park so the pros were it was right by Sainsbury’s, Aldi , Greggs etc and a 10 min walk from campus tho. Cons were it was so grey and I found it a bit depressing ngl... it was good being around all the first years tho but I wouldn’t have been able to live in a house in Selly in my final year. Also loads of people in houses I know got broken in to..

However in my second and third year I moved to a student accom in town (1 train ride away from uni) and live just off of broad street. It’s so much nicer and safer. I wasn’t streetwise either but people here are very nice and every takes care of each other. I really recommend uni here tho cos the city is amazing as a whole !!

Ps not sure if you’re a drinker but as a final year student I really wish I knew about this app that gives u a free drink every night, sooner - https://share.dusk.app/w9jBSZWYGwb (pls use my sign up code MEGAN-6F1D so we can both get 500 points LOL ty!!)
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending