The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2023 (Reinstated) applicants thread.

A thread for potential applicants of the Civil Service Fast Stream, if it does ultimately go ahead.

The announcement about 4 months ago that recruitment would be suspended as part of the head count reduction has seemingly been overturned today.

https://www.civilserviceworld.com/pr...oms-sunak-hunt

"In a letter to all civil servants, which also confirmed that the Fast Stream will be reinstated "without missing a year”, the prime minister said he does not believe "top-down targets for civil service headcount reductions are the right way" to ensure “every taxpayer pound goes as far as it possibly can”."

Will be interesting to see if/how they modify the application process due to the several week delay, or if they will just shift all the timescales down.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, I received the email.

"I am also determined that this government will invest in your talent and help to develop future leaders. The Civil Service Fast Stream is one important part of this and so I am acting immediately to ensure this continues without missing a year."
Reply 2
Applications will be open for 2 weeks from 8/12/22.
I signed up for the e-mail alert ages ago but never received the email. Thank you for letting us know Kneale it is much appreciated. I guess now is the time to brush up on psychometric tests.
I’ve just checked and there’s no video interview stage this year. I suppose it’s because of the timescales.
Original post by c0dinggraduate
I’ve just checked and there’s no video interview stage this year. I suppose it’s because of the timescales.

Well spotted, I hadn’t noticed when I was looking through them but it does go straight from online tests to assessment centre this year
Anyone else planning on applying Thursday when it opens? I have decided my preferences in order will be HR, project delivery, generalist and cyber.
I have done online tests before and normally do fairly well but maths is my downfall so I’m a little concerned about that section
Does anyone know whether the preference order matters? i.e. a situation in which I do moderately well in tests and pass the benchmark for a given scheme but am at a disadvantage to similar candidates because I put that scheme as fourth preference
Original post by Phoebephoebe
Does anyone know whether the preference order matters? i.e. a situation in which I do moderately well in tests and pass the benchmark for a given scheme but am at a disadvantage to similar candidates because I put that scheme as fourth preference

You need to put your choices in order of preference with your 1st choice 2nd choice etc. If you don't pass the benchmark for your 1st choice but passed it for the 2nd you'd be still in the running for your second but you won't get to know which schemes you are still in the running for until assessment centre stage. You won't be put in a disadvantaged position. I always pick 4 choices because it gives me a better chance than if I only chose one option if that makes sense.
Original post by Gemma_gradscheme
Anyone else planning on applying Thursday when it opens? I have decided my preferences in order will be HR, project delivery, generalist and cyber.
I have done online tests before and normally do fairly well but maths is my downfall so I’m a little concerned about that section

I am and I’m applying for the same schemes too but a different preference order 😅 yeah I’m nervous for the maths one, I either do really well or absolutely awful on the tests
Anyone know whether they used banked numerical/ verbal tests? I have them banked on the main civil service jobs page and am wondering whether I'll have to redo them or can just use the banked scores for everything except sjt
I’m applied tomorrow and kinda nervous for the online tests. I never seem to do well in them. I also don’t like that there aren’t any specific locations
Original post by Phoebephoebe
Anyone know whether they used banked numerical/ verbal tests? I have them banked on the main civil service jobs page and am wondering whether I'll have to redo them or can just use the banked scores for everything except sjt

same, I got good scores from my application to the TSP a few months ago. I don't know whether to apply to the fast stream with the email used for the TSP in the hopes the scores are saved or just make a fresh application for the fast stream.
I'm pretty sure the Fast Stream recruitment system doesn't have any overlap with Civil Service jobs and you'll have to take the tests again
Original post by c0dinggraduate

is this information on their website? where did you check?
Screenshot_20221208-112124-compressed.png.jpeg

ah okay, so are the work based scenarios not the video interviews? I was confused because for the GMTS the work based scenarios had video answers incorporated into it
My application is underway, I’ve filled all my personal details in and am now waiting for the tests to unlock.
I did the practice numerical test they linked and it was very straightforward which has eased my nerves.
Good luck to everyone applying
Anyone unlocked tests yet?
Reply 18
Not long submitted my application form and still waiting for tests to unlock.....weird cus last year they unlocked almost instantly haha
Mine have unlocked now, took just over an hour

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending