The Student Room Group

Career Advice: Becoming a Diplomat

Hi,

I wanted to find out how I could pursue a career which would lead up to a Diplomat position. I am mindful that it takes a lot of work to get there.

Could anyone advise on this?

I also hoped to understand what my chances may be at pursuing this career. To provide some context, please see the below which outlines my background.

As I write this, I am 24-years old. I have graduated in 2021 with a first-class degree from a top 30 Russell Group university, Law with a Year Abroad LLB (Hons). During my time at university, I worked abroad in Singapore (1 month internship), studied in Hong Kong (8 months), as well as Paris for 2 months (competitive summer school placement). I also speak Polish (native proficiency). During my time at university, I also undertook extracurricular activities, some of which include competing in negotiation competitions and gaining a qualification in mediation.

I have a varied background in terms of work experience. I have undertaken work which includes construction, scaffolding, and work for a moving company. I have also worked in customer service roles, and corporate roles domestically and internationally.

I am aware that one route involves working for the civil service and gradually moving towards this goal internally. I also looked at the Diplomatic and Development Fast Stream programme. Does anyone know when the applications for this open?

As I mentioned, I understand this is a difficult career to pursue, and my background is not the strongest, particularly when compared to individuals who attended top universities with strong academics, extracurriculars, and work experience. However, I would like to try. It would also be helpful to understand what I can do to potentially have a fighting chance when competing with these individuals.
Reply 1
Fast Stream should open in September.
Alternatively get a job in FCDO or a multilateral organisation such as the World Bankor UN and work your way up/across.
Reply 2
(Original post by Quady)Fast Stream should open in September.
Alternatively get a job in FCDO or a multilateral organisation such as the World Bank or UN and work your way up/across.

Thank you for the insight, I appreciate it!

Have you applied to any of these before? If you are working in a related field, it would be great to understand how you got there.
Reply 3
Original post by KC1976
(Original post by Quady)Fast Stream should open in September.
Alternatively get a job in FCDO or a multilateral organisation such as the World Bank or UN and work your way up/across.

Thank you for the insight, I appreciate it!

Have you applied to any of these before? If you are working in a related field, it would be great to understand how you got there.

Well I applied to the diplomatic scheme but didn't even pass the assessment centre. I got on the DDaT Fast Stream (well that's what it is now). Got a promotion into DFID and went on loan to FCO for a year. So no, I've stayed in IT rather than in diplomacy, but I know a couple of heads of missions.
Reply 4
Original post by Quady
Well I applied to the diplomatic scheme but didn't even pass the assessment centre. I got on the DDaT Fast Stream (well that's what it is now). Got a promotion into DFID and went on loan to FCO for a year. So no, I've stayed in IT rather than in diplomacy, but I know a couple of heads of missions.

That's really interesting, you've done a lot! Considering my background, what do you think my chances would be for the Diplomatic and Development Fast Stream programme?

Alternatively, with my background and experience in mind, what do you think would be the best route for me to position myself best for a career as a diplomat? Relating to this, I have heard that a Masters Degree in International Relations is beneficial. What do you think?

In advance, thank you kindly for your insight on this.
Reply 5
Original post by KC1976
That's really interesting, you've done a lot! Considering my background, what do you think my chances would be for the Diplomatic and Development Fast Stream programme?

Alternatively, with my background and experience in mind, what do you think would be the best route for me to position myself best for a career as a diplomat? Relating to this, I have heard that a Masters Degree in International Relations is beneficial. What do you think?

In advance, thank you kindly for your insight on this.

Well to state the kinda obvious, I dont know you, so I have no idea.
Obviously about 99% of applicants to the diplomatic fast stream are rejected - like 19 in 20 applicants who went to Oxbridge are rejected, so the odds aren't in your favour.
Obvious question, why didn't you apply in 2020, 21 or when the scheme was reinstated after being initially suspended last year...?
Are you thinking of a career in diplomacy as you've not been offered a training contract...?
The route best for you kinda depends on your motivation and what you want out of a career. Getting into FCDO at a junior grade and grafting your way up is likely the most dependable way of making it imho. But there is still a great amount of luck required with that route too.
Personally I don't much see how a post grad masters would help much, or rather how it'd add more value than an addition year of work.
Reply 6
Original post by Quady
Well to state the kinda obvious, I dont know you, so I have no idea.
Obviously about 99% of applicants to the diplomatic fast stream are rejected - like 19 in 20 applicants who went to Oxbridge are rejected, so the odds aren't in your favour.
Obvious question, why didn't you apply in 2020, 21 or when the scheme was reinstated after being initially suspended last year...?
Are you thinking of a career in diplomacy as you've not been offered a training contract...?
The route best for you kinda depends on your motivation and what you want out of a career. Getting into FCDO at a junior grade and grafting your way up is likely the most dependable way of making it imho. But there is still a great amount of luck required with that route too.
Personally I don't much see how a post grad masters would help much, or rather how it'd add more value than an addition year of work.

Thank you kindly for taking the time to respond.

I didn't apply in those years because I had other career aspirations. So, it just didn't come to mind. As for training contracts, I am split as to whether I would like to be a lawyer, so I am considering other routes which are of interest.

What would you recommend I do at this point in time?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending