The Student Room Group

Westminster 2023 Entry post-examination discussion

hey guys, thought this could be helpful and we can update when interview invites get sent out ! how did everyone's exams go ?

Scroll to see replies

mine went kinda bad but idk what everyone else took and how they found the exams in comparison. (I took English, maths, chinese and history btw)
Original post by nene0712
hey guys, thought this could be helpful and we can update when interview invites get sent out ! how did everyone's exams go ?
Reply 2
i took philosophy english maths and physics. I think philosophy and english went pretty well, however i’m not too sure about physics. maths was pretty average. :smile:
Original post by katyb06
i took philosophy english maths and physics. I think philosophy and english went pretty well, however i’m not too sure about physics. maths was pretty average. :smile:

hey, i did philosophy maths further maths and physics. did you end up finishing philosophy and maths? i didn’t finish philosophy and did 25/30 Qs for maths
Reply 4
Original post by aIphabet
hey, i did philosophy maths further maths and physics. did you end up finishing philosophy and maths? i didn’t finish philosophy and did 25/30 Qs for maths

I did the first three questions and the essay question for philosophy, i knew i was going to run out of time so skipped q4 but then did half of it after i’d finished my essay.

i nearly finished maths but i left about three , two of them were intentional as i didn’t know the answers but didn’t want to lose any marks.

hope this helped :smile:
Reply 5
mine were alright - i did maths, economics, french and english. for anyone that did economics, what sort of points did you make for the 25 marker? i didn't really see how gun laws related to economics so i just sort of wrote an essay in english style but idk
Original post by loik24
mine were alright - i did maths, economics, french and english. for anyone that did economics, what sort of points did you make for the 25 marker? i didn't really see how gun laws related to economics so i just sort of wrote an essay in english style but idk

How did you find French? I think the reading and gap filling were unexpectedly easy
Reply 7
Original post by bjecdfh auh
How did you find French? I think the reading and gap filling were unexpectedly easy

oh yeah french was super easy. obviously idk how much i got on the composition but since you had so much freedom to write whatever you want it would've been hard not to do well so i think i did good on that. and yeah the reading and gap filling were not what i was expecting, it was easier then most french gcse papers so that was nice of them to do that - the only two questions i know i didnt get right was in the gap filling when the director was talking about he knew the scenes off by heart, i wasn't too sure whether it was "de coeur" or "par coeur" and i ended up writing par coeur only until after the exam i asked someone what they put and they said its de coeur lol. and also in the reading comprehension bit, i wasn't too sure what "jouer les professeurs" really meant so i just literally translated it as play the teachers but i think its pretend the teachers. other than that french was super nice, definitely the best exam i had out of all of them, also the only one i had like 5-10 mins spare
Original post by loik24
oh yeah french was super easy. obviously idk how much i got on the composition but since you had so much freedom to write whatever you want it would've been hard not to do well so i think i did good on that. and yeah the reading and gap filling were not what i was expecting, it was easier then most french gcse papers so that was nice of them to do that - the only two questions i know i didnt get right was in the gap filling when the director was talking about he knew the scenes off by heart, i wasn't too sure whether it was "de coeur" or "par coeur" and i ended up writing par coeur only until after the exam i asked someone what they put and they said its de coeur lol. and also in the reading comprehension bit, i wasn't too sure what "jouer les professeurs" really meant so i just literally translated it as play the teachers but i think its pretend the teachers. other than that french was super nice, definitely the best exam i had out of all of them, also the only one i had like 5-10 mins spare

I have to agree with you, it’s also the only one where I got spare time, for 10 mins. I was expecting at least smth like imparfait in the gap filling but it was all present tense, I also put in par cœur loll
Also I think it j means pretend to be teachers, jouer/play in a theatre sense
I wasn’t sure abt the first q tho, bc I put in smth similar to what I put to later qs
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by katyb06

English was a bit weird for me cause I didn't want to make a wrong assumption about when it was abt so I just talked a lot about pathetic fallacy and stuff
Reply 10
i took latin as well ! for that specific question i didn't add the -ne to the saepe but did get the ablative of agent.... that makes a lot of sense! i thought the translation was basic gcse language stuff, not as hard as I thought it would be. how did you find the literature ? it wasn't at all like the gcse lit commentary so i can't guess how well i did :/
Original post by nene0712
i took latin as well ! for that specific question i didn't add the -ne to the saepe but did get the ablative of agent.... that makes a lot of sense! i thought the translation was basic gcse language stuff, not as hard as I thought it would be. how did you find the literature ? it wasn't at all like the gcse lit commentary so i can't guess how well i did :/

Yeah, they talked about “stuff which is not included in gcse or glossed” in the passage, but there wasn’t anything non GCSE apart from “possimus”, so I was pleasantly surprised by it. Same with the lit, it wasn’t difficult to make points and pick things out, but I have no idea how well I did with that either
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by panda407
English was a bit weird for me cause I didn't want to make a wrong assumption about when it was abt so I just talked a lot about pathetic fallacy and stuff

yeah same with me - i ended up just rambling on about nature
Reply 13
I have to agree with you, it’s also the only one where I got spare time, for 10 mins. I was expecting at least smth like imparfait in the gap filling but it was all present tense, I also put in par cœur loll
Also I think it j means pretend to be teachers, jouer/play in a theatre sense
I wasn’t sure abt the first q tho, bc I put in smth similar to what I put to later qs

which part of the first question are you talking about? but yh they were very nice with the questions, hoping that french kinda carries me and gets me through to the interviews. also for the composition, which question did you choose? i chose the one about learning outside of school being better than inside
Reply 14
Original post by panda407

the main thing that i talked about was how henry and cromwell seemed to be of a lower ranking than the king, and they were the ones experiencing the most suffering, while the king seemed very content and was even making jokes so shows how your status determines your comfortablity in life

and same i didnt want to really assume so tentative language was my best friend - they talked about horses so probably some sort of medieval times - very Christian society back then so the king would've gotten special benefits
Original post by loik24
which part of the first question are you talking about? but yh they were very nice with the questions, hoping that french kinda carries me and gets me through to the interviews. also for the composition, which question did you choose? i chose the one about learning outside of school being better than inside

I’m talking abt the part why ppl still use the cahiers and what benefits r there, I put down similar answers. I chose the first q abt pollution and beach, bc I was interested in environment protection and things , etc but i kinda forgot the format of a letter, I forgot how to end a letter in French, hope it’s not gonna cost me too much. I wrote abt 200 words, I felt It shld be sufficient , hbu? Hope we can meet at interviews :smile:
Reply 16
I’m talking abt the part why ppl still use the cahiers and what benefits r there, I put down similar answers. I chose the first q abt pollution and beach, bc I was interested in environment protection and things , etc but i kinda forgot the format of a letter, I forgot how to end a letter in French, hope it’s not gonna cost me too much. I wrote abt 200 words, I felt It shld be sufficient , hbu? Hope we can meet at interviews :smile:

oh yeah same i got kinda confused because the questions seemed similar, but then i realised that each question pertained to each paragraph so that kinda made it easier to know what to write down for each part - like the benefits for the students was that it helps to make sure theyve understood everything theyve learnt throughout the year etc.

i wrote about 150 for mine, i just felt that second question was most in line with gcse style questions so just chose that one tbh. i didn't even clock that the first one was a letter so good thing i didnt pick it bc writing french addresses is long. but yeah hopefully i'll see you there! they said max 2 weeks so i'll have done my mocks and then gotten an email back from them then so could either be the worst or the best week of my life haha
Original post by loik24
oh yeah same i got kinda confused because the questions seemed similar, but then i realised that each question pertained to each paragraph so that kinda made it easier to know what to write down for each part - like the benefits for the students was that it helps to make sure theyve understood everything theyve learnt throughout the year etc.

i wrote about 150 for mine, i just felt that second question was most in line with gcse style questions so just chose that one tbh. i didn't even clock that the first one was a letter so good thing i didnt pick it bc writing french addresses is long. but yeah hopefully i'll see you there! they said max 2 weeks so i'll have done my mocks and then gotten an email back from them then so could either be the worst or the best week of my life haha

I have my art mocks and Clc tests next week. But apart from that I’ve nothing to do. Our mocks start the 21st of Nov, before that I’ll prolly j be burning to get an interview invitation from Westminster, 2 weeks r enough of a torture
Guys I also wonder if anyone did stem subjects, bio/chem/phy, and how did they do? Are there any particular qs they aren’t sure abt? which qs did everyone choose to do for chem? The arsenic question was rly hard for me
(Original post by bjecdfh auh)Guys I also wonder if anyone did stem subjects, bio/chem/phy, and how did they do? Are there any particular qs they aren’t sure abt? which qs did everyone choose to do for chem? The arsenic question was rly hard for me

I found them acc quite hard. Bio was a bit better than the other but I found physics and chemistry very hard. What about u?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending