The Student Room Group

RCSI Medicine Interview

Hi! I have recently been invited to interview for a place at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. I'm very grateful for the opportunity, but I wanted to ask any experienced student how this interview would go.
I'm familiar with most interview questions (motivations, hobbies, etc.) but does RCSI also ask about your shadowing experience? And more importantly, would I have to prepare for any roleplay questions?

I would just like to prepare so I can present myself well during the interview, any help would be really appreciated! :smile:
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by user23184
Hi! I have recently been invited to interview for a place at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. I'm very grateful for the opportunity, but I wanted to ask any experienced student how this interview would go.
I'm familiar with most interview questions (motivations, hobbies, etc.) but does RCSI also ask about your shadowing experience? And more importantly, would I have to prepare for any roleplay questions?

I would just like to prepare so I can present myself well during the interview, any help would be really appreciated! :smile:

Hi did you hear back yet?
Reply 3
Original post by AlyAly
Hi did you hear back yet?

Hey yes I did, I got accepted for the non-eu medicine program (5 yrs)
I did the interview on the 31st of March and only received a decision by the 21st of April.

Are you waiting for a response as well?
Reply 4
Hey yes I did, I got accepted for the non-eu medicine program (5 yrs)
I did the interview on the 31st of March and only received a decision by the 21st of April.

Are you waiting for a response as well?

Yeah I did mine on 7th april so idk when to expect it by it’s been over 3 weeks
Reply 5
Original post by AlyAly
Yeah I did mine on 7th april so idk when to expect it by it’s been over 3 weeks

I'm sure you'll get it soon, I heard it can take up to 4 weeks so maybe by the 5th? Although I can't be sure.
Regardless, good luck! I hope it's good news :smile:
Reply 6
I'm sure you'll get it soon, I heard it can take up to 4 weeks so maybe by the 5th? Although I can't be sure.
Regardless, good luck! I hope it's good news :smile:

Thanks a lot anyways, telling me when you got it helped me get a timeframe.
Hi, I’m looking to apply for the 2024 cycle, could you tell me about any extracurricular d and work experience you did and what they were looking for. Also are you from the Uk? And if so what was the offer!
Reply 8
Original post by student2023!
Hi, I’m looking to apply for the 2024 cycle, could you tell me about any extracurricular d and work experience you did and what they were looking for. Also are you from the Uk? And if so what was the offer!

Hi, I sent you a message with the info, hope it helps and good luck!
Reply 9
Hi, I sent you a message with the info, hope it helps and good luck!

Hi. Would you mind sending me a message with the details as well please. Thank you
Reply 10
Hi! I applied as a non-Eu student and received a 5-year offer, which essentially means I don't have to take a foundation year.

In terms of extracurriculars, I was participating in tennis, swimming, and kickboxing at a national scale (varying awards/experience for each), I've also completed my trinity music examinations for the guitar, and play the bass. I was also featured in a few art festivals and volunteered/tutored younger students regularly. I started and led both a public speaking club and a STEM club. I was both an environmental and student well-being prefect and started a green initiative in my school. Did the DofE award (only did bronze because of COVID) and am qualified in first aid (you can take courses for that).
Won a few other awards such as Kenken and Olympiad, but I don't think those mattered much. I had a couple of other things I mentioned in my personal statement but I can't really remember. But do keep in mind that you can do 10x all of this but without the right grades, you might not even be considered, so maintain a balance.
I shadowed and volunteered at a couple of different hospitals in 2 different countries, and got a lot of experience from that.

In their interview, they look at how passionate you are about what you do. Sure, you could be a genius, and of course, you want to help people, but why medicine? Also, just ask you things like what can you bring to the university, and look at your level of confidence. Overall, if you can present yourself well and stay calm in a stressful situation like an interview, you're golden :smile:

-> I just posted it here for whoever is interested
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 11
Hi, I'm intrested in applying for medicine at RCSI. Can I ask what your grades were if you don't mind bcs im a bit confused about the entry requirements since on thier website they say they can accept Grade C for A level but other info such as the equivalency calculator (for AS/A level) states otherwise as u need to achieve a score of at least 739 which requires high grades. Idk if i make any sense but any help would be much appreciated.

P.S i havent got my A level results yet but i'm expecting at least ABB :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by Katara.
Hi, I'm intrested in applying for medicine at RCSI. Can I ask what your grades were if you don't mind bcs im a bit confused about the entry requirements since on thier website they say they can accept Grade C for A level but other info such as the equivalency calculator (for AS/A level) states otherwise as u need to achieve a score of at least 739 which requires high grades. Idk if i make any sense but any help would be much appreciated.

P.S i havent got my A level results yet but i'm expecting at least ABB :frown:

Hi! I wish I could help but unfortunately I applied with IB grades so the process was different for me. But from what I've read, as long as you achieve ABB or AAC in your finals, you have nothing to worry about :smile:
Reply 13
Hi! I wish I could help but unfortunately I applied with IB grades so the process was different for me. But from what I've read, as long as you achieve ABB or AAC in your finals, you have nothing to worry about :smile:

Ohhh I see, Thank you for the info tho! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending