The Student Room Group

not getting to do much on placement

I'm on the Physician associate course which is quite fast paced. The problem is at my GP placement I have been there 4 times and they have not let me do anything, I just sit there and watch.

I think its because I struggle to do the blood test as in I don't really know how much to put the needle in and the other girl I'm with, from my course was a HCA, so is more confident has taken bloods and given vaccines.

I have spoken to people on my course and they said their GP's have encouraged them to do it slowly and now they are confident. At my Gp you have to put yourself forward to do it, and if you do that, they expect you to be good and fast at it. The nurse even said I don't look the most confident.

Also, I told them i used to be a vaccinator so indirectly saying i wanted to do the flu vaccines that they offered each patient at the end, but they didn't even let me do that or bp, because they probably thought I was slowing them down.

The nurses always say that i watch this week and can do it next week, but then the next week i just get put with another nurse or HCA and the cycle starts over again

Any advice?

BTW, i have been practicing taking blood a lot with the clinical skills team and they said the best way i can learn is just to do it on patients
Just directly ask the nurses at the start of placement and say: I feel like I'm not very good at taking bloods, could I please get some more practice? I understand there might be issues (e.g.) but I'm happy to resolve them with you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending