The Student Room Group

placement hours

i currently have 1452 hours completed on placement and we are required by the nmc to complete 2300. I am 800 hours or so down and am currently in a 7 week placement and have a 5 week placement in august. doing this i will still be low on hours. does this mean i have to resit the year or i can just continue making up the hours in august until its done
Reply 1
how low will you be after these 2 placements? my uni lets us have an extra 2 week long placement in august to make up hours to pass the year, but that’s only if there isn’t a massive deficit
Reply 2
Original post by rebecca6778
i currently have 1452 hours completed on placement and we are required by the nmc to complete 2300. I am 800 hours or so down and am currently in a 7 week placement and have a 5 week placement in august. doing this i will still be low on hours. does this mean i have to resit the year or i can just continue making up the hours in august until its done

When do you qualify as a nurse.....???

So if you are doing a 37.5 hours week ( that's what you should do on placement or university) to complete the 2300 hours for placement and 2300 Hours of university studying ( total of 4600 hours over the 3 years of the course).

Based on 37.5 hours per week and you have about 12 weeks of placement to do between now and August this will give you approximate another 450 hours added to your already 1452 hours = total 1902 hours - this will leave you short of about 398 hour's ( estimate hours okay based on 37.5 per week) as you may be doing more.....

Obviously you'll have to have your hours completed to satisfy NMC regulations.......if you are happen to be qualifying this coming summer.
What you need to do is go and speak to your university course leader and placement officer and discuss this matter with them asap so that they can hopefully get something sorted out for you quickly to get your hours completed.
They will have to arrange somewhere for you to attend for your hours on placement and perhaps work few extra days during your time back at university studying weeks and when you are on any university official holidays.or perhaps do extra weeks on placement instead of attending university studying weeks as you can do this work online while making up time on placements, discuss this with university okay...... This needs sorted out asap.

If possible you want to avoid resitting another year to make up your missing hours on placement.... Talk to your university course leader and placement officer about things.

A NHS registered midwife and mentor/supervisor to students.

@Emily_B don't know if you can perhaps add anything else to things. They seem to have a lot of missing hours for placement which needs catching up with.....
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3

Whatever the reason for you being so down on hours, that's a lot to catch up!
Is the 1452 hours inclusive of hours done on this placement or not?
Assuming it isn't:
1452 hours completed
7 weeks' placement = 37.5x7 = 262.5
5 weeks' placement = 37.5x5 = 187.5
1452+262.5+187.5 = 1902
So that leaves you 398 hours - or nearly 11 weeks - left to do after your retrieval placement..

If the 1452 hours includes hours completed on this current 7 weeks' placement, you'll have more hours to make up than 11 weeks' worth. The likelihood is then that you'll have to drop back 6 months to a year to complete the extra hours you need. You'll need to talk to your course leaders about the best course of action.

Hello @rebecca6778

I hope you're well. It is very common for students to be behind on their clinical hours prior to qualifying! I don't think you will have to resit the year as long as you have passed all of the modules. I think you will just have to complete the remaining clinical hours from August until you have reached the NMC requirement of 2300 hours. Always double check with your university though! :smile:

Best of luck
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Hi did you find out how it works. Do you just have to stay on placement untill you're done ?
Reply 6
Original post by Ashziah
Hi did you find out how it works. Do you just have to stay on placement untill you're done ?

Hi , yes I did. just keep going until all hours are made up
Reply 7
Hi , yes I did. just keep going until all hours are made up

Glad you got them all up-to-date now.
This is a really interesting post - with really knowledgeable replies. Is there much variation between universities as to placement timing? I understand there are a set number of hours to complete - but do they have to be completed within those placement blocks only? Or is there often a degree of flexibility? I don’t want to seem like one to reinvent the wheel I am just curious, as it seems quite common for students to be hours short. Is it much dependent on your placement supervisor and or the university placement organiser people (?!)? Thank you for any guidance - appreciate it!
Reply 9
Original post by Seeseeseeagain
This is a really interesting post - with really knowledgeable replies. Is there much variation between universities as to placement timing? I understand there are a set number of hours to complete - but do they have to be completed within those placement blocks only? Or is there often a degree of flexibility? I don’t want to seem like one to reinvent the wheel I am just curious, as it seems quite common for students to be hours short. Is it much dependent on your placement supervisor and or the university placement organiser people (?!)? Thank you for any guidance - appreciate it!

Yes you have to complete the allocated amount of hours you are the do within that particular placement block unless you are unfamiliar of ill which you will get opportunity to make it up at a later date with discussing it with your university course leaders and placement officer who'll arrange something with you.
Original post by Tracey_W

Yes you have to complete the allocated amount of hours you are the do within that particular placement block unless you are unfamiliar of ill which you will get opportunity to make it up at a later date with discussing it with your university course leaders and placement officer who'll arrange something with you.

Thank you Tracey - helpful to know. I see you are well placed to answer, can I bother you with another then sorry?! (Do appreciate your time here). When it comes to arranging the shifts you’ll work as a student, would you on your placement block work the shifts as set by your supervisor (eg you), covering a range of shifts eg days, nights, longs or shorts? And always with that supervisor? I won’t bore you but I am just reading and trying to understand as much as possible if it is possible to do the course, with having two young children.
Reply 11
Thank you Tracey - helpful to know. I see you are well placed to answer, can I bother you with another then sorry?! (Do appreciate your time here). When it comes to arranging the shifts you’ll work as a student, would you on your placement block work the shifts as set by your supervisor (eg you), covering a range of shifts eg days, nights, longs or shorts? And always with that supervisor? I won’t bore you but I am just reading and trying to understand as much as possible if it is possible to do the course, with having two young children.

You’ll work shifts with an allocated supervisor or your assessor. When you know where your placement is you can contact them and ask for your off duty (nursing slang for shift pattern). There may be some flexibility with your allocation for things like childcare etc, however this will depend on how many students they are juggling, the culture within that placement and access to supervisors for the shift.
Original post by moonkatt

You’ll work shifts with an allocated supervisor or your assessor. When you know where your placement is you can contact them and ask for your off duty (nursing slang for shift pattern). There may be some flexibility with your allocation for things like childcare etc, however this will depend on how many students they are juggling, the culture within that placement and access to supervisors for the shift.

Thank you moonkatt - luck of the draw?!
Reply 13

Yes luck of the draw like you said.

As per @moonkatt said discuss it more with your allocated supervisor/ mentor and you might be able to rearrange a few days but you'll probably not get to change everyone you do.
Reply 14

It’s whatever your university policy is. Here we include break time in student hours, so if your shift is 0700 to 1930 that’s 12.5 hours on your timesheet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending