The Student Room Group

Child Nursing 2024 Liverpool John Moores vs Edge Hill Uni

I've been offered places at both Edge Hill and John Moores for child nursing (starting Sept 2024) and I have NO idea which one to pick! Both have their own pros!
Has anyone had experience of undergraduate nursing at either uni? How supportive are they? What is placement vs academic work balance like? Any overall thoughts/opinions on either uni?
Thanks so much xx
Hi there!

I’m a current third-year nursing student at LJMU, and have had experience with a different university and I can happily say that LJMU is the better university I’ve been to.
All the staff are incredibly supportive, from technicians, lecturers, mental health and wellbeing, cohort leaders to the programme leader.

Placement wise, my placements last from 4-6 weeks in first and second year, and then two 10 week stints, with one 4 week. We have two assignments per academic semester, which coincides with placement, but we get 4 months to do them and get a lot of support alongside.

Picking LJMU was one of the best decisions I ever made

Nat
Third-year student nurse and ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by LJMUStudentReps
Hi there!

I’m a current third-year nursing student at LJMU, and have had experience with a different university and I can happily say that LJMU is the better university I’ve been to.
All the staff are incredibly supportive, from technicians, lecturers, mental health and wellbeing, cohort leaders to the programme leader.

Placement wise, my placements last from 4-6 weeks in first and second year, and then two 10 week stints, with one 4 week. We have two assignments per academic semester, which coincides with placement, but we get 4 months to do them and get a lot of support alongside.

Nat

Thank you SO much for your reply! That's all super useful information, I really appreciate it!
Good luck in the rest of your 3rd year and graduating too🥳❤️
Original post by CeíraCasey
Original post by LJMUStudentReps
Hi there!

Nat

Thank you SO much for your reply! That's all super useful information, I really appreciate it!
Good luck in the rest of your 3rd year and graduating too🥳❤️

You’re welcome!
Also to clarify, we get the 10 week placements in third year, apologises for any confusion, if any!

Nat
I've been offered places at both Edge Hill and John Moores for child nursing (starting Sept 2024) and I have NO idea which one to pick! Both have their own pros!
Has anyone had experience of undergraduate nursing at either uni? How supportive are they? What is placement vs academic work balance like? Any overall thoughts/opinions on either uni?
Thanks so much xx

Hi there,

Congratulations on both your offers.

Edge Hill University nursing students spend up to 50% of their programme on placement. In first year they complete a period of theory on campus and spend time in our Clinical Skills and Simulation Centre undertaking practical sessions, before they go out on to placement. Students typically go out on to their first placement after completing between 10-20 weeks on the course.

You might find our Nursing and Midwifery Placement FAQ document useful to learn more about how placements work on the course: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/departments/academic/health/nursing-and-midwifery/nursing/placement-faqs/

One of our current students Leanne has also written a placement diary, which you might find useful to gain an insight in to what it is like to be a nursing student with us: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/news/2023/07/my-month-on-nursing-placement/

I would also recommend you book on to one of our upcoming Offer Holder Days. These give students another opportunity to have a look around the campus and learn more about the course they hold an offer for. If you are having problems booking on to one of our events then please do get in touch with us on 01695 657000 or email [email protected].

I hope this helps

Pippa
Course Enquiries Team
Reply 5
Original post by Edge Hill University
Hi there,

Congratulations on both your offers.

Edge Hill University nursing students spend up to 50% of their programme on placement. In first year they complete a period of theory on campus and spend time in our Clinical Skills and Simulation Centre undertaking practical sessions, before they go out on to placement. Students typically go out on to their first placement after completing between 10-20 weeks on the course.

You might find our Nursing and Midwifery Placement FAQ document useful to learn more about how placements work on the course: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/departments/academic/health/nursing-and-midwifery/nursing/placement-faqs/

One of our current students Leanne has also written a placement diary, which you might find useful to gain an insight in to what it is like to be a nursing student with us: https://www.edgehill.ac.uk/news/2023/07/my-month-on-nursing-placement/

I would also recommend you book on to one of our upcoming Offer Holder Days. These give students another opportunity to have a look around the campus and learn more about the course they hold an offer for. If you are having problems booking on to one of our events then please do get in touch with us on 01695 657000 or email [email protected].

I hope this helps

Pippa
Course Enquiries Team

Thank you so much for your reply, I have booked onto an offer holder day and really looking forward to seeing more of the uni!
Thanks,
Ceíra
Thank you so much for your reply, I have booked onto an offer holder day and really looking forward to seeing more of the uni!
Thanks,
Ceíra

Hi Ceíra,

No problem, that is great to hear.

We are looking forward to welcoming you on to campus very soon.

Pippa
Course Enquiries Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending