The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Vet Medicine cars

Hi my daughter has a place at Surrey can anyone advise if you require a car to get to placements and if so when it would be needed. We are considering selling her car if it won’t get used
Reply 1
I think this very much depends, I’m about to start at Bristol for vet med and we have decided not to sell my car because of I want to do some further out placements it will make it so much easier for me to access. I’ve also decided to keep it because the latter years with clinical placements it makes it quicker for me to get to the vet school in an emergency late at night etc
I think it’s beneficial to have if you can afford to keep it!
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
I was thinking more about years one and possibly 2. She will have access to a car when back at home so wondered for the Surrey course how many placements need a car in the first year or so. I know she will need a car for year 5 but I don’t think her current car will last that long
Reply 3
Original post by JoHamilton
I was thinking more about years one and possibly 2. She will have access to a car when back at home so wondered for the Surrey course how many placements need a car in the first year or so. I know she will need a car for year 5 but I don’t think her current car will last that long

In the pre clinical years you are age the vast majority of not all of your own placements, so she’ll need a car as much as she makes herself need one. Eg if she chooses a lamb placement in the middle of no where a car will prob be helpful
Hi @JoHamilton

I recommend going over to our Unibuddy page, where there are several Vet Med students to chat to with plenty of experience to talk about more specific things such as commuting to placement.

I have friends doing many courses that involve placements, including Vet Med, with and without cars, but I think it ultimately depends on where the chosen placement is.

I hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending