The Student Room Group

Heath students and placement

Anyone else begun placement with their health course isn’t it just the most tiring thing 😭 I love the experience it gives you and the amount of learning I do in a day there is unmatched however I need a good nap afterwards!

Anyone else ?
Emily
Reply 1
Original post by Manchester Met - Student Rep
Anyone else begun placement with their health course isn’t it just the most tiring thing 😭 I love the experience it gives you and the amount of learning I do in a day there is unmatched however I need a good nap afterwards!

Anyone else ?
Emily

Hi
You'll feel very tired until you get use of the placements hours and shifts you are doing but will get easier to cope with as you get use to them okay.

Health care courses are tiring because of you being in your feet nearly all day 😞.

I'm glad you enjoying the experience from it ☺️.
Hopefully you'll learn lots of things from your placement and remember to keep notes on what you are doing as be useful later on for you.

I have been there when I did my midwife degree and juggling it alongside a part-time retail job but I did manage it when I got use of doing things.

Good luck with your health course.

Anyone else ?
Emily

Hi,

I 100% agree! Healthcare courses and placement are incredibly tiring but it’s so so worth it in my opinion. Seeing a patient get better and go home with their family, makes all the tiredness worth it.

I find that resting on my days off and eating well, helps keep me energised on the 12 hour shifts. Eating healthy, nourishing food with slow acting carbs both on my shifts and my days off gives me the energy to keep going. I also find that exercising on my days off for an hour or so and then just taking it easy the rest of the day, helps keep me fit and well, allowing me to give my best while on placement.

Placements are tiring but I do love the excitement of being on the wards! I hope everyone enjoys their placements this year!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd year Children’s Nursing)
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi
You'll feel very tired until you get use of the placements hours and shifts you are doing but will get easier to cope with as you get use to them okay.

Health care courses are tiring because of you being in your feet nearly all day 😞.

I'm glad you enjoying the experience from it ☺️.
Hopefully you'll learn lots of things from your placement and remember to keep notes on what you are doing as be useful later on for you.

I have been there when I did my midwife degree and juggling it alongside a part-time retail job but I did manage it when I got use of doing things.

Good luck with your health course.

Hi Tracy
Oh wow Midwifery! How was that?
Where did you do your degree at!
Any top tips for health students going to placement?

Emily <3
Original post by LSBU
Hi,

I 100% agree! Healthcare courses and placement are incredibly tiring but it’s so so worth it in my opinion. Seeing a patient get better and go home with their family, makes all the tiredness worth it.

I find that resting on my days off and eating well, helps keep me energised on the 12 hour shifts. Eating healthy, nourishing food with slow acting carbs both on my shifts and my days off gives me the energy to keep going. I also find that exercising on my days off for an hour or so and then just taking it easy the rest of the day, helps keep me fit and well, allowing me to give my best while on placement.

Placements are tiring but I do love the excitement of being on the wards! I hope everyone enjoys their placements this year!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd year Children’s Nursing)

Great advice
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 5
Hi Tracy
Oh wow Midwifery! How was that?
Where did you do your degree at!
Any top tips for health students going to placement?

Emily <3

Hi Emily 😊

Midwifery was very hard but if you plan things out properly then you should be able to cope with everything you do.
I did my midwifery degree at Edinburgh Napier university as didn't rate the university closest to were I'm from.

I would suggest any healthcare students regardless of what nursing field they are doing to prepare themselves for the hard work ahead of themselves.
Then maybe make sure they are always up-to-date with there coursework from university before thinking about having a night out with there friends.
Placements I would suggest ( if they haven't experienced getting up very early) to practice getting up early before they start there actually placements and also for doing a Nightshift - I use to get up about 7am and did whatever I needed to do and then go back to bed about 11.30-12pm until around 5pm and get organised before leaving for it.
Also resting as much as possible on days off can help.
I would agree with what Mary said about things in her response in reply number 2. Exercising is a good thing as it gets you tired and hopefully give you a good sleep 💤.
Balancing having meals at the same time whenever possible will be good especially on days off from place. You can't do that when working at placements because of various times you have to take your break.

Tracey 😀

Another thing is when on placement due to being on feet try to drink as much water as possible whenever it's possible to keep hydrated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending