The Student Room Group

7 reasons to choose a course with a placement year

Hi, I'm Lucy and I study a BSc (Hons) Marketing course. I'm going to share why I decided to do a degree with a placement year and discuss the skills I expect to gain. 😊

A placement year was the path I chose to go down when it came to applying for uni. I had toyed between a study abroad year and a placement year, knowing full well I wanted to do a 4-year, not a 3- year degree.

What actually is a placement year?
A placement year, often known as a sandwich year or industrial placement, is a hands-on practical experience in a professional environment during the university journey that is related to their field of study. Typically, it lasts for one academic year but can be extended, taking place between the second and final year of the degree.

The point of the experience is to bridge the gap between theory taught and the realistic world of work by giving students a chance to apply and develop skills they have learned in the classroom and prepare for graduate life.

7 benefits of a placement year

1. Practical application of knowledge: You're in the work environment that you have been learning about. This is the time to properly use what you have learned in a real-world setting.

2. Industry skill development: You learn skills that just cannot be taught in the classroom.

3. Professional insight: Gain more of an idea of what working in your chosen career is actually like.

4. Networking opportunities: Networking and creating relationships are one of the most important resources that exist. Going into the work environment allows you to meet people that could be really useful in the future.

5. Increased employability: A much larger proportion of the population has a degree now, especially going into fields that have related degrees, therefore just having a degree isn't enough to make yourself a top candidate for roles. A placement is a head start into the world of work and gives you experience.

6. Exploration of career paths: You might not know which niche you want to go into in your wider field and this is an opportunity to try one out.

7. Increased confidence: You get to grips with the working role, so you feel a lot better and less like you're jumping in at the deep end when entering a job.

Ways to do a placement year
Lots of companies offer placement year opportunities, you just have to find them. My university offers a careers service which uses a platform called 'Handshake' where you can book a meeting to get support with finding and applying to placements and the team posts opportunities on the app.

The question I hear a lot of students have is 'how do I know if I am eligible to do a placement year?' The answer is, unfortunately, some courses offer it and some do not and the way to find out is to look on university websites and see if there is the option. If there is, it tends to be an integrated degree and you would be advised to contact your course leader in order to switch pathways. It is relatively open and easy to do, you just need to do it as early as possible to ensure it is possible.

In summary, a placement year is one of the most valuable experiences offered to university students and I would always personally recommend it. It may be still unclear after processing the above information, if this is the case you may want to contact your course rep, course lead, or the Careers and Employability Services team.

Are you studying a course with a placement year? :smile:
Original post by University of Bradford
Hi, I'm Lucy and I study a BSc (Hons) Marketing course. I'm going to share why I decided to do a degree with a placement year and discuss the skills I expect to gain. 😊

A placement year was the path I chose to go down when it came to applying for uni. I had toyed between a study abroad year and a placement year, knowing full well I wanted to do a 4-year, not a 3- year degree.

A placement year, often known as a sandwich year or industrial placement, is a hands-on practical experience in a professional environment during the university journey that is related to their field of study. Typically, it lasts for one academic year but can be extended, taking place between the second and final year of the degree.

The point of the experience is to bridge the gap between theory taught and the realistic world of work by giving students a chance to apply and develop skills they have learned in the classroom and prepare for graduate life.

1. Practical application of knowledge: You're in the work environment that you have been learning about. This is the time to properly use what you have learned in a real-world setting.

2. Industry skill development: You learn skills that just cannot be taught in the classroom.

3. Professional insight: Gain more of an idea of what working in your chosen career is actually like.

4. Networking opportunities: Networking and creating relationships are one of the most important resources that exist. Going into the work environment allows you to meet people that could be really useful in the future.

5. Increased employability: A much larger proportion of the population has a degree now, especially going into fields that have related degrees, therefore just having a degree isn't enough to make yourself a top candidate for roles. A placement is a head start into the world of work and gives you experience.

6. Exploration of career paths: You might not know which niche you want to go into in your wider field and this is an opportunity to try one out.

7. Increased confidence: You get to grips with the working role, so you feel a lot better and less like you're jumping in at the deep end when entering a job.

Lots of companies offer placement year opportunities, you just have to find them. My university offers a careers service which uses a platform called 'Handshake' where you can book a meeting to get support with finding and applying to placements and the team posts opportunities on the app.

The question I hear a lot of students have is 'how do I know if I am eligible to do a placement year?' The answer is, unfortunately, some courses offer it and some do not and the way to find out is to look on university websites and see if there is the option. If there is, it tends to be an integrated degree and you would be advised to contact your course leader in order to switch pathways. It is relatively open and easy to do, you just need to do it as early as possible to ensure it is possible.

In summary, a placement year is one of the most valuable experiences offered to university students and I would always personally recommend it. It may be still unclear after processing the above information, if this is the case you may want to contact your course rep, course lead, or the Careers and Employability Services team.

As someone studying biochemistry - I cannot agree enough. My placement year (working in drug discovery and biotechnology) is literally the most helpful experience I have ever had. I have already learnt so much, both new techniques and contextualising previous knowledge. It's given me career direction, the opportunity to talk to people working in a sector I'm interested in, and helped me learn structure and good habits - you cant just skip the 9am work start like you can a lecture!

I got a lot of support from my university in terms of CVs, interview and assessment centre prep, and helping me find job opportunities. University Careers teams are amazing and a lot of people either don't interact with them or only chat to them in their last year, I really recommend reaching out (even if you're only applying for a part-time job) as they are so helpful!

Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Hello,

As a medical student, a lot of my degree revolves around different placement opportunities and I think a placement year is one of the best things you can do.

It can help you learn about the practical aspect of your degree and give you insight on what it's like working the industry. Furthermore, it is a great networking opportunity, which can be useful when you are looking for jobs after you graduate.

Nonetheless, from a personal perspective, having a placement year will teach you discipline as you will have to abide by work rules, and learn all about life in the workspace.

I think it will be a great opportunity and I highly recommend it.

Best of luck,
Haya- MBBS 5
Original post by University of Bradford

Hi there!

I second this so much! A placement year can be an amazing experience and help you take a huge step forward after graduation!

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending