The Student Room Group

Getting a second job on top of placement?

So I got my placement starting in London this September. And this year I'm just trying to make as much money as possible, so I'm reading a little around investing in stocks and index funds. Recently I had the idea of getting a second job on top of my full time placement job. Do you think it's doable?
Reply 1
Original post by rsen1324
So I got my placement starting in London this September. And this year I'm just trying to make as much money as possible, so I'm reading a little around investing in stocks and index funds. Recently I had the idea of getting a second job on top of my full time placement job. Do you think it's doable?

Congrats on securing a placement! As long as you have the energy to cope with the situation and handle the pressure, it should be fine.
What kind of placement is this? Do you know what the hours are and what the requirements for the placement are? If you're on a healthcare course I gather the placements are effectively working full time while on placement so I can't see it being realistic to work even part-time alongside that - you will just burn out.

First off, congrats on securing a placement! For the psych placements at least I'm told that doing a second job alongside the placement is pretty common, since the placement itself is unfortunately unpaid. Though, it all depends on the placement and the second job itself, in terms of how much work and time it takes. As long as you manage your time well and don't overload yourself, it's doable.

- Fatiha, Cardiff Uni Student Rep
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
What kind of placement is this? Do you know what the hours are and what the requirements for the placement are? If you're on a healthcare course I gather the placements are effectively working full time while on placement so I can't see it being realistic to work even part-time alongside that - you will just burn out.

So it's a computer science software engineering placement so I can imagine it's going to be very heavy. And the hours are the standard 9-5.
So it's a computer science software engineering placement so I can imagine it's going to be very heavy. And the hours are the standard 9-5.

Generally it's not realistic to work a full time job AND a part-time job at the same time. As you will then have to spend your evenings/nights/weekends working and you will be more tired during your day job as well as during your part-time job. It's not sustainable and I can't see that it's a good idea, especially if you're trying to make a good impression on the placement.

A little sunday job/casual job is doable. Ive done it myself before. As long as the hours dont clash and you manage your time you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending