The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level History: Essay tips?

Hi,
I'm studying history and am stuck at a B in most my essays. I am still very early into my course, and I'm sure I'll pick up skills into the year, but I would like to know any tips to get those extra marks or any structures I could follow. Anything helps.

My Paper 1 topic is: In search of the American Dream: the USA c 1917-96

Paper 2 is: South Africa, 1948-94: from apartheid state to 'rainbow nation'

Paper 3 is: Britain: losing and gaining an empire, 1763-1914
Reply 2
Original post by communismm
Hi,
I'm studying history and am stuck at a B in most my essays. I am still very early into my course, and I'm sure I'll pick up skills into the year, but I would like to know any tips to get those extra marks or any structures I could follow. Anything helps.

My Paper 1 topic is: In search of the American Dream: the USA c 1917-96

Paper 2 is: South Africa, 1948-94: from apartheid state to 'rainbow nation'

Paper 3 is: Britain: losing and gaining an empire, 1763-1914

All I'd say is I get Bs but from what I'm always told is answer question, link back, provide specific facts eg. if there were lots of cinema seats in '41 say how many there were so there were 10.5m. My US history paper 1 i was talking about 600k NAACP members in '40, $100m sold in Davy Crockett outfits in '55 etc. Establish a criteria, basically linking back to which point which was most sig so you're comparing points. If you think the New Deal was the most sig in changing the position of women from 1917-80 over Women's Lib and legislative changes, in every paragraph say why the New Deal is more sig then your other points, so W Lib and legislative changes

Esentially: link back to Q, specifics, criteria. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest