The Student Room Group

french writing exam...

hi,so im doing french aqa higher gcse, and i have my mock in 4 days! generally im quite good at french, but my ego got shattered when i got 16/32 on my 150 words test i did in class :frown: so now im quite scared for the actual proper exam hall mock. idk what i need to know and be good at for the writing, especially the 150 words (the class one was an abomination fr every sentence i wrote had major errors LOL) because i know i do well in listening reading and speaking so to have my chances of a grade 9 be completely ruined because of my inability to write normal coherent sentences is smth i dont want... so fr what do i have to focus on this is such an emergency im so scared! also yeah i have 4 days thats loads of time but i have 15 other exams to revise for like im not doing well w time management so i need something i can do in like 2-3 hours! pls help i actually have potential in french which isnt the same for any of my other classes LMAO
Original post by hannaslays
hi,so im doing french aqa higher gcse, and i have my mock in 4 days! generally im quite good at french, but my ego got shattered when i got 16/32 on my 150 words test i did in class :frown: so now im quite scared for the actual proper exam hall mock. idk what i need to know and be good at for the writing, especially the 150 words (the class one was an abomination fr every sentence i wrote had major errors LOL) because i know i do well in listening reading and speaking so to have my chances of a grade 9 be completely ruined because of my inability to write normal coherent sentences is smth i dont want... so fr what do i have to focus on this is such an emergency im so scared! also yeah i have 4 days thats loads of time but i have 15 other exams to revise for like im not doing well w time management so i need something i can do in like 2-3 hours! pls help i actually have potential in french which isnt the same for any of my other classes LMAO

Hiya there!

It sounds like you're going through a tough time in GCSE French right now, but please remember that mocks aren't the be all and end all! :suith: I'm sure you know much more than you think - you just had a little slip up, but you can definitely improve a lot from now and get that grade 9! For the next few days, I would do little and often revision here and there, but not going overboard. I would advise you to remember a few sentences/sentence structures/phrases and then use them in your writing practice; that way you know that you'll have some good sentences in your work so that you get a higher grade :h:. Once your mocks are over, I would focus on doing more writing past papers in your own time, and also nailing your vocab!

Hope this helps x

Marimo
UCL Y3 Med Student
Study Mind
if there's any way you can have practice talking/writing in french, like Duolingo or a pen pal, definitely try that!

to get used to sentence structures and tenses i recommend watching a tv show you like in french with english subtitles--it highlights the difference between English and french sentence structures, similar with music. The inverse doesn't work too well unless you're decently fluent but it's always worth a try.

i'm not fluent yet but i'd be more than happy to help you out with practice if you want.
Reply 3
Original post by StudyMind
Hiya there!

It sounds like you're going through a tough time in GCSE French right now, but please remember that mocks aren't the be all and end all! :suith: I'm sure you know much more than you think - you just had a little slip up, but you can definitely improve a lot from now and get that grade 9! For the next few days, I would do little and often revision here and there, but not going overboard. I would advise you to remember a few sentences/sentence structures/phrases and then use them in your writing practice; that way you know that you'll have some good sentences in your work so that you get a higher grade :h:. Once your mocks are over, I would focus on doing more writing past papers in your own time, and also nailing your vocab!

Hope this helps x

Marimo
UCL Y3 Med Student
Study Mind

hah just a very late update but i did end up getting a 9!!

this is acc my situation my writing was good until the start of year 11 I thought It was a one off but its happened a few time idk how to fix it
hah just a very late update but i did end up getting a 9!!

well done
on my mock I just got a 7
and I revised tenses did a whole grid on the back of my paper
and structures and stuff and wrote a whole list out
she said I wrote too much and made errors in some of the structures and overall errors
she's not rlly giving me any useful advice but what did u end up doing for revision
also what are u doing for the other French exams too
Original post by riley.luce
well done
on my mock I just got a 7
and I revised tenses did a whole grid on the back of my paper
and structures and stuff and wrote a whole list out
she said I wrote too much and made errors in some of the structures and overall errors
she's not rlly giving me any useful advice but what did u end up doing for revision
also what are u doing for the other French exams too

my speaking was an 8 and I got an 8 on listening and reading too w/o revision
I acc revised for writing and just got a 7 which is so embarrassing

Quick Reply

Latest