The Student Room Group

im losing hope

Help. If you don’t want to read all this because its long please just read the last paragraph where I have summarised everything

so I'm year 13 and I feel as though I've ruined my life by not doing any work in year 12. I do biology, chemistry and maths and got ADC predicted grades, in that order. I know people say your grades aren't the be all and end all, but for me it is. I've never really wanted much from life other than to do dentistry.

My plan for now is to just focus on my A-levels and get A*AA/ AAA so I can apply with achieved grades next year. But my question is am I being delusional? For thinking that I will be able to improve so drastically in less than 6 months? Especially considering the fact that I haven't really built the discipline previously?

Is it possible to do what I have stated above about getting A grades? I keep hearing people say it is but u need to work hard. Can someone please clarify what exactly they mean? How many hours per day? And im not sure how to feel about this saying because it could just be 0.03% of people who improve by that much.

For background info, I got pretty much all 8s at GCSE with about a 3 weeks worth of intense revision. So basically what i'm saying is I never really had to try so hard and cramming worked fine for me. Come to find out, A-levels proved me wrong. I dont think I’m stupid academically but not revising was definitely a stupid move.

I also need help with HOW to revise for maths and especially chemistry.

I may seem a bit crazy rn but this has been having a tremendous effect on my mental health. And i've never had bad mental health before so I don't even know how to deal with it.

Summary: I do bio, chem and maths and have been predicted ADC but I need A*/A grades. Im in year 13 and have about 6 months. I need to also redo all of AS as i didnt work hard in year 12. Is this possible? Did you/ do you know anyone who has had success? How did they do this?
Original post by biologyfruit
Help. If you don’t want to read all this because its long please just read the last paragraph where I have summarised everything

so I'm year 13 and I feel as though I've ruined my life by not doing any work in year 12. I do biology, chemistry and maths and got ADC predicted grades, in that order. I know people say your grades aren't the be all and end all, but for me it is. I've never really wanted much from life other than to do dentistry.

My plan for now is to just focus on my A-levels and get A*AA/ AAA so I can apply with achieved grades next year. But my question is am I being delusional? For thinking that I will be able to improve so drastically in less than 6 months? Especially considering the fact that I haven't really built the discipline previously?

Is it possible to do what I have stated above about getting A grades? I keep hearing people say it is but u need to work hard. Can someone please clarify what exactly they mean? How many hours per day? And im not sure how to feel about this saying because it could just be 0.03% of people who improve by that much.

For background info, I got pretty much all 8s at GCSE with about a 3 weeks worth of intense revision. So basically what i'm saying is I never really had to try so hard and cramming worked fine for me. Come to find out, A-levels proved me wrong. I dont think I’m stupid academically but not revising was definitely a stupid move.

I may seem a bit crazy rn but this has been having a tremendous effect on my mental health. And i've never had bad mental health before so I don't even know how to deal with it.

Summary: I do bio, chem and maths and have been predicted ADC but I need A*/A grades. Im in year 13 and have about 6 months. I need to also redo all of AS as i didnt work hard in year 12. Is this possible? Did you/ do you know anyone who has had success? How did they do this?

I don't have any personal advice for chemistry as I have not done that yet.

For maths, the key to it is to do past papers; lots of them. I would use everything at your disposal including: revision guides (specific to your exam board), exam practice books, and lots of past papers. I would also try to finish all the material by the end of January, so you would have adequate time to revise for the other A Levels.

Chemistry I heard is also very content heavy, so I would recommend finish covering the content early so you have more time to revise.

My standard revision guidelines is to spent at least 300 hours on each A Level for revision.

For maths, I would time the past papers in alignment with the exam dates (i.e. more past papers closer to the exams than when you start revision). Do 3 past papers for maths per week under timed conditions.
When correcting your answers, I would look at where you went wrong. If it's due to lack of understanding the material or your brain went completely blank, then I would use the revision guides to look through the material and do some questions to grasp the material. If it's due to careless mistakes, then I would look at why you made the mistakes that you made.
After picking out all of the wrong answers, I would redo those particular questions then review them again. I would repeat this process until the answer is correct and I would get full marks for those questions.
I would then repeat the process with other past papers.

Once you have went through all of the past papers for your exam board as far back as 2018, go for the even older papers if you have access to them (along with the mark schemes). Once you have finished those past papers, move onto past papers of other exam boards.
Reply 2
Original post by biologyfruit

im in the exact same boat and have no clue what to do except i do art, bio and chem. chem maths is a nightmare and its draining me out so much.

Quick Reply

Latest