The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
LH123
I'm not 100% sure what I said was correct, but it is certainly frowned upon by the mods, from what I can gather. Probably best to wait for Nina or someone to appear and confirm my suspicions.

The data protection declaration from Emma states that: "The College expects me to retain confidentiality and not to share interview questions and unseen work [...] before the admissions round is complete in early January."

From this it seems that they are not interested in having the interviewees becoming too informed about the interview or any unseen work before the actual interview - quite understandable i guess, to best give equal opportunity to all applicants.
Reply 41
Applicant
The data protection declaration from Emma states that: "The College expects me to retain confidentiality and not to share interview questions and unseen work [...] before the admissions round is complete in early January."

From this it seems that they are not interested in having the interviewees becoming too informed about the interview or any unseen work before the actual interview - quite understandable i guess, to best give equal opportunity to all applicants.

I meant afterwards too, but if that's all it says then I don't know. :dontknow:
Reply 42
Gourdman
In a discussion on entropy and protein folding I concluded that proteins cannot fold up. At all. Absolutely impossible.

:rofl: Oooh dear!
Llamaaa
In my first interview my interviewer was Scottish, and I found myself mimicking his accent :biggrin:

In the same interview Iwas asked why I thought the law was so important, and I started off by saying that it effects everyone in everyday life, and decided to use the example of cheese (when you buy cheese it came here through EU law, you are entering into a contract etc). But I found myself in a rut and had lost my train of thought so I ended up just listing a long list of types of cheese- "whether it be cheddar, edam, mozzarella, or even goats cheese, or llama cheese- I had that in Peru once, it wasn't very nice. I have a pet llama, you know- he's called Basil...he can't make cheese because he's boy...of course, that's another type of law- biological law. But I'm not good at science, which is why I chose proper law. Of course in real law we have natural law, but that's a whole different kettle of fish...which are, of course, very different to cheese."

I know the exact verbal splurge because it was recorded during interview and has since been played back to me at every given opportunity :biggrin:

That is hilarious. :biggrin:
Reply 44
LH123

Well I for one would probably have a hard time not talking about the interview, but from what I can gather from the other threads about this subject, people are allowed to talk about the interview (and I would be surprised if not someone discussed it immediately afterwards).
Reply 45
Applicant
Well I for one would probably have a hard time not talking about the interview, but from what I can gather from the other threads about this subject, people are allowed to talk about the interview (and I would be surprised if not someone discussed it immediately afterwards).

Well I will discuss it with people I know, but not publicly on a forum. Personal choice I guess.
Reply 46
Gourdman
Mine were major. In a discussion on entropy and protein folding I concluded that proteins cannot fold up. At all. Absolutely impossible. (It isn't) And I said that the phosphate probably doesn't break in the hydrolysis of RNA (it does). And I started talking about friendly bacteria.

Well I dunno - if you look at proteins without knowing they actually fold it isnt too unreasonable to assume they wont :tongue: By entropy considerations that is - I mean there are a number of things that you have to take into account that I certainly didnt know in high school (like hydrophobic effect).
Llamaaa
In my first interview my interviewer was Scottish, and I found myself mimicking his accent :biggrin:

In the same interview Iwas asked why I thought the law was so important, and I started off by saying that it effects everyone in everyday life, and decided to use the example of cheese (when you buy cheese it came here through EU law, you are entering into a contract etc). But I found myself in a rut and had lost my train of thought so I ended up just listing a long list of types of cheese- "whether it be cheddar, edam, mozzarella, or even goats cheese, or llama cheese- I had that in Peru once, it wasn't very nice. I have a pet llama, you know- he's called Basil...he can't make cheese because he's boy...of course, that's another type of law- biological law. But I'm not good at science, which is why I chose proper law. Of course in real law we have natural law, but that's a whole different kettle of fish...which are, of course, very different to cheese."

I know the exact verbal splurge because it was recorded during interview and has since been played back to me at every given opportunity :biggrin:

I definitely have to prepare something at least as funny for my interview:biggrin:
Yeah as has already been said. I'm pretty sure I explained the reasons in the announcement, if not I'll go and put them in. Also, you have to be careful about going into too much detail because in some instances they use the same questions each year.
LH123
I'm not 100% sure what I said was correct, but it is certainly frowned upon by the mods, from what I can gather. Probably best to wait for Nina or someone to appear and confirm my suspicions.

I think it's mainly because they re-use interview questions from applicant to applicant and year to year.
Reply 50
IMO asking people not to talk about interviews until January is fair, but it seems a bit excessive not to be able to do it after that as well.
Scipio90
IMO asking people not to talk about interviews until January is fair, but it seems a bit excessive not to be able to do it after that as well.

Please tell me exactly which part of the phrase "they use the same questions each year" you don't understand.
Reply 52
Good bloke
Please tell me exactly which part of the phrase "they use the same questions each year" you don't understand.

Yes, I get that. It wouldn't kill them to make up some new ones each year, though.
Scipio90
Yes, I get that. It wouldn't kill them to make up some new ones each year, though.

Is it encumbent upon the tutors to change for you, the potential applicant, or do you think it might be more appropriate that you play their game by their rules, given that they are the referees as well as full-time players?
Reply 54
Good bloke
Is it encumbent upon the tutors to change for you, the potential applicant, or do you think it might be more appropriate that you play their game by their rules, given that they are the referees as well as full-time players?

I just think that the rules lead to unfairness. Assuming the same questions are used each year, people from schools with many oxbridge applicants will know what they'll be asked from talking to people who've been through the process, whereas people who only have TSR as an oxbridge resource will have no idea. I appreciate that with interview-style questions, knowing them in advance won't guarantee success, but you're more likely to say something sensible if you've had time in advance to think about it.
Llamaaa
In the same interview I talkedwhy I thought the law was so important, and I started off by saying that it effects everyone in everyday life, and decided to use the example of cheese (when you buy cheese it came here through EU law, you are entering into a contract etc). But I found myself in a rut and had lost my train of thought so I ended up just listing a long list of types of cheese- "whether it be cheddar, edam, mozzarella, or even goats cheese, or llama cheese- I had that in Peru once, it wasn't very nice. I have a pet llama, you know- he's called Basil...he can't make cheese because he's boy...of course, that's another type of law- biological law. But I'm not good at science, which is why I chose proper law. Of course in real law we have natural law, but that's a whole different kettle of fish...which are, of course, very different to cheese."

**edited so as not to anger the friendly mod :biggrin:

:toofunny: Classic :biggrin:
SylverStrike
I know people sometimes cry after the interview, but has anyone ever cried during the interview? If so, how did you remedy the situation?

Our Arts Admissions Tutor made several people cry in their interviews. He has a reputation for being harsh. In my case I just got quite argumentative. I suppose if you cry you just pause and calm down and then carry on - what else are you going to do.
jismith1989
I'd imagine that it's not very typical, seeing how it's illegal without the consent of the applicant and all. :wink:

No - its quite common.
darvulia
GENIUS! I haven't laughed like that since one friend of mine was asked at a Princeton interview why was he applying at Harvard.

Tbh they might have been trying to catch him out - especially if they guessed he'd applied to both. My interviewers asked why I'd chosen to study in the UK rather than the US: I got really annoyed at that.
BrightGirl
Oh aren't you? How come?

The same reason you don't publicise the questions of an exam paper when different people are writing it at different times: this is a public forum.
LH123

Yeh but they still have to interview people in the January pool...
Applicant

Tbh there's a huge amount you can say about your experience and the nature of the mistakes you made without breaking confidentiality with regards to specific questions.
Reply 56
Scipio90
I just think that the rules lead to unfairness. Assuming the same questions are used each year, people from schools with many oxbridge applicants will know what they'll be asked from talking to people who've been through the process, whereas people who only have TSR as an oxbridge resource will have no idea.

Yeah, and that's how Oxbridge Applications have built up such an impressive bank of questions, too.

However, I don't think it's standard practice for the exact same questions to be used each year, especially in Law interviews. I know that my DoS doesn't stick to the same questions.
Reply 57
jcb914
Yeah, and that's how Oxbridge Applications have built up such an impressive bank of questions, too.

Judging by their press releases, their bank is about as impressive as Northern Rock...
They are more likely to stick to the same questions in sciences, or so I'm led to believe. But we can't exactly have a split rule, especially when we don't know all the details, so we are simply doing as requested.

Realistically, you can probably find a lot of information by searching TSR, but particularly around applicant time we have to be stricter - we don't want applicants to get rejected because of something they thought was entirely innocent.
Reply 59
Scipio90
Judging by their press releases, their bank is about as impressive as Northern Rock...

Fair enough. I went on their Interview Preparation Day and found the questions they shared to be very accurate to the types of questions asked in the actual interview. Two other people from my school had questions they were asked at the interview preparation day repeated exactly at their real Cambridge interviews, and found it much easier the second time round, especially having received comprehensive comments about their first performance and how to improve.....

Latest

Trending

Trending