The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jcb914
Fair enough. I went on their Interview Preparation Day and found the questions they shared to be very accurate to the types of questions asked in the actual interview. Two other people from my school had questions they were asked at the interview preparation day repeated exactly at their real Cambridge interviews, and found it much easier the second time round, especially having received comprehensive comments about their first performance and how to improve.....

I found the questions utterly crap. SPS is far more individually tailored I think. None of the several example questions I found in any way resembled those I was asked.
Reply 61
'Can you write a History of Happiness, and if so, how?'

I thought he was joking and laughed at him.

He wasn't.

--------

But yeah, if you sign a declaration binding you to secrecy until the admissions round is over, and then come on here and post, you're going to end up in trouble and probably have your application thrown out. A bloke on here last year had that happen to him. There are a LOT of fellows, DoS' and admissions tutors floating around here at that time of year, whether registered or just lurking, you can assume there's one from every college at least.
Reply 62
Cantab
you can assume there's one from every college at least.

Wow, I wouldn't expect that many. Half a dozen at most, I would have thought.
Reply 63
jismith1989
Do you mind me asking why they were so bad?

Well for one subject in my second year (which I ended up taking for third year...) the other three girls were amazing students who got firsts in their first year exams, and I struggled to get a 2ii, so whilst they picked up and understood concepts really easily, and remembered them, I found it very difficult. Not great for the confidence, I felt like the one that slipped through the net. The supervisor was a lovely guy, but he was new to the supervision system and wasn't sure how hard to pitch it- he went for too hard!

Then you just get the general bad days where you don't get anything and the supervisor insists on grilling you mercilessly. These days are not helped by being ill, or hungover, or tired. All three of which happen a lot.

Of course, you do get good supervisions- the bad ones just stick out more for me.
If they do reuse interview questions... my school has a list of every single one for the past 8 years. I should go get one really.
*Joanna*
Well for one subject in my second year (which I ended up taking for third year...) the other three girls were amazing students who got firsts in their first year exams, and I struggled to get a 2ii, so whilst they picked up and understood concepts really easily, and remembered them, I found it very difficult. Not great for the confidence, I felt like the one that slipped through the net. The supervisor was a lovely guy, but he was new to the supervision system and wasn't sure how hard to pitch it- he went for too hard!

Then you just get the general bad days where you don't get anything and the supervisor insists on grilling you mercilessly. These days are not helped by being ill, or hungover, or tired. All three of which happen a lot.

Of course, you do get good supervisions- the bad ones just stick out more for me.

Aww, that doesn't sound so wonderful. :hugs:

Still, at least you have your degree now!
Reply 66
dramaminedreams
If they do reuse interview questions... my school has a list of every single one for the past 8 years. I should go get one really.

I doubt your school has a list of every single question used in every Cambridge interview in the past 8 years. That's just ridiculous, let alone impossible.
jcb914
I doubt your school has a list of every single question used in every Cambridge interview in the past 8 years. That's just ridiculous, let alone impossible.

Well every single question an applicant remembers. If you add that all up we have a pretty good idea what's coming.
dramaminedreams
Well every single question an applicant remembers. If you add that all up we have a pretty good idea what's coming.

You may have questions, but answers are what they're looking for. :yep:
dramaminedreams

I don't really think that will help you much. As someone (Goodbloke I think) posted earlier - they're not looking for answers, but trying to work out how you tackle problems and analyse things. Also there will be part of it that is tailored to information provided in your application.
Craghyrax
I don't really think that will help you much. As someone (Goodbloke I think) posted earlier - they're not looking for answers, but trying to work out how you tackle problems and analyse things. Also there will be part of it that is tailored to information provided in your application.

I agree but it can't hurt having a bit of extra time to think about some of the questions.
Reply 71
Scipio90
I just think that the rules lead to unfairness. Assuming the same questions are used each year, people from schools with many oxbridge applicants will know what they'll be asked from talking to people who've been through the process, whereas people who only have TSR as an oxbridge resource will have no idea. I appreciate that with interview-style questions, knowing them in advance won't guarantee success, but you're more likely to say something sensible if you've had time in advance to think about it.

Well, I can almost guarantee for my college, and my course etc, the questions asked were almost identical year on year since there are people I have spoken to have had the same interview in terms of the technical questions.

However it may just be the case for science-type subjects where even exams appear to be the same format as last year etc.

Fair enough - there are advantages to be gained and exploited from just talking to previous successful applicants. This is life itself. I reckon its the way you think and the method used to get to the answers is what they are really after!

I can understand why TSR mods won't allow the interview talks as it unlevels the "online" playing field.
dramaminedreams
I agree but it can't hurt having a bit of extra time to think about some of the questions.

Fair enough :smile: In my case I chose to put all thought of the interview out of my mind until the big day :dry: However the nature of the questions for some subjects are far more predictable than for others.
Reply 73
Scipio90
Wow, I wouldn't expect that many. Half a dozen at most, I would have thought.

Plenty of fellows are young enough to have facebook and similar, and this is a very well known website, it's not a big stretch to go to the most used student website to see what people are saying about the system. There have been plenty of incidences of students on here being talked to about what they've said here - I've had it happen to me. There's certainly more than 6.
I know the one from our college :smile:
Reply 75
Cantab
There have been plenty of incidences of students on here being talked to about what they've said here - I've had it happen to me.

What did you say that needed flagging up by your college?
Could we get back to the topic please :smile:
Reply 77
I made two that I can remember. One is well documented (me saying the wrong name for a particular type of cell and posting it on the internet, so subsequent years who've read that site make the same mistake as me :o: ). The other was as a result of me being too embarassed to say a specific answer because I couldn't believe that 60+ year old fellows would ask me about the contraceptive pill.
Reply 78
Shadow of a Dream
I had the most horrific interview ever - and this is sadly not melodrama on my part (won't go into specifics - the problems all lay with my nerves/complete unawareness of what to expect, not with my interviewers, who were, and still are, lovely). But I (bizarrely!) still got an offer - so there is hope, no matter how badly you think you've done (I was convinced, to the point that I've never been more certain of anything, that I'd been rejected). So please don't panic, all who are off for interview soon - just do your best, and I'm sure you'll all be fine :smile:

Surely the truth is that most of you won't be fine given the interview to offers ratio? And it isn't all about the interview. My brother was told (via feedback to his school )that he had interviewed really well but didn't get an offer because he had not done well enough in the grammar of the MML test. He was advised to reapply this year but decided to take up one of his other offers. He is fine in the sense that he is really happy now and there is life after being an Oxbridge reject...
Stretton
Surely the truth is that most of you won't be fine given the interview to offers ratio? And it isn't all about the interview. My brother was told (via feedback to his school )that he had interviewed really well but didn't get an offer because he had not done well enough in the grammar of the MML test. He was advised to reapply this year but decided to take up one of his other offers. He is fine in the sense that he is really happy now and there is life after being an Oxbridge reject...

My point exactly - it isn't all about the interview, and Oxbridge really isn't the be all and end all, no matter how much it may seem it at the time. Of course I absolutely adore Cambridge, and am very glad to be here, but I'm sure (like your brother) I would, in practice, have been happy at any of the other universities to which I applied. My point was simply that things can seem to have gone horribly wrong, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they have - and I'm sure that in the vast majority of (if not all) cases, an atrocious interview/failed application/missed offer etc doesn't mean that the applicant in question doesn't go on to study a course they love and be happy and successful, be that at Cambridge or elsewhere.

Latest

Trending

Trending