The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
The West Wing
I thought mine went as well as it possibly could have if I'm being honest, and I felt very good about it afterwards despite it being extremely tough.

what questions were u asked?
Jibzy
what questions were u asked?

That won't really help you, as his interview was for PPS, and the questions are completely variant.
Good bloke
Is it encumbent upon the tutors to change for you, the potential applicant, or do you think it might be more appropriate that you play their game by their rules, given that they are the referees as well as full-time players?

I'd say that it was incumbent upon them, being responsible for creating a fair admissions system. :smile:
Reply 83
Craghyrax
That won't really help you, as his interview was for PPS, and the questions are completely variant.

I was just curious.
I applied to Oxford last year and got interviewed for PPE. the level of questioning was quite insane. Just wanted to see how deep the questions asked at cambridge were.
Jibzy
I was just curious.
I applied to Oxford last year and got interviewed for PPE. the level of questioning was quite insane. Just wanted to see how deep the questions asked at cambridge were.

I'm an SPS student, but I can't tell you that because the question is too relative. Unless The West Wing had also had a PPE interview at Oxford, how could he or I guess whether our interviews were more 'deep' than those you were asked at Oxford? :confused:
Many of my questions were centred around an essay I wrote for them, so quite tailored :dontknow:
Reply 85
Craghyrax
I'm an SPS student, but I can't tell you that because the question is too relative. Unless The West Wing had also had a PPE interview at Oxford, how could he or I guess whether our interviews were more 'deep' than those you were asked at Oxford? :confused:
Many of my questions were centred around an essay I wrote for them, so quite tailored :dontknow:

obviously, PPS and PPE cant be really compared. but never mind:p:
Jibzy
obviously, PPS and PPE cant be really compared. but never mind:p:

Ok :cool:
Reply 87
Any tips for the SPS interview? I've applied to Jesus College, and have my interview on the 8th December.
Any advice would be really useful, thanks :smile:
Reply 88
I haven't told a soul about some of my interview mistakes. They were so serious, so fundamental and so insane that I cannot think about them without wincing.

They expect you to make mistakes. Thank god.
JoshyT
Any tips for the SPS interview? I've applied to Jesus College, and have my interview on the 8th December.
Any advice would be really useful, thanks :smile:

Nope.

Well.. ok.. I guess be familiar with the work you've handed in and your personal statement. And have a look in some of the other threads. There's a PPS thread and if you page back in the Cambridge forum a link to a Times article of interview tips that we all tear to shreds :biggrin:
Reply 90
Great, thanks a lot!
Anyone make big mathematical mistakes in interview? Cambridge Mathmos?
Reply 92
Personally, watching the mock interviews (from Emmanuel, but available at cam.ac.uk as well) was quite reassuring - to those who have not already done that (not a lot I expect), I found them at:
http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/videos/interviews/
Jibzy
I was just curious.

My DoS is extremely tough and expects everything out of you. She basically made me feel like I was an idiot and a total failure at life but I hear she does this to everyone she interviews, and I felt like I stood my ground.
Reply 94
Applicant
Personally, watching the mock interviews (from Emmanuel, but available at cam.ac.uk as well) was quite reassuring - to those who have not already done that (not a lot I expect), I found them at:
http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/videos/interviews/

Not sure how representative the Emmanuel mock interviews are for all colleges - e.g. Trinity College say on their website:
Trinity College
You should note that the University's film guide Interviews in Action is not an accurate guide to what goes on in Trinity interviews, which are of a more technical nature than the fictional ones presented in the film.

though I believe this is refering to some other 'mock' interview movies, not necessarily the Emmanuel ones? Anyway, I just thought I'd sow some panic. :biggrin: Good luck everyone. :smile:
llys
Not sure how representative the Emmanuel mock interviews are for all colleges - e.g. Trinity College say on their website:

though I believe this is refering to some other 'mock' interview movies, not necessarily the Emmanuel ones? Anyway, I just thought I'd sow some panic. :biggrin: Good luck everyone. :smile:

Really, did you now. I hope you fail in that case (joke).
Reply 96
Yeah I did, I suggested that there are proteins that don't have a primary structure kept together by peptide bonds!! The interviewer said to me 'tell me what is riduclous about what you just said'. I was well scared!
Reply 97
Vazzyb
Yeah I did, I suggested that there are proteins that don't have a primary structure kept together by peptide bonds!! The interviewer said to me 'tell me what is riduclous about what you just said'. I was well scared!

How did you respond to the question?
The Emmanuel ab initio MML interview in the video is very similar to the one I had, despite the fact that mine was for Russian and the one in the video was Greek or something. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that I was interviewed at Emma for an MML ab initio :p: The format was quite representative anyway.

I made serious mistakes at interview, but no-one seemed to mind. I make even worse ones in my supervisions now. In fact, my Spanish supervisions feel a lot like my interview did, except more focused on one topic and slightly more relaxed.
Reply 99
Zoedotdot
The Emmanuel ab initio MML interview in the video is very similar to the one I had, despite the fact that mine was for Russian and the one in the video was Greek or something. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that I was interviewed at Emma for an MML ab initio :p: The format was quite representative anyway.

I made serious mistakes at interview, but no-one seemed to mind. I make even worse ones in my supervisions now. In fact, my Spanish supervisions feel a lot like my interview did, except more focused on one topic and slightly more relaxed.

:ditto: :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending