The Student Room Group

Vet Application Question - Can I have D104 as my 5th choice?

Hi all,

I'm a mature student studying an access course applying for vet medicine. I know you can have a maximum of 4 D100 vet courses on your UCAS application and the 5th option has to be another choice. However one of my choices is the D104 Vet med with preliminary year at Nottingham and I wondered does this count as part of the 4 choices or could I have this as my 5th choice along with 4 D100 courses.

Thanks and good luck to everyone applying!
Maybe not too helpful of a response but I actually have heard someone say on here previously that you can put the gateway/prelim course as your 5th option and have 4 other D100 options. I am not 100% on this info though and it was a while ago I saw it, perhaps you could somehow ask someone who works for UCAS to clarify? Maybe could ask Nottingham admissions if that fails.
On my RVC open day they said we could apply to 5 vet courses if one of them was a gateway/foundation year. I got in contact with UCAS to confirm this however and they said that they would not allow me to do this.

There's no harm in asking again though, in case policy has changed. :smile:
Reply 3
Having applied last cycle, this was not allowed. All foundation/prelim programs that lead directly onto the vet med degree upon passing were counted as one of your 4. The only one that wasn’t was the UCLan ‘foundation’ year which does not lead directly to vet med you have to essentially reapply to the 5year program!
Reply 4
Original post by louisvbird
On my RVC open day they said we could apply to 5 vet courses if one of them was a gateway/foundation year. I got in contact with UCAS to confirm this however and they said that they would not allow me to do this.

There's no harm in asking again though, in case policy has changed. :smile:

I went to an RVC online conference and they said the same thing, so that's quite odd.
Original post by Flappy
I went to an RVC online conference and they said the same thing, so that's quite odd.

Yep, it's not ideal that they're giving out this advice because UCAS are the ones who can actually enforce it and prevent you from applying to five courses haha.

I would advise anyone to check anything they're unsure about with the admissions teams or UCAS when applicable. :smile:
Reply 6
Daughter did the summer school at RVC and they definitely said she could apply for 4 D100 courses & use the 5th choice for their gateway. I'm guessing this was inaccurate then?
Reply 7
Original post by Vetling
Hi all,

I'm a mature student studying an access course applying for vet medicine. I know you can have a maximum of 4 D100 vet courses on your UCAS application and the 5th option has to be another choice. However one of my choices is the D104 Vet med with preliminary year at Nottingham and I wondered does this count as part of the 4 choices or could I have this as my 5th choice along with 4 D100 courses.

Thanks and good luck to everyone applying!

Nottingham specifically said at the open day not to apply for both. They said if you apply for D100 but are eligible for D104 that's what they'd consider you for and vice versa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending