The Student Room Group

BPhO Round 2 2023

How did everyone do? (Don't talk specifics because some people haven't done it yet).

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oneminuterice
How did everyone do? (Don't talk specifics because some people haven't done it yet).

A tiny bit easier than past papers but still generally impossible. Do you know when we get results?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by DGuliard
A tiny bit easier than past papers but still generally impossible. Do you know when we get results?

Well it will have to be before easter, so a few weeks max I'd guess. There's not too many papers, so you'd hope that it takes a lot less time than the round 1 😂
Well it will have to be before easter, so a few weeks max I'd guess. There's not too many papers, so you'd hope that it takes a lot less time than the round 1 😂

Do you know the grade boundary in 2022? I think the cut-off scores would be higher this year.
Original post by Yukikaze
Do you know the grade boundary in 2022? I think the cut-off scores would be higher this year.

I have absolutely no idea. I think that the point is that they don't say. How many questions did you answer?
Hi. I'm from China and we have just done the BPhO round2 paper this afternoon. The first problem is a bit wired and I only tried a few of them, the second question is not bad and I think I could get at least half of the marks. The thermal question is unexpectedly easy and I went through most of them. The last qs about space elevator is quite intriguing but I only finished the question to the one that ask me to calculate nanotubes, steels' tensile due to time limit. Generally I think it's a good paper and I could score around 40, do I have a chance getting a silver or gold reward?
I have absolutely no idea. I think that the point is that they don't say. How many questions did you answer?

I only answered about 30% of the questions. That's not very satisfying.
Original post by nhwbstbs
Hi. I'm from China and we have just done the BPhO round2 paper this afternoon. The first problem is a bit wired and I only tried a few of them, the second question is not bad and I think I could get at least half of the marks. The thermal question is unexpectedly easy and I went through most of them. The last qs about space elevator is quite intriguing but I only finished the question to the one that ask me to calculate nanotubes, steels' tensile due to time limit. Generally I think it's a good paper and I could score around 40, do I have a chance getting a silver or gold reward?

You deserve at least a silver, congratulations!
Really? Looking forward to that, and also good luck to you!
Original post by Yukikaze
You deserve at least a silver, congratulations!
Reply 9
pretty happy with my result, i got a gold, i don't think i got selected for the training camp though because they said in the email they'd "contact students very shortly" if they got accepted for the camp and i haven't received anything

how did everyone else do?
Could I ask for your marks(for getting a gold)?
Reply 11
they said in the email that they don't give out student marks
also turns out i actually got on the training camp somehow

anyone else got on the training camp??
My result hasn't come out yet. btw, do you have a general estimation for your marks?
Original post by pbzuko
they said in the email that they don't give out student marks
also turns out i actually got on the training camp somehow

anyone else got on the training camp??
Reply 13
Uh so obviously the questions didn't have marks on them so I'll just say how I thought I did for each question

1. I skipped most of question 1 because I thought it would waste my time
2. Answered this completely and I'm fairly certain I got it all correct because I got values very close to the true values when I searched up hydrogen energy levels after the paper
3. Answered all parts but one because I hadn't covered this topic in school yet (this was the thermo question)
4. Answered most parts, I think I missed two parts but got all the major parts of the question

So I'd say I got like 2/3rds of it correct maybe?
That's amazing, I think you did much better than me, (i.e. For Q3 I didn't get the question that want me to estimate the time for balloon to drops back floor, for Q4 i didn't finish all of them due to time limit.)
Original post by pbzuko
Uh so obviously the questions didn't have marks on them so I'll just say how I thought I did for each question

1. I skipped most of question 1 because I thought it would waste my time
2. Answered this completely and I'm fairly certain I got it all correct because I got values very close to the true values when I searched up hydrogen energy levels after the paper
3. Answered all parts but one because I hadn't covered this topic in school yet (this was the thermo question)
4. Answered most parts, I think I missed two parts but got all the major parts of the question

So I'd say I got like 2/3rds of it correct maybe?
Reply 15
That's amazing, I think you did much better than me, (i.e. For Q3 I didn't get the question that want me to estimate the time for balloon to drops back floor, for Q4 i didn't finish all of them due to time limit.)

Thanks, also i forgot in the results they gave grade boundaries:
Paper out of 114 marks maximum
Gold: 52-114 marks, 24 students
Silver: 30-51 marks, 75 students
Bronze: 20-29 marks, 14 students
Commendation: 0-19 marks, 5 students
Total: 118 students
Original post by pbzuko
Thanks, also i forgot in the results they gave grade boundaries:
Paper out of 114 marks maximum
Gold: 52-114 marks, 24 students
Silver: 30-51 marks, 75 students
Bronze: 20-29 marks, 14 students
Commendation: 0-19 marks, 5 students
Total: 118 students

Ok, I think I’ll get a silver, not bad...

Are your results out? I'm still waiting, quite anxious.
Reply 18
Original post by EvangelineYoung
Are your results out? I'm still waiting, quite anxious.

still waiting, hope nothing got wrong(worrying about whether did I write the correct candidate number)
Original post by fcxhjv
still waiting, hope nothing got wrong(worrying about whether did I write the correct candidate number)

Lol. Wish there would be responses soon.

Quick Reply

Latest