The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Graphic Design at Leeds Arts or Uni of Leeds??? Plz help

I have applied to both Leeds Uni and Leeds Arts for Graphic Design but I'm confused on which one to pick, I definitely want to go to Leeds next year because I like the city, whilst I've got an offer from Leeds Uni, I'm still waiting for Leeds Arts. Altho its ranked higher, Leeds Arts has way more facilities but less students and for a career in Graphic Design I'm not sure which is better, can anyone taking these course please help me out, what are the career prospects and how is the course in general???
Reply 1
Just wondering when you heard back from University of Leeds? My daughter has applied and we are waiting to hear back for her to decide!

Re the Graphic Design courses... We only looked at Leeds University - but that seemed to have a more research focus to the course, with a greater focus on written elements and some exams. At the talk (open day) the tutor made a point of saying that the theory was a big element of this course. It's obviously a large uni so has more student facilities and clubs etc.

I think Leeds Art will have a more creative focus as it is a creative uni. It will be smaller and so a different type of uni experience. Everyone there will be studying on creative courses which gives a different vibe to being in a general university.

Did you visit both? If not perhaps you could attend offer holder days...... or an open day.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by oriogonala
I have applied to both Leeds Uni and Leeds Arts for Graphic Design but I'm confused on which one to pick, I definitely want to go to Leeds next year because I like the city, whilst I've got an offer from Leeds Uni, I'm still waiting for Leeds Arts. Altho its ranked higher, Leeds Arts has way more facilities but less students and for a career in Graphic Design I'm not sure which is better, can anyone taking these course please help me out, what are the career prospects and how is the course in general???

Hi! I actually went to Leeds Arts last year and quit after a few weeks. Instead, I've applied to start at Leeds Uni this September taking Graphic Design. Although it's definitely subjective, here are a few of my reasons not listed in any particular order:

1. Leeds Arts is a very tiny university, it felt more like a highschool to me. The building layout is (again, subjective) somewhat depressing so I recommend you take a campus tour first. e. g. there's no large outdoor area on campus that many other universities offer. As the comment above mentioned, a bigger university means more facilities and that's always a plus.

2. There were only 12 societies compared to the 300+ that are run at Leeds Uni. Of those 12, there aren't many people in each.

3. I was taking Comic & Concept Art (may have been that I chose the wrong course so my fault). But again, classes felt more like an extra curricular activity or highschool workshop.

4. Leeds Uni is a Russell Group university. Funnily enough, it's ranked 8th in the UK for art/design related courses, whereas Leeds Arts is pretty far behind (not sure on the exact number).

The positives of Leeds Arts is that most of the staff are super friendly people but of course, it's best not to base your decision on those things since it's never a guarantee which teacher you'll get. They also invite you on a trip in the first week to get to know your classmates. You're given a time and meeting place depending on your course, e. g. for Comic & Concept Art, they hired out an arcade. They also gave everyone on the course a bag of art supplies which was a nice and welcoming touch.

So that's my little summary, I hope it helps but remember to take everything with a grain of salt since this is very much a reflection of my personal preferences for university.

My last piece of advice (although you likely already know) is to do as much research as possible, whether that's on university websites, reviews, campus tours, open days, talking to their current students, etc.

Whatever you choose, I hope it'll work out for the best!
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi! I actually went to Leeds Arts last year and quit after a few weeks. Instead, I've applied to start at Leeds Uni this September taking Graphic Design. Although it's definitely subjective, here are a few of my reasons not listed in any particular order:

1. Leeds Arts is a very tiny university, it felt more like a highschool to me. The building layout is (again, subjective) somewhat depressing so I recommend you take a campus tour first. e. g. there's no large outdoor area on campus that many other universities offer. As the comment above mentioned, a bigger university means more facilities and that's always a plus.

2. There were only 12 societies compared to the 300+ that are run at Leeds Uni. Of those 12, there aren't many people in each.

3. I was taking Comic & Concept Art (may have been that I chose the wrong course so my fault). But again, classes felt more like an extra curricular activity or highschool workshop.

4. Leeds Uni is a Russell Group university. Funnily enough, it's ranked 8th in the UK for art/design related courses, whereas Leeds Arts is pretty far behind (not sure on the exact number).

The positives of Leeds Arts is that most of the staff are super friendly people but of course, it's best not to base your decision on those things since it's never a guarantee which teacher you'll get. They also invite you on a trip in the first week to get to know your classmates. You're given a time and meeting place depending on your course, e. g. for Comic & Concept Art, they hired out an arcade. They also gave everyone on the course a bag of art supplies which was a nice and welcoming touch.

So that's my little summary, I hope it helps but remember to take everything with a grain of salt since this is very much a reflection of my personal preferences for university.

My last piece of advice (although you likely already know) is to do as much research as possible, whether that's on university websites, reviews, campus tours, open days, talking to their current students, etc.

Whatever you choose, I hope it'll work out for the best!

hello, im thinking of choosing leeds uni as my firm. did u transfer into uni of leeds? i wanted to ask a few questions if thats ok!
Original post by Duda005
hello, im thinking of choosing leeds uni as my firm. did u transfer into uni of leeds? i wanted to ask a few questions if thats ok!

I'm not the OP, but I've been offered (and accepted) a place on the course at Uni of Leeds this year. I also went to the offer holder day and attended the subject talk last week. I might be able to answer some questions! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by whatcameron
I'm not the OP, but I've been offered (and accepted) a place on the course at Uni of Leeds this year. I also went to the offer holder day and attended the subject talk last week. I might be able to answer some questions! :smile:
Hello, thanks for replying. I actually went to the offer holder day a few weeks back and it helped to answer all my questions. I’ve made it my first choice too :smile: thank you sm anyways 😊

Quick Reply

Latest