The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Graphic communication at uni of leeds

I applied to study graphic design next year. However I’ve heard that the course at Leeds uni is more research based rather than practical and creative compared to other universities like York St John or uni of Huddersfield (which I have applied). If you’ve studied graphics at Leeds (uni of) I’d love to hear some advice or your experience. How research based are we talking because essays are my biggest weakness! Also how are we assessed?
Hi there,

So glad to hear that you have applied to study with us!

All the universities you have mentioned are good universities. At York St John the graphic design course is 100% coursework which will be a mixture of essays, group work, presentations, exhibitions, etc... which will vary from module to module. You will also have the opportunity to work on live projects as well as have guest lectures from the industry which can help you make those connections for when you graduate. Throughout the course you will be able to build up your graphic design portfolio with new skills and methods which you learn throughout the course.

I am not sure what the courses at the other universities are like but I would suggest looking at the courses on the websites and the modules which the course entails to see which ones interest you the most. Our graphic design course can be found here Graphic Design BA (Hons) | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk).

I would also suggest attending the decision days for the different universities to get a feel for what each one is like but also allows you the opportunity to speak to current students and ask the lectures any questions which you may have about the courses. Our next decision day is the 11th May and the sign up link can be found here Decision Days | York St John University (yorksj.ac.uk).

I hope this helps and good luck with your decisions 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Quick Reply

Latest