The Student Room Group

best university for graphic design?

any recommendations from graphic design graduates?
Original post by p.m

Hey p.m,

We are a Digital Media and Design institution based in South London.

Here's a quote from Hugo Raymond one of our 2014 graduates who won a yellow pencil award at the D&AD awards (British Design & Art Direction).

"I chose Ravensbourne because I knew that it was a very forward thinking institution in the sense that all the elements of new technologies would be included in the course structure. I like that my course is so multi-disciplinary with opportunities arising to collaborate with students from different courses."

Adding to Hugo's point about Ravensbourne, we are a place that believe in the power of collaboration; this is emphasised down to the layout of the building where it is an open plan. The reason for this is so students can network freely and work on projects with each other; but we do have designated areas for the library, the editing suites and prototyping rooms for 3d printing and fashion equipment.

The graphic design course is 100% coursework with lessons taught by working tutors so you have opportunities to receive current advice on the industry! On the course itself you do learn to design for promotion, branding, typography with a few units about building/marketing your business or services as a freelancer. Feel free to check out the course info here.

As it's industry focused institution you do get a lot of networking events happening where industry professionals are invited to enjoy or speak.

If you need anything else feel free to get in touch :smile:

Best of luck with your search!

Bee :h:
Reply 2
Hey!

I'm just about to start studying Graphic Design at NTU (Nottingham Trent University) in a couple of weeks, so having just been through the whole process of researching every uni out there, to narrowing it down, to open days, applying, interviews and all the rest, I might be able to help you out a bit!

I'll move onto NTU in a bit because obviously I'm biased because it was my first choice all along! The first thing I did was find pretty much every uni that has a graphics course, using 'WhichUni?'. Then I read some of the information on both the courses and the uni's and narrowed it down to about 30 (there are A LOT of uni's out there!). I then looked at the league tables for Art & Design courses as well as the overall league tables and compared the ones I was interested in. From all the research I did, the ones that seemed to have the best reputation for Graphics are Kingston, Bath Spa, University of the Arts London, Leeds and Leeds College of Art, Norwich University of the Arts, Lincoln, Manchester Metropolitan, Plymouth, Coventry, Arts Uni Bournemouth and obviously NTU! Please bare in mind that I might have missed some and this is just my personal list of favourites.

I ended up applying for NTU, Norwich U of A, Plymouth, Lincoln and Arts Uni Bournemouth. I then changed Bournemouth to Northampton after going to an open day and not liking the look of the course. However, it is ranked as one of the best Arts Uni's in the country so it was just my personal opinion! Luckily I got offers for all the places and ended up choosing NTU as I felt it had the best reputation, incredible links to the industry, the Uni is absolutely beautiful, it's got one of the best SU's in the country and the course looked amazing and really varied and open so you can really do what YOU want to do!

Anyway, I've probably rambled on enough. Just want to quickly add that I was extremely impressed with Norwich Uni of the Arts, the only reason I didn't choose them was because 1. it is very far away from where I live and 2. they asked for BBB instead of a certain amount of UCAS points and I was expecting ABC and was unsure whether they would take me with that.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them! Sorry again for the essay!

Emily
Reply 3
Original post by memzie44
Hey!

I'm just about to start studying Graphic Design at NTU (Nottingham Trent University) in a couple of weeks, so having just been through the whole process of researching every uni out there, to narrowing it down, to open days, applying, interviews and all the rest, I might be able to help you out a bit!

I'll move onto NTU in a bit because obviously I'm biased because it was my first choice all along! The first thing I did was find pretty much every uni that has a graphics course, using 'WhichUni?'. Then I read some of the information on both the courses and the uni's and narrowed it down to about 30 (there are A LOT of uni's out there!). I then looked at the league tables for Art & Design courses as well as the overall league tables and compared the ones I was interested in. From all the research I did, the ones that seemed to have the best reputation for Graphics are Kingston, Bath Spa, University of the Arts London, Leeds and Leeds College of Art, Norwich University of the Arts, Lincoln, Manchester Metropolitan, Plymouth, Coventry, Arts Uni Bournemouth and obviously NTU! Please bare in mind that I might have missed some and this is just my personal list of favourites.

I ended up applying for NTU, Norwich U of A, Plymouth, Lincoln and Arts Uni Bournemouth. I then changed Bournemouth to Northampton after going to an open day and not liking the look of the course. However, it is ranked as one of the best Arts Uni's in the country so it was just my personal opinion! Luckily I got offers for all the places and ended up choosing NTU as I felt it had the best reputation, incredible links to the industry, the Uni is absolutely beautiful, it's got one of the best SU's in the country and the course looked amazing and really varied and open so you can really do what YOU want to do!

Anyway, I've probably rambled on enough. Just want to quickly add that I was extremely impressed with Norwich Uni of the Arts, the only reason I didn't choose them was because 1. it is very far away from where I live and 2. they asked for BBB instead of a certain amount of UCAS points and I was expecting ABC and was unsure whether they would take me with that.

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them! Sorry again for the essay!

Emily

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply, I've only just seen your post.
That was extremely helpful though, thank you so much! Unfortunately, I've been unable to make it to any of my open days but i've narrowed down my choices to Brighton, Falmouth, NTU and Norwich - now that you've mentioned it! (Most of these choices are based on what others have said.. I chose Brighton because one of my favourite designers graduated from there lol http://www.stevenwilsonstudio.com/work , as well as hearing a lot of good things about the course).

Still not 100% with my choices though.

Norwich's website is probably the best i've come across so far imo. Just applied for an open day at Norwich which is a few days before UCAS deadline :u:

How is the course at NTU? How is accommodation/nightlife etc?
Also, do you have any portfolio advice? or an online portfolio that i could take a look at?

Thanks for your help! :smile: and again, sorry for the late reply haha
Reply 4
The northern school of art ! Small uni, small group sizes and you get a studio space & Mac. I’m really stoked about going.
Original post by p.m

well i would state all high ranking universities , but it matters what you like , do you like high ranked and high expectations or do you want to learn new things and maybe get a job even if your not in the top 12 , it matters on you and your preferences , i apply to UAL and kingston , sent my portfolio and got nothing back , i got an offer from uni of reading and then you got my two lower ranked back up universities , so i don,t really have much choice , its the top 3 uni i have chose or no university , i mean it matters on you , undergraduate is a hard thing , it matters on you , can you afford it , is it good for you , is it good on the long run , even if i don,t go to an top ranked uni for undergraduate and i can still try again for masters - matters on the person , there is so many people without degrees getting much higher jobs than people with degrees from UAL and kingston

Quick Reply

Latest