The Student Room Group

Medicine Abroad!

Okay now people makes these threads but they always fail because everyone is so negative about going abroad to do Medicine if you can't get in here. Bassically i want to apply abroad however i have applied here this year, this is a back up! I just want to know if anyone has ANY experience or any information about if this is a good idea or which is best.

Option 1: Charles University, Prague (5 yr)
Option 2: Comenius University, Slovakia (6 yr)
Option 3: Gdansk Uni, Poland (6 yr)
Option 4: 1 Year Pre-Med Followed by going to St Matthews in the Cayman Islands.. I spoke to M&D Europe and they said as long as you complete the course chances are high of getting a place at SMU.

Option 5: Go back home to Pakistan & come back to the UK and do the PLAB.
Option 6: Get my AAAA / AAAB and reapply + Option 5 as backup!

I would maybe consider reapplying here again IF i get AAA in my resits in January... But 2 gap years and what if i dont get in!

A lot of options but which one! I dont even want to go abroad thats the worest thing but i will if i have too! I would prefer the 5 yr course as then i can back to the UK asap! But any reasons for picking the others?

This info will be useful for a lot of people its a fairly general Medicine Abroad thread not specifically my problems.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
crazylemon
What about Ireland? (I realise giving you even more chocies to make is not helpful!)

I looked into this but you need AAAA to even stand a chance and they dont interview! You need VERY VERY good grades bassically! If i could get into Ireland i would get into UK schools...

Also before anyone says you need to learn the language.. thats isnt really a problem! 2 years to learn a language which you only need to know the basics of and you could learn what you need and using english should be enough! Plus im fairly gd at language.. They say the course is MUCH harder though?
Reply 2
vj69
I looked into this but you need AAAA to even stand a chance and they dont interview! You need VERY VERY good grades bassically! If i could get into Ireland i would get into UK schools...

Also before anyone says you need to learn the language.. thats isnt really a problem! 2 years to learn a language which you only need to know the basics of and you could learn what you need and using english should be enough! Plus im fairly gd at language.. They say the course is MUCH harder though?

You sure about that? You intend to practice medicine (during clinical years) with only a basic grasp of the language. I wouldn't want someone who could only speak basic English to treat me, so the same applies with the other countries. I suggest you need to re-think that one.
Reply 3
Alex L
You sure about that? You intend to practice medicine (during clinical years) with only a basic grasp of the language. I wouldn't want someone who could only speak basic English to treat me, so the same applies with the other countries. I suggest you need to re-think that one.

I was only saying...hey im good with languages anyway i know, arabic, urdu, punjabi, hindi, english and bits of frech and german...

But i just CANNOT see myself going to uni elsewhere so this thread was pointless im going to just go upstairs and revise for my resits and get into a UK med school even if it kills me! lol
Reply 4
vj69
I was only saying...hey im good with languages anyway i know, arabic, urdu, punjabi, hindi, english and bits of frech and german...

But i just CANNOT see myself going to uni elsewhere so this thread was pointless im going to just go upstairs and revise for my resits and get into a UK med school even if it kills me! lol

Punjabi, Hindi and Urdu are basically the same language..no?
vj69

true for trinity college, not true for the other 4 - that being said, aab is probably required; but if u didnt do so well i believe rcsi has a foundation course which requires lower grades
Reply 6
Make_It

hindi and urdu...if you know one, you know the other is the general consensus i've found out from people who speak it.
i have a hindi-speaking friend who can understand bits of punjabi, but i think that it is different. that said, i don't speak/understand any of the 3, so i wouldn't be able to tell the difference!
but that's off topic.
Reply 7
Make_It

No, they are VERY distinct languages.

Hence the reason why most asian people can only fluently speak/understand one. :wink:
Reply 8
med_lion
No, they are VERY distinct languages.

Hence the reason why most asian people can only fluently speak/understand one. :wink:

Yeah they are, most people think that anyone who speaks urdu can speak hindi but not true! The hindi they speak in films is pretty much urdu! They have quite a lot of different words.. Also punjabi is completely different! I can also understand other types of dialect which are VERY different...
Reply 9
billykwok
true for trinity college, not true for the other 4 - that being said, aab is probably required; but if u didnt do so well i believe rcsi has a foundation course which requires lower grades

'To be competitive for the medical programme, applicants should present at least three ‘A2’ level grades plus one AS Level at grade A'

I would have thought the foundaiton course is for people who haven't done 3 out of Chem, Physics, Bio & Maths... I couldnt find anything about it though on their site :-S If i was to apply would they look at MY grades or my predicted? Also do they accept resitters? I might phone them..
Reply 10
Avoid the carribean as much as you can, for St Mathews the GMC say your qualification 'may' be accepted. http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/join_the_register/acceptable_primary_medical_qualification.asp

So they may or may not accept you, that would mean you could end up never practising medicine in this country and wasting 200,000$.

I also think that all those 'english' European degrees are a scam, in the sense that, they are only running the course to increase revenue, they don't care about academia or quality.

I would say out of those, your option 5 would be the best.
Reply 11
John Lee
Avoid the carribean as much as you can, for St Mathews the GMC say your qualification 'may' be accepted. http://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/registration_applications/join_the_register/acceptable_primary_medical_qualification.asp

So they may or may not accept you, that would mean you could end up never practising medicine in this country and wasting 200,000$.

I also think that all those 'english' European degrees are a scam, in the sense that, they are only running the course to increase revenue, they don't care about academia or quality.

I would say out of those, your option 5 would be the best.

Yeah i do agree with you, Option 5 is good cos the GMC recognises all the medical schools in Pakistan and they do come out with gd doctors unlike the bad rep for the Eeastern EU unis... I am looking into Ireland but from what i know its much harder to get in! My best bet is to apply back home & reapply here one more time IF i get my AAA in my resits... I guess ill wait till results to decide plan B..
Reply 12
vj69
Yeah i do agree with you, Option 5 is good cos the GMC recognises all the medical schools in Pakistan and they do come out with gd doctors unlike the bad rep for the Eeastern EU unis...
Yer Pakistani trained doctors have a great reputation... :shifty:
vj69
'To be competitive for the medical programme, applicants should present at least three ‘A2’ level grades plus one AS Level at grade A'

I would have thought the foundaiton course is for people who haven't done 3 out of Chem, Physics, Bio & Maths... I couldnt find anything about it though on their site :-S If i was to apply would they look at MY grades or my predicted? Also do they accept resitters? I might phone them..

i certainly know a few people who only got aab and are studying in rcsi or ucd this year; and i also met a guy who told me he got 30 points in his IB 2 years ago and no medical schools would take him, so he had to apply to rcsi's foundation course and he is in 1st year medicine now. Having said that i would say all the above information i provided are anecdotal; i did not get these from the concerning schools.

If you were to apply they would not look at your predicted grades - instead they only give out offers once your A levels results are out, you won't hear anything back until then.
Their system is very different from UCAS in that no personal statement and interview is required, all you are to them is just a number - if you get a certain number of points, you either get/ don't get allocated a place.
vj69
Okay now people makes these threads but they always fail because everyone is so negative about going abroad to do Medicine if you can't get in here. Bassically i want to apply abroad however i have applied here this year, this is a back up! I just want to know if anyone has ANY experience or any information about if this is a good idea or which is best.

Option 1: Charles University, Prague (5 yr)
Option 2: Comenius University, Slovakia (6 yr)
Option 3: Gdansk Uni, Poland (6 yr)
Option 4: 1 Year Pre-Med Followed by going to St Matthews in the Cayman Islands.. I spoke to M&D Europe and they said as long as you complete the course chances are high of getting a place at SMU.

Option 5: Go back home to Pakistan & come back to the UK and do the PLAB.
Option 6: Get my AAAA / AAAB and reapply + Option 5 as backup!

I would maybe consider reapplying here again IF i get AAA in my resits in January... But 2 gap years and what if i dont get in!

A lot of options but which one! I dont even want to go abroad thats the worest thing but i will if i have too! I would prefer the 5 yr course as then i can back to the UK asap! But any reasons for picking the others?

This info will be useful for a lot of people its a fairly general Medicine Abroad thread not specifically my problems.

Sorry, are you resitting your A2s? I thought UCL dont accept resit candidates :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Make_It

Lol no.
Reply 16
SilentGirl
Sorry, are you resitting your A2s? I thought UCL dont accept resit candidates :s-smilie:

It seems as the OP's UCL interview is for a different course.
nas7232
It seems as the OP's UCL interview is for a different course.

Haha thanks for pointing that out..ah blind me !

But, im sure all med schools are strict about resit candidates except few, may be he applied to those ones :s-smilie:

Good luck to all. Hope we all get in somewhere at the end.
Alex L
There was a medical student from Prague on here a few months back, haven't heard from him since but think his user name was PragueMedicalStudent or similar so OP could PM him.

Anyway, he said that you only needed a very basic grasp of the language because in your group would be people who spoke fluently/ better than you, who could be used to translate
vj69
Yeah they are, most people think that anyone who speaks urdu can speak hindi but not true! The hindi they speak in films is pretty much urdu! They have quite a lot of different words.. Also punjabi is completely different! I can also understand other types of dialect which are VERY different...
Presumably though they have similar strctures, where as hindi and polish would be very different. For example if your fluent in Spanish, it isn't too difficult to pick up Italian. However German or Russian is another kettle of fish

Latest

Trending

Trending