The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Msc Sound design

Hi,
I am applying for Msc sound design in Edinburgh Univ. i have already an offer from bournemouth univ. My confusion is which one should i choose, as the fee part is double as compared to bournemouth. Is anyone pursuing a course in sound design can help me to know future job prospects really depend on edinburgh or bournemouth?
Reply 1
I applied to the University of Edinburgh last year, but ended up not taking it because of costs. I do regret it though as the current MSc program I'm in is already halfway done and I don't have great projects to make a showreel from.

Here are some thoughts you should consider:

- The notion of attending a school is one thing, but focusing on exactly what you want to be doing in sound is another. There are many potential career options in sound. Do you want to be working as a dialogue editor, working in ADR, etc. etc. I'd very much advise you on taking these considerations and checking to see if the content you want to learn is covered in both curriculums.
- Getting a job in sound is not the same as getting a job in something a lot more practical like engineering. Regardless of how you want to specialize in sound, you will need a portfolio of projects to show potential employers. Take the types of projects you could potentially be working on as another consideration. The portfolio / demo reel / showreel is your calling card into landing an interview.
- After taking into the above considerations, evaluate how similar the curriculums are. What school you go to for a potential career in any sound related field does not matter, the demo reel does.

The main basis for me not attending edinburgh was the finances. Thought I could get a great showreel from the current school I'm in, however that has not been the case (especially with all of the rejection letters from potential employers I've been facing). I regret undertaking an MSc that was too specialized / niche.

I hope these thoughts help!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending