The Student Room Group

Which is best study to navigate to? PhD or MSc

So here is my dilemma, I have previous degree in design now currently doing a PgDip in Interior Design. I enjoy the aspect of product design engineering more, since I’ve had previous work experience and we studied a bit of it while aiming to complete my course.

I love science and art, product design engineering was perfect for me, however I was thinking should I complete a PhD in product design engineering or MSc, given that I already have experience.

I chose to do interior design, to have a better chance at getting closer to product design engineering.

Should I do a PhD or MSc?
Original post by peacefullysal_
So here is my dilemma, I have previous degree in design now currently doing a PgDip in Interior Design. I enjoy the aspect of product design engineering more, since I’ve had previous work experience and we studied a bit of it while aiming to complete my course.

I love science and art, product design engineering was perfect for me, however I was thinking should I complete a PhD in product design engineering or MSc, given that I already have experience.

I chose to do interior design, to have a better chance at getting closer to product design engineering.

If you are looking for a change of career direction an MSc is more appropriate. PhDs are research qualifications intended for progressing into academia, though they are also sought after for highly technical/analytical roles in industry.

A PhD would be rather different to undergraduate design, it would be research focused with the aim of investigating something novel.
Original post by mnot
A PhD would be rather different to undergraduate design, it would be research focused with the aim of investigating something novel.

Thank you both for the information, I had to think about it through the past few days and the reason why I wanted to do a PhD is because my research would be about design investigation on sustainability in environments, focusing on architecture and plants. Focusing more on the necessity of a plant humidifier. Since the average person doesn’t know how to look after their plants. Which will eventually lead me to research more about it and hopefully create my own humidifier, my research would also focus on the sustainability of the material and atmosphere.

I know it takes 4-6 years but, I found more luck with academia than working.
Reply 4
Thank you both for the information, I had to think about it through the past few days and the reason why I wanted to do a PhD is because my research would be about design investigation on sustainability in environments, focusing on architecture and plants. Focusing more on the necessity of a plant humidifier. Since the average person doesn’t know how to look after their plants. Which will eventually lead me to research more about it and hopefully create my own humidifier, my research would also focus on the sustainability of the material and atmosphere.

I know it takes 4-6 years but, I found more luck with academia than working.

Just a side note about product design through a PhD, anything created may not necessarily be yours but owned instead or primarily by the university. Not sure if this matters, just incase you were looking to sell a product as a consequence of your research.

I also doubt academia will be any more forgiving or easier than employment, its often much, much harder.

Good luck,

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest